White Pine Lake Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream

Beautiful views almost the entire time! It was a gradual incline until the last mile before the lake, but still
totally doable. Sadly .5 miles to the lake the snow pack dies out and you would need snow shoes to get through the final section so we had to turn around. Bummer, but the views up to that point were awesome.

I love this trail, I’ve been here several times and great incline not too steep but long. When you bet to “top” of that branches into couple trails. On the right. Ore covered and foresty and left more views and more of the similar incline as the beginning.

Loved this hike! Not as steep as Red Pine but longer. I’d agree with others who’ve characterized this as moderate rather than difficult. The lake at the top is a gem. Still doable without poles or traction but It is a bit slippery in spots though, especially once it starts warming up. The snow is packed now so you don’t really need gaiters.

Great day hike! Trail was snow covered from 9000 feet to the top. This was the most difficult part for me as I’m not accustomed to altitude ( from PA). Below that it is very rocky, so be prepared for both. The lake was beautiful, though there are other small lakes on the way up. Very few others on the trail, which was well marked even in the snowy areas, thanks to those who went before us. Views were absolutely spectacular. Despite the cool temps, the sun was very warm. Bring sunscreen, especially now that there is snow.

Went on oct 14. Cold day with recent snowfall. Lightly snowing the entire hike. Trail was a snowpacked singletrack almost the entire way. During the last half mile or so (at around 10,000 feet) I hiked through 2-3 feet of snow following the footsteps of the maybe one person had hiked through it before me. Sorry for the post holing.. The lake was amazing in the snow. Complete solitude, I was the only one up there.

The trail grew less and less defined as the snow got deeper, I could tell others had turned around due to the snow. Be prepared with gaiters and spikes! although I didn’t have either and I was fine

Entire hike took 3h 40m round trip. 10.7 miles RT recorded.

This is definitely not hard. It’s moderate. It seems long though and not as pretty as red pine in my opinion. The lake is amazing though and better than red for sure. Without the ending I’d have given a 3 star actually.

Trail was in great shape, very little mud, and leaves are changing and look great. Long hike, be prepared, and enjoy the views.

I go on a hike every Sunday and this has to have been one of the most memorable. The hike is very strenuous and make sure you have some water. You will get tired but keep going, the end lake is way worth it! Pretty steep towards the end.

Beautiful hike! Decently steep going up but feels great when you reach the lake! Water and surrounding scenery is breath-taking. Favorite hike in the Wasatch!

beautiful Trail lots of Pines the lake at the end is just absolutely pristine

50lb pack was tough

I don’t know why it says this is a 9 mile hike. Did it today and it was 12 miles in total. Definitely a good hike. Took us about 6 hours to complete.

Good length for a day hike. Trail is rocky so wear appropriate footwear. Lake was really low, so probably a good late spring early summer hike to see the full lake. Definitely still worth it. The last mile or so is a grind. Plenty of other people on the trail, Utah hikers are so friendly!

very peaceful hike. We backpacked our gear in for camping at the lake. too us 2 hours and 50 minutes with 20 to 30 lbs packs. we left at 5pm. it was perfect. it really shouldn't matter what time you go hiking on this Trail because it is very covered. the last mile is definitely little steeper but nothing extreme. recommended for a longer medium difficulty hike. take extra water.

Mostly up hill but has some nice reprieve with switch backs and flatter parts. A mix of shady and exposed. The lake was beautiful and it wasn’t too trafficked. Round trip took me about 5.5 hours including a nice break at the top. Love this hike.

The route up is an access road so it’s rocky, wide, and very exposed to the sun. The lake itself is nice. There are very limited tent sites if you’re planning on staying the night.

Great hike, took me a little over three hours to get up there but once you are at the lake it is unbelievable. Nice scenery and wildlife on the trails as well as around the lake, they started draining the lake today so if you are going go right now or by the end of the week.

Fun hike. It seemed easier than Red Pine. I prefer Red Pine though. It was a little crowded at the lake when we arrived at about 9. There were quite a few campers.

Great hike! It’s a steady incline the entire way up, but completely worth it. We made it up and back(with a long lunch break) in just under 5 hours. Gorgeous views and breathtaking scenery! You need to do this hike. We hiked this in July, bring lots of water. I drank my entire camel pack.

Gorgeous early summer hike. The lake is amazing. The trail is not as scenic as Red Pine, but the lake is better. From the parking lot it's about 2 miles longer than what Alltrails indicates because they measure from the red/white split.

Hard hike up but well worth it when you round the corner and spot the lake. The lake itself was gorgeous. Crystal clear water, lots of wild life, not crowded.

A good trail. Towards the end you find yourself in a large rocky plain which is different and unique. White Pine Lake is more blue and surreal than Red Pine Lake in my opinion.

This trail is gorgeous. Lots of variety. It is long and steep, but it seemed to have a little more mercy than the Red Pine Trail did. Lots of rocks, but the trail has some nice clear flat stretches too. The lake was beautiful. I left at 12:30 and it wasn’t too hot. There are some significant stretches with no shade, but most of it has enough shade to keep you cool. I never felt over heated. Very pretty!

Great morning hike before it gets too hot. Beautiful, clear lake - you can see the trout swimming around. I would rate it as a moderate hike- it's long but not overly steep.

Oops! Meant to stay don't start this hike late in the day!~

Start this hike late in the day. It's a long hike, and I see people struggling to get up the mountain around noon when I'm almost all the way down and done with my hike. I didn't quite use my 3L of water, but it was cold this morning (5:45am) and not hot yet when I came back down. Take the time to explore the meadow on the south side of the lake. It is gorgeous!

My first time on this trails, it's a good hike, steep, rocky somewhat hard but perfect for a good workout for the day. It's took me and my sister about 6 hrs. both way, we stop quiet a bit to take pictures. Beautiful lake and sceneries, "oh and don't forget to put some bugs spray on we got a lot of bites from those nasty flies. Drink a lot of water and bring your walking sticks it's very helpful.

This was a great hike. Definitely a challenge. Steep and lots of rocks. LOTS of rocks! Hiking shoes are best. We drank all of our 2L of water each by the time we reached a miles left coming down. Bring lots of water. Those who were going up when we were coming down had a hard time because it was getting hot. We left at 9:30am and made it to the lake by 1:15 with lots of rest stops going up. Left the lake at 2 and made it back to the car by 4:30. Definitely worth the hike!! It’s so beautiful! Enjoy!

If you start early, it's all shade all the way until you get to the alpine area of the hike. Beautiful lake! Tons of butterflies and flowers.

Love this trail! A little rocky and steep at times, but the lake at the end was beautiful!!!! It was about 5 1/2 each way!!!