White Rim OHV Trail

White Rim OHV Trail is a 98.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 98.8 miles Elevation Gain: 8,251 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

Beautiful trail. No crazy obstacles, lots of cliff side driving. Did overnight, camped at Potato Bottom. Went counterclockwise meaning second day was a long one. Excellent scenery!

ohv/off road driving

drove this today in my 2015 jeep wglr unlimited with my hubby as he followed in his2013 chevy silverado. we drove the whole trail in 8 hours. it was amazing. only a few spots were a little on the crazy side but that wont stop us from doing again sometime. a heads up..there are 3 major camps near by that cost $20 a night cash/check. with fire pit but u have to carry out ur ashe and there are 12 primitive camps with only an out house near by. they do not cost. Bring LOTS of WATER. there are no near by stores for convienence. it was 104 today.

Easily the best thing I've ever done! I went solo in my Jeep Wrangler and took 4 days to complete which was extra time because I wanted to enjoy it. I definitely recommend you be at least a moderately experienced driver to tackle this one. There are 3 or 4 points that give even super experienced 4 x 4 drivers pause. I've Ben all over the United States, to over 40 States, and this is by far the best drive I've ever done.

ohv/off road driving

I did the eastern portion of it today from Shafer Rd to Lathrop Rd and then back-tracked out. Loved it, views were amazing and the road was in great shape. Next time I’ll have to book a camp spot much earlier and finish the trail ...

Mon Sep 03 2018

This trail was amazing, long and scenic. I went June and water was our lifesaver. Bring a lot and be prepared for some bumpy patches. Not recommended for beginners but you can do it.

Fri Aug 24 2018

Incredible trail. Don’t miss it. Drove in FJCruiser, 33” MTs and no problem. There some very high cliffs and steep grades. Watch for the random rocks and dips in an otherwise issue-free trail. It’s in far better shape than the washboard filled trail I remember from 25 years ago. This time (aug 2018) stayed at Murphy’s B for a night. 1/2 way through the trail and perched atop a plateau. Windy night in our hammocks but wouldn’t have changed a thing. The drive up and down are not for sissies. Hardscrabble and Lathrop Canyon also have their steep spots. 4wd and clearance / AT/MT tires are a must.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Did this trail counter clockwise in three days in mid July. It was expectedly hot 100-120 degrees with almost no shade. We stayed at potato bottom A the first night. This is a beautiful spot on the river (a lot of mosquitos). Then took our time down to Murphy A. This is a must! By far the coolest campsite I have ever stayed at. (Make sure to stay at A not B or C) then went to airport A. This is a rather plain site. No shade or shelter. Beautiful view of airport tower though. We then went down Lathrope to the river and spent the day there. Overall and incredible trail. Pretty easy, some difficult spots. We then drove to Moab down the potash trail, worth it. I would recommend some off-road tires and to air down, at least in the sandy spots if you want to slow down. We did it in a 2017 Tacoma with a 2 inch lift and wrangler duratrac tires.

Wed May 02 2018

Unbelievable experience. I took a guided mountain biking tour over three days, averaging just over 30 miles a day. I’m a casual biker, so there were some technically challenging hill climbs and switchbacks that I had to take a break on. This was a bucket list ride in my opinion!

Fri Apr 13 2018

Drove and camped along the White Rim Trail over three nights in early April. Some of the most amazing scenery I’ve ever seen in my life. Every turn provided excitement in navigating the terrain and new and stunning landscapes to enjoy. Probably the best-kept outdoors secret in Utah.

Wed Mar 28 2018

Gorgeous!

Fri Mar 16 2018

We did this in one day and highly recommend in the future splitting this over 2 days. It took us 12 hrs. The views are amazing. Not for the faint of heart and highly recommend being prepared for any scenario. It’s very remote no cell service for most of the trail and very little traffic. Can’t wait to go back and do it again!

Sat Feb 24 2018

Been on that trails. Loved it

Thu Jan 25 2018

Stock 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Off Road Tires. Awesome views. White Crack campsite was the best. Potato Bottom has shade (and mosquitoes). I recommend just a bit more lift than a stock Jeep, but didn't scrape...much :)

Mon Nov 27 2017

Did this thanksgiving weekend Really amazing 100 miles overland nothing technical 2 mildly difficult spots Murphys Hogback and between Potato Bottom and Hardscrabble campground Started from Shafer trail at 9:45 am reached Hardscrabble Campground at 4:30 pm Could have completed the trail but had a campgrond booked at Hardscrabble Bottom Completed tha last 20 miles the next day Awesome views but be prepared for an early sunset Good luck its still open

Sat Oct 21 2017

Absolutely stunning. Most incredible 100 mile loop with breathtaking views and constantly changing terrain and scenery. I would go back and do this a second and third time. Reserve a campsite and stay overnight to maximize the experience

Sun Aug 13 2017

Great trail to romp around in an overland rig.

Tue Jul 18 2017

This trail was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! Although it was so treacherous I don't think I can ever do it again!!! I am Terrified of heights. If driving back and forth on the edge of a canyon won't bother you make sure you video it!!!! I am so glad I did it! We drove up from Moab to the top of the canyon.

Tue Jun 27 2017

Schafer was closed due to rain the day before so we did part of the White Rim trail. It's pretty bumpy, but you'll be golden with high clearance. There was one random spot with cell reception, pretty bizarre as it was in the middle of nowhere. Don't count on that though, come prepared, there's nothing out there.

