White Pine Lake Trail

White Pine Lake Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream

Great morning hike before it gets too hot. Beautiful, clear lake - you can see the trout swimming around. I would rate it as a moderate hike- it's long but not overly steep.

Oops! Meant to stay don't start this hike late in the day!~

Start this hike late in the day. It's a long hike, and I see people struggling to get up the mountain around noon when I'm almost all the way down and done with my hike. I didn't quite use my 3L of water, but it was cold this morning (5:45am) and not hot yet when I came back down. Take the time to explore the meadow on the south side of the lake. It is gorgeous!

My first time on this trails, it's a good hike, steep, rocky somewhat hard but perfect for a good workout for the day. It's took me and my sister about 6 hrs. both way, we stop quiet a bit to take pictures. Beautiful lake and sceneries, "oh and don't forget to put some bugs spray on we got a lot of bites from those nasty flies. Drink a lot of water and bring your walking sticks it's very helpful.

This was a great hike. Definitely a challenge. Steep and lots of rocks. LOTS of rocks! Hiking shoes are best. We drank all of our 2L of water each by the time we reached a miles left coming down. Bring lots of water. Those who were going up when we were coming down had a hard time because it was getting hot. We left at 9:30am and made it to the lake by 1:15 with lots of rest stops going up. Left the lake at 2 and made it back to the car by 4:30. Definitely worth the hike!! It’s so beautiful! Enjoy!

If you start early, it's all shade all the way until you get to the alpine area of the hike. Beautiful lake! Tons of butterflies and flowers.

Love this trail! A little rocky and steep at times, but the lake at the end was beautiful!!!! It was about 5 1/2 each way!!!

This trail was a challenge for us because of the altitude and incline. (We are from the Midwest) so we just took our time and our bodies adjusted. Our 14 and 11 year old athletic kids did great. The wildflowers in June were gorgeous! The lake at the end was beautiful, a perfect place to rest a bit and have lunch. Took us 6.5 hours. Met a nice local who kindly distracted us the last mile and shared some Utah history. We were glad we took our hiking poles and wore hiking shoes. Took 2 liters of water per person and drank most of it.

It took us 6.5 hrs round trip. We took our time to take pictures of a moose and some deer, talk to people on the trail and a short dip in the cold water of the lake. Worth it every step of the way! Nice views, lots of shade, interesting trail, some patches of ice, one waterfall and some little streams all the way! Better to do early morning. Lots of people on our way down by 11 am. We started at 6:00 am. Enough sunlight early morning.

Great hike, closer to 5 1/2 miles each way. We spent two nights. Last mile was steep with our over night packs. 11 and 13 year old daughters did great!

Gorgeous hike. Makes it way through lots of different terrain. Loose rocks and some water and mud on the trail but not bad. We hiked up and ran down. The trail become technical for a run with loose rocks etc but totally doable. Didn’t see many people. Maybe only 5-6. I’ll do this again in the fall. Beautiful.

Gradual incline the entire way. Gets a tad bit steeper the last mile and half or so. Views are breathtaking and worth every step.

Did this hike last night, the trail is fairly wet and muddy at times so bring boots, plenty of wildlife so watch out for moose near the trail. Lake is beautiful though and definitely recommend!

Great destination. Love the aspen forest mixed and with white pines. Trail is rocky and I am glad I wore hiking boots instead of shoes and there were several stream crossings again easier in boots. The lake is wonderful with a few areas of soft grass to sit or lay on and relax after the strenuous hike up to the lake.

Steady climb - no major climbs or scrambles. You follow what looks like an old mining/access road to the lake. Leave some time to scramble around the area and check it out

Beautiful hike, definitely recommend this trail. If you have young children I might stick with something a little shorter. The view at the end makes the hike worth it.

5 miles one way. Beautiful lake with views all around.

The only reason I docked a star is because half the trail is loose rocks. The other half is soft dirt, and some mud and water. My feet were never fully covered in water, so don’t worry about that. Only a few portions of the hike were steep enough for me to contemplate taking a quick break to catch my breath, though I didn’t stop till the top. The lake is gorgeous! Crystal clear water. It looks as if you could safely get a glass of water right from the lake. I hiked all the way around the lake and up to a ledge high above the lake, perched up on a mountain of boulders. I got some great panorama photos from that point. I spent around 60-90 minutes at the lake before heading back down. I started about 11:20a and got back to the trailhead at 4:30. So it’s not too long of a hike. And there weren’t many people on the trail. I passed 10-15 groups, total, and only remember beautiful woman in the orange shirt. ;) Overall, great hike! The lake makes it well worth the trek!

