Learn more

White Pine Canyon Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(37)
Tooele, Utah

White Pine Canyon Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tooele, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,118 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Middle Canyon Road is typically closed from November thru April. Check local reports for closures and trail accessibility during the winter/early spring season.

I've usually been hiking 300-700 feet elevation gain and around 2-5 miles. Wanted more of a challenge today and got it. Had to take a LOT of breaks, but I didn't have to use my asthma inhaler. A win for me, Yeah! I should have taken this trail in the morning instead of noon, think it would have been easier to manage the steepness if I wasn't also battling the heat. My little white fluffy dog handled the steep areas far better than I did. We went on a weekday. We passed a guy and his son riding down the trail on horses, other than them, we were the only ones on the trail. The trail does go in and out of shade. Didn't see any wildlife until the very end, after we went around a gate, we came upon a herd of cows. There were plenty of bugs and very annoying when stopping to rest, but didn't bother us as much while walking. There is no cell service, so you'll want to download the map begot you go. Going up: There were 2 very rocky, dry river beds we had to walk up before we came to a stream, which was funneled underground at that point. Had to cross the stream several times. The Aspen Grove is beautiful and worth it. Shortly after entering the Grove, you'll find 2 round handles in the middle of the path. Easy to spot and get around. Further up the trail, you'll find an old mine shaft that is closed off. We went all the way to where the map shows the road forks and goes in 2 different directions, then went down both paths about a tenth of a mile. The branch to the right gave us a great view of the valley we came up. Then appears to head up around the side of a hill. The branch to the left appears to keep going much further than what AllTrails shows and goes across the side of another hill. We hadn't planned on going that high, but glad we did.

Beautiful hike that starts in an open dirt lot at the end of the pavement. There are no trail markers to mark the start of the trail and it looks like a few trails lead off in different directions. The trail you are looking for is on the right. Lots of trees line a wide trail. The first part of the hike is fairly easy but the last 1/2 mile is fairly steep, if you make it up the steep part the hike ends in a beautiful Aspen grove, according to All trails (the trail keeps going if you want to continue). We went on a week day morning and had the trail to ourselves.

fee

$3 day entrance fee into the canyon. Easy to follow, lots of shade, camp sites along the trail at first. The path goes further east than shown.

Gate was closed at the toll station, so it’s about a 4 mile hike to the trailhead!

Fun short hike.

Hiked to the waterfall. Pretty with plenty of tree cover. We tried to get closer to the waterfall and ventured off the road/trail and I got some stinging nettle on my leg. It’s my own fault- should have worn pants but didn’t realize we would be bush-whacking.

Sat Jun 22 2019

Beautiful hike!! We went with our kids and can’t wait to go again.

Fri Jun 21 2019

Great trail! Starts out awkward as it kinda looks like a road, and some people are driving up it. it was muddy in parts. We found snow in June-crazy! you follow a pretty creek. Some great views. We had a 5-year-old with us, and he did great. Never gound a lake as someone mentioned, but what we saw was beautiful. End of the hike is anticlimactic, but a point near the end has great views. Didn't see any cows but did see ATVS.

Mon May 06 2019

Road is blocked right at beginning of canyon. You can walk the road, it's a good workout but right now the love bugs are buggy.

Tue Nov 20 2018

Attempted to go Nov 19th but road was gated off closed up to the trail.

Wed Sep 26 2018

There's no trail marker. You hike up what appears to be an atv trail or suv road adjacent to a creek. The trail is just past the camping sites that are at the end of the paved road and beginning of the dirt road. It's a pretty hike; gets kinda steep at times though. You pass old mining stuff and water lines buried here and there. We took a branch in the road up by an old rusting steel stove and looped through one of the prettiest quaking aspen forests I've ever seen. That was our favorite part of the hike. The trees in those groves are monstrous, majestic, almost a reverent feel in some of it; -clean trunks, soooo tall, amazing!!! Definitely will go back. I've included on my recording of the hike where we went. Love this hike! Our puppy loved it too! Be aware of cows grazing at large in the area. I think our dog thought they were cute and cuddly and wanted to go meet them, but we didn't let her. :)

Fri Jun 22 2018

Perfect for families. Not difficult, and beautiful.

Mon Sep 11 2017

My only complaint would be there are not enough cows.

Fri Jul 07 2017

Hike is mostly uphill. Beautiful view, wild flowers and butterflies everywhere. Takes a while before you reach water. Nice Creek to cool off in and for the kids to play in.

Wed Apr 19 2017

Ton of cows. Smelt bad and was chasing cattle the whole hike.

Wed Aug 24 2016

fun area with lots to explore. any direction you go in you find mines, just follow the water. I think most of these pictures were taken on the back side of the canyon. The cows have made it hard to distinguish what is a trail and what isn't. just follow the atv trail till (past the 2 valve wheels sticking out of the ground) to the mine. from these head south east through the basin. just follow all the trees with initials carved in them. They will take you to a saddle where it the trail will fork. From there you can see Eagle Mountain. You can hit some small peaks to the east or go down to the valley below or hit the high peaks to the west. In 1 afternoon we went by 7 mines, 1 mine cart and I believe their are more. Good luck and have fun. Also just passed the turn around ( where their is a trail to hike if you don't want to use the same trail as the atv's) just before the atv trail really gets rough the is a path outlined with rock to you left. If you take that, it will lead to the top where middle, becomes Butterfield. Their is a step 10ish climb that someone has put ropes for you to use. after that is a pretty light hike. you pass the trucks that rolled down the canyon or what ever but that's about it beside a nice scenery. I'm not much for writing and grammar, sorry but I hope this helps.

Mon Aug 22 2016

Don't know if we where in the right canyon, didn't see any signs. Saw a lot of ATV and cows.

Mon Aug 24 2015

Its a nice hike. Plenty of shade, it gets open and rocky in the end. Lake is beautiful but we expected more.

Sun Aug 02 2015

Nice trail steep at first.