White Domes via Water Canyon Trail

White Domes via Water Canyon Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hildale, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The fun begins one you get past the waterfall. The trail ascends the cliff face on the left, and the whole way up to Top Rock is steep and difficult. There is no real trail past Top Rock. To get to White Domes you drop down into a wash that heads NW, then scramble up the slick rock. If you continue N past the domes, you'll hit a sandy 2-track. I headed W on this trail and eventually stopped at "The Notch" which is a pretty incredible viewpoint. It took 4 hours to get to this spot, and i had about 4 1/2 hours of daylight left, so i turned around and followed the 2-track back down through Squirrel Canyon. Saw tracks from a good sized mountain lion for almost a mile down the sandy 2-track! A very long day, but an incredible hike. My GPS tracking got a bit confused when in was down in Water Canyon. Recording indicates 17 miles, but actual total was just under 16. You definitely need a good GPS and map and know how to use them! A shout out to the nice folks from the Roads Scholar group that were kind enough to let me pass them, twice!

Beautiful hike. We didn’t make it all the way unfortunately as we left too late in the day but it was incredible !

Early morning is the best time to make this beautiful trek. Some rock scrambling is needed and leashed dogs are permitted, but leave the geriatric pups at home. Several places to water dogs, but pack plenty just in case. We went in at least 2 miles; would have loved to see more, if time allowed. Highly recommend.

After you get to the waterfall, the trail gets very sketchy and confusing. If you attempt to make it to white domes, stay to the left. The right is the canyoning trail where they repel down. We turned back once we got to the top rock. We talked to a ranger that warned us it gets confusing and some people get lost on Mesa and wander around for days. If you attempt white domes make sure you research where the trail is and be prepared to scramble and climb.

There seems to be a ton of confusion about the length of this trail and where it actually ends. We hiked to the Waterfall canyon and followed onto the rest of the trail via All Trails map...when we got to the top of the Mesa (spectacular summit) the trail became unclear and confusing... according to the trail map, after 2 hours of straight rigorous tough hiking we were only half way! The map said we had 3 more miles to go to reach the end... that would have been, in and out, a 12 mile hike! We we ended up losing the trail and even getting lost a bit. And decided to turn back after reaching the Mesa summit. The rest of the hike will have to remain a mystery. I recommend hiking to the waterfall and that’s it... meditate, take a nap, read a book, and enjoy that beautiful canyon.

9/14/19 8.4 miles from the water canyon parking area to top of white domes and back. Not the listed 5.8 Not too bad of hike though. A little over 2 hours from car to domes at a decent pace. definitely worth doing

Hiked this on 6/8/2019 and it was beautiful! I took my mini Goldendoodle and he did just fine. Plenty of water along the way. It was not busy in the morning! Once you hike above the waterfalls, there is a section to have lunch and you can hear the canyoneers screem and laugh as they jump into the water (I’m sure it was freezing lol). You hike into what it looks like a mini section of the Subway. Getting over the waterfalls is probably the hardest section, but overall it’s a fairly easy hike with good hiking (I wear trail running) shoes.

Beautiful canyon environment with small stream and waterfall. Didn’t go all the way to the end of the trail, but to the top of the Mesa where there’s a great view. Getting there can be difficult due to some rock climbing in parts. Place looks like a mini Zion!

The trail itself is very fun and technical! The waterfall is absolutely stunning ! It flows into a pool of crystal clear water. The canyon looks like it’s from a movie. I couldn’t find where it continues to the domes after that.

Trail is very narrow and overgrown in sections. My puppy somehow managed to get up, but honestly I agree with previous reviews that most dogs wouldn’t be able to. If I didn’t have rock climbing or mountaineering experience I wouldn’t go past the first waterfall. It gets VERY steep and sketchy. But worth it, if you are experienced. Very little shade, so when you do come across the pockets of it, take advantage of it. A lot of cairns higher up. Use those as opposed to trying to stay on the GPS trail. GPS seemed to be very off. We did 6.2 miles. The trail was only supposed to be 5.8, but somehow GPS showed us only having done half. Needless to say we turned around at what I felt like was the summit. It was incredibly hot and technical and I didn’t want to chance running out of steam for the back. All that being said, truly incredible. Zion without the crowds. Tons of water features at the base. On the back, do yourself a favor and walk through the stream. It’ll take you right back to the trailhead. Felt great after all the effort and heat.

This review is for the White Domes trail. This trail should be rated hard for experienced hikers only and is over six miles. Scrambling up rocks made slippery by sand makes the hike up slippery at times when you are quite close to the edge. Upon reaching the top follow the downloaded path as best you can as there is no trail to follow and getting lost is very easy. Generous amounts of water and an early start is needed. Camping equipment and food is advisable if you start late. Schedule at least eight hours for this hike.

Stopped at the waterfall and may continue to the top another time. Note there may be at least three paths to the waterfall. The "official" path, the creekbed, or another path higher up from the start. All converge at the waterfall which is well worth the effort. Note the official path takes you through heavy sand making walking up tedious.