Great hike. We started at 5:30am. We saw 2 bull moose and 1 cow on the way up. They were all close to the trail. Beautiful scenery. Still water on the trail in places but I wore trail runners. No problem. We tried to hike from White Pine to Red Pine. Bad idea. We had to turn around and come back. Nothing but boulders. Also, our trackers had a total of 10 miles to the lake and back. We parked right at the trail head. The sign said 4 miles to the lake.

Just went this morning. Got started at 715 and the lot was already full. Mostly from overnighters and those going to Red Pine. Overall not too bad. Like anything else in the Cottonwoods, its a climb, but there is never anything really steep. Still a few streams and some mud so be prepared for that. I suggest getting started early before the crowds show up. I'd say 630 to 7 ought to do it.

Ended up with 10.2 miles round trip. Not the best for running with all of the loose rocks but it works. The first stream you come across that could be filtered, aside from the river in the beginning, is currently 3 miles up from the parking lot. Overall a great trail with a uintas type feel to the lake.

Completed this today with full backpack on as a training hike for longer excursions in the Uintas. This is a nice hike as the trail is not too technical and not as crowded as the neighboring Red Pine trail. The lake is surrounded by boulders, and the feeling is as if you are high up in a wilderness alpine setting much further from civilization. The snow is almost gone and the flowers are blooming. I surprised a young bull moose that was munching shrubs just off the trail. According to my Strava app, I logged 11 miles, with a little meandering at the lake, but I would say this trail is closer to 10.5 miles. I have done this many times and is a favorite of mine.

Visited yesterday. Nice distance and elevation gain for a workout. Trail was clear of snow and ice. Plenty of water to filter along the entire hike so you don’t have to carry much. It’s always windy at the top and a little chilly, even in the later summer months. A light jacket is always nice. Tried to hike over to upper red pine from over the west side of white pine. I couldn’t see the lake and couldn’t find my grounding without it so I turned back. Has anyone hiked from there to red pine?

Continuously trying to prove my own bad-assery to myself, I did this yesterday. Trail is mostly under shade which is really nice, but not when you get to the switchbacks right before the lake. One of the more beautiful hikes I've ever done. So many different picturesque spots and small waterfalls. Couple of places where you cross snow at the end but not enough to wear spikes or anything, now. Fairly difficult due to length and elevation but because it's mostly under shade, on an overcast day it was perfect.

This hike was very difficult. The way there is a constant ascent. Make sure you bring water as we were rationing our left over water on the way down haha. The view at the lake is well worth the effort though!

Full disclosure: we only did the first mile of this hike to the Red Pine split, but what an amazing trail so far! So many families with small children doing just a portion of the trail as well. I love a trail that is gorgeous even if you don’t go to the destination. The journey, any part of it, is worth it on the trail. Views of the valley, the river, and a gradual incline made this a nice little hike. Would love to come back someday in better shape and do the whole thing!

Incredible hike!!! We only made it 4 miles up, shy of the lake by a mile or so. We were not prepared to traverse the knee to waist deep snow in spots. Must do! We will be back!!!

Challenging trail especially in the snow because some areas aren't very packed so you end up knee deep or more. Most people choose the Red Pine Trail over this one because it's a little shorter and a little less steep. This one is more peaceful because there were no other hikers just two skiers. I'll definitely try this one again when everything is thawed out more.

Loved this trail. Lots of beautiful scenery, and in late July the wildflowers were even more beautiful than the mountains! Ran into a moose sitting in the middle of the trail! It’s a bit of a challenge, but incredibly worth the effort!

We got on the trail around 9 AM...only a few other cars in the parking lot. Trail is/was mostly visible due to previous skiers/snowshoers. Attempted to follow trail using AllTrails App, ended up cutting fresh trail for a while. Didn't make it the whole way up because the weather changed and snow was falling pretty hard. Visibility was low at points. Will be attempting again in a month or so.