Fri Apr 21 2017

We took Shafer Trail and turned on to White Rim trail and to the Lathrop Trail to Colorado river, then back to Potash road and go to Moab. The White Rim part requires a permit which we got online (it's free). We drove a rental Chevy Tahoe which is Ok. The trip is bumpy but the SUV handled it well. White Rim requires 4WD with high clearance. The part from Shafer to Colorado took about 3 hours with stops at a couple of places including Musselman Arch. The return to Potash took 1.5 hours and maybe another 1.5-2hours back to Moab.

Tue Sep 27 2016

Beautiful views, steep drops and plenty of exposure. One way or another, will take your breath away. Schafer Trail is an exposed shelf road that takes you into the canyon. Murphy's Hogback and Hardscrabble Hill are not for those that fear heights or exposure. Trail can be tight and very unforgiving, gotta be careful.

Wed Aug 24 2016

This trail is a must do for everyone when you get to Moab. It is super easy for all 4X4 drivers and a lot of fun.

Sat Jun 20 2015

An easy road for our 4Runner but really bumpy. We started from Mineral Bottom and ran it counter-clockwise, spending the night at Hardscrabble. It was a great spot with shade but at night there were hundreds of mosquitos and biting flies. The Off bug spray worked to fend off the mosquitoes but the flies didn't care less. We left with lots of bites. We went in June 2015 on Thursday-Friday and saw 7 other vehicles but no other campers. Before we ran out of daylight we hiked to Fort Bottom and visited the tower and saw the cabin on the floor. The tower was really cool! The next day we did the remaining 70 miles in one day. It took us about 6 hours while stopping numerous times to takes a gazillion photos. So beautiful and remote.

Wed May 20 2015

As many of you know springtime arrived 2 months early ending an epic ski season in 2015. I work in the bike industry and being occupied with way too much fixing other people's bikes I hadn't had a chance to work my way south to ride in Moab. A last minute invite turned into my first ever White Rim ride. Arriving after days of rain the pass was still open but a little muddy. I was grateful to have a fat bike with those huge tires that float in sand and mud generally. My compatriots struggled a bit more with mud and stability. After arriving on the actual White Rim most of our mud troubles were gone. Our first day, because of permits was only 18 miles in to our first camp, at Airport Rock. The next day would be 52 miles to Hardscrabble Bottom Camp Site. The permits made it so that we had to envelope the hardest climbs of the White Rim Trail into one (the second) day made up of two decisively difficult ascents: Murphy's Hogback and Hardscrabble hill. The total mileage for the day was 52 miles and with my group definitely a challenging one. I did a solo side trip out to White Crack to see what that was all about. It was a piece of mining history that I'm glad I didn't miss. Our final day it had rained several hours into morning so we woke to wet ground. The track runs along the Green River most of the way to Mineral Bottom and was mostly mud. Fat tires don't shed that kind of mud easily. Arriving at the exit we had enough extra water to get our bikes kinda clean for the ride out of the bottom of canyon country. Those switchbacks were easy compared to the other climbs we'd done the day before. The mesa road out seemed a bit long for my taste with little to distract. But nonetheless, it was an awesome adventure on bikes with full vehicle support, somewhat like multi-day races I've done. Recommend: Yes. Bike: Fat Water: lots, no hydration bag, just bottles History: Raye Ringholz, Uranium Frenzy: Boom and Bust on the Colorado Plateau

Mon Feb 02 2015

It has been quite a few years s ince we drove this loop trail. We did it in two days, camping overnight at the White Crack campground. It is possible to do this in one day, (this way you don't need a permit) but it's recommended to take two days for a slower more enjoyable pace. The trail itself was fairly easy, but some nice views. I wish the administrators would change the activity from off road driving to 4x4 driving, since we all know not to drive off road, it is not cool to make new trails.

Thu Sep 12 2013

Awesome trail. I had done the Schafer Trail in the spring and planned to do WR since I saw it from the Island in the Sky and Dead Horse Point overlooks a year ago. With my new Rubicon the entire valley is open to travel. There are NO FACILITIES on this trail. Pit toilets. No benches. No shade. No water. What you bring is what you have. Plan ahead. I traveled in August. HOT!

Tue Sep 11 2012

My family and me took this wonderful trail down into the canyon where we were able to get a true sense of scale for the surrounding landscape. Standing on the top of the rim looking down more than 1000ft. is awe inspiring especially when you know you will be down there with only the provisions you bring along. Our family of four boys along with my wife booked a campsite about half way long the trail and gathered provisions prior to ever entering this wonderful 100 mile adventure. The only comforts of life are the pit toilets along the way which are located near the campsites. There is no water along the trail so bring enough for the trip. We did the trail in two days, if I were to do it again I would plan on doing the trial in three days with taking more time for side hikes and picture taking. Our Ford Excursion fit well on most parts of the trail, however there were a couple of switchbacks where I needed to do a three point turn. A standard 4wd SUV with low range is sufficient for this trail. Prior to our departure we inquired about the condition of the trail as there was unusual rain that occurred prior to our arrival and a portion of the trial was closed due to it being washed out. The trail was repaired and perfect for our adventure. Once in the canyon the landscape becomes larger than life. There are times when the landscape becomes mundane especially when you average 8 miles per hour. We saw several mountain bike groups along the way which would also be a great way to see the geography. Most of them had support vehicles making for a great vacation with friends and family who love the outdoors. if you are plan to take on this adventure make sure you purchase any one of several books about the trail as this will give you history and side hike ideas.

Thu Apr 12 2012

3 day bike trip around the rim. Beautiful shared trip with close and new friends. Biking and camping adventure is a magical place overlooking the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers.