White Pine Lake Trail

White Pine Lake Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The White Pine trailhead is on the south side of the road, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon and 0.7 miles below Snowbird. The turnoff for the parking area is just after a turn and is easy to miss. Start slowing down just after the "White Pine Slide Area" sign. An asphalt path leads from the parking area to a footbridge across the stream

Beautiful hike. The beginning was easy over packed snow and little to no ice. Never used spikes, but used hiking poles which really helped with the second half of the hike as the trail became steeper and more snow. We made it about 4 miles in and turned around before the lake. The trail diverted into a few different paths but we kept post holing and decided to turn around.

A great winter hike. Moderate traffic of backcountry skiers.

First hike here and I loved it! I was getting pretty tired but passing hikers/runners gave me motivation to keep going!

One of the most beautiful hiking trails I've ever been to. It's rated as hard, but I don't agree. I would consider it as moderate. I highly recommend it!

great hike to put some work into, and the lake is beutiful at the end. you really get to appreciate the wildflowers on the way back down.

Awesome! Definitely not "difficult", though, unless inclímate weather. Snow and freezing temps makes this hike much more of a challenge. Long, but very do-able for just about anyone. 5.2 miles up, no less.

Trail was super rocky, and as you got toward the top you were walking through probably a foot of snow for the last hour. Took about 3.5 hours at a moderate pace to get to the lake, which was very shallow and not really that special. It was so small that is was hard to find almost. Maybe October isn't the best month for this trail.

At least during this time of the year, I would recommend wearing something a little better than tennis shoes too. My shoes and socks were soaked, and they were also covered in mud. It was also very slippery in some areas, at times you're walking on pure ice.

It just seemed like a lot of time invested (7 hour round trip), for nothing too spectacular. My phone recorded 14.5 miles once I got to the bottom, and although phones can be inaccurate; it did feel like a lot more walking than 10 miles. The high snow and having to carefully strafe the trail in order to not slip probably didn't help.

Beautiful trail started early, at the top there was close to a foot of snow to hike through. Still worth it, the trail was really wet on the way down (expect water in your shoes) . Took about 4 hrs to get up cause of the snow and about 2 to get down. Saw a bunch of deer.

Amazing trail- saw a moose and some deer. Well maintained

I went on thursday morning. it took me about 3.5 hours to finish at a good pace. It was easier than red pine in my humble opinion. first time doing it, beautiful views, definitely cold. I would recommend gloves!! great hike!

Hiked to the lake and then bagged Red Baldy. Cold (25°F?) and windy with a dusting of snow on the ground near the lake and all the way up to the peak. Awesome views, wide trail.

It was so cold up there this morning! We saw several hunters but very little wildlife.
I enjoyed that the trail was nice and wide which was helpful for a group to be able to hike together.
The last mile to the lake was covered in icy snow but not too slick.

My first time hiking White Pine. I loved the trail but my legs were definitely tired after this one!

The lake is gorgeous, we got rained on a little, and didn't see one other person the whole hike down. And: the aspen leaves are starting to turn - yay!

I recorded 10.2 miles round trip. This is a trail that is an old road leading all the way to the lake. I just wish I started hiking earlier to enjoy the sun over the lake. overall, great!!

fantastic ROI

My favorite trail in the Wasatch. Wide enough to go with a loved one and walk side by side. The lake is one of my favorite places on earth ❤️

Great hike and worth the effort for the scenic ending. The flowers are everywhere and in full bloom as of this post. Probably not for beginners however, it's long and fairly steep in places. Start before 10:00 am, and preferably before 9:00 am so you can have as much shade as possible. Also parking can be an issue on weekends and holidays, one more reason to arrive early. Bring 48-60 oz of water per person, sunscreen and a camera. We did it in tennis shoes without a problem, but light hikers would have been nice.
Up the trail took 2.25 hours, and coming down took 1.75 without many breaks, and only 15 minutes at the top.

Steep and exposed for a lot of it but the view from the top is worth it!

Totally worth it. Less strenuous than Lake Blanche, but longer.