Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

White Pine Lake Trail

White Pine Lake Trail is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,762 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream

icy

Awesome loop ! Breathtaking views of Red Pine and White Pine ! Great hike ! Total Elevation Gain is actually 3400 ft w/ a RT distance of about 10 miles.

Beautiful day on the mountain! Trail is mostly covered in packed snow. Spikes definitely help but not mandatory. Given how warm it has been I was surprised at how much snow there is.

GORGEOUS! I did this yesterday Saturday 10/26 with warm temps (60s?) and blue bird skies and it was mostly thick packed snow/ice trail with about 6 inches (?) of fluffy powder on each side of the track. About a half mile from the lake the packed trail turned into deep foot steps which took extra energy for the final push. I made it to an overlook above the lake but I couldn’t find a trail down to the lake or even foot steps in the snow so I just hung out at the overlook above the lake. The wind picked up along the ridge and I knew a storm would be rolling in last night at some point so I only spent a few minutes there. BE SAFE. I wore trail runners and spikes - my feet were wet the entire way but the temps were warm enough so my feet were chilly but not cold. However if temps had dropped I would’ve had to turn around. I think avalanches can happen in very little snow (not sure if they can happen on this trail?) so I stayed alert but wasn’t worried. I started around 11/12 and got back to my car around 4:30. There were about 5 other people on the trail once I passed the Red Pine White Pine split. What a glorious day!!

I hiked to the lake on Wednesday. There were other hikers on the trail, but I was the only one to reach the lake. Stay on the road and don’t try to cross the boulder field to take a short cut to the lake. The snow makes crossing dangerous. The snow was a foot deep at the top.

turned back just before lake due to snowdrifts since didn't have snowshoes

Beautiful hike! We got to the lake right as the storm moved in tonight; difficult journey back to the car but oh so worth it.

Beautiful overnight by the lake. Some patches of ice on the way up that are unavoidable and if you’re staying the night up there it’s quite cold... be prepared.

Beautiful, shimmering aspens, frozen waterfall, scenic overlook

It was a great hike. Up and back in about 5 hours

I made this trail into a two day backpacking trip. I hiked up to White pine lake at sunset and set up camp. The trail is a constant climb until the last half mile, my legs were dead after the ascent. Then I woke up in the morning and made the descent, which was ten times easier. Overall it was 12 miles and took me 6 hours of hiking, but I did have a heavy pack so you might be faster than that.Make sure you have good shoes as the trail is icy in some sections. Great hike!

Beautiful hike, loved the changing leaves. At the time we hiked the lake was very very low which was disappointing but still a beautiful hike.

At this time of year it's the changing colors of the aspens and maples that are breathtaking, so coming down after 3pm made for beautiful light on the fall colors that I didn't appreciate going up. The semi-frozen streams are also really cool. But the lake was a little underwhelming as water level low and definitely not blue by October. Hiking notes: take layers as it is cold at the summit. 90% of it is a slow uphill, there is nothing more than 30 degrees incline so technically not hard, it's just a really long walk up. Trail is mostly well cleared so low top trail shoes are fine. The last switchback to get to the lake is fully exposed, when you get to the top you can see the lake, and you hike down a bit if you want to get to the lake edge. Total trip time for me was 5.5 hours.

One of my favorite hikes in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Beautiful views across the talus field. Lake is nice, though low. Far less people on this trail than Red Pine Lake which made it very quiet and nice. For pics visit: https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/10/08/hikes-in-little-cottonwood-canyon/

I was lucky enough to hit the new snow from last night before much of it melted today. Everything looked amazing this morning! Temps were below freezing until the sun came over the ridge but with the right clothes and shoes it was just great! Next time I will have to hit one of the peaks above the lake too.

Beautiful hike! I definitely recommend this one if you’re up for the challenge, bring hiking boots, around this time it’s super icy up there, I also recommend you bring snacks! The lake is such a reward! It’s a hard one for sure though.

Very quiet, and beautiful!