Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

West Rim Trail (Top-Down)

hard(82)
Zion National Park

West Rim Trail (Top-Down) is a 15.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Springdale, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 15.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,866 feet Route Type: Point to Point

flooded
icy

Completed this trail in a day on Oct. 12, 2019. Had AMAZING views. I’m section hiking the Appalachian Trail and this is obviously so different. There were 5 of us on the shuttle to the top and we only saw 4 others for 15 miles when we hit Angel’s Landing which we all decided to skip since we had a much better hike. Used Red Rock Shuttle to get to Lava Point. With the $40. Took 3 liters of water which was plenty. Had some nice backcountry campsites. Wish I had decided to stay at one but really loved my campsite at South Campground right off of the Virgin River

Beautiful views of the canyons.. I did this one over two days and I would recommend the same if you want to take your time and enjoy!

Very nice hike, we did it in one day. Starting at 7.00 am. Finished in 8,5 hours. Had one long lunchbreak and two shorter breaks. Thought the part from Angels Landing on down was hard, being tired, full sun and lots of people. Doing it in two days would be great. Campsite 3 looked very pretty, would be a good place to camp. We had lunch there. Als, we had 4 L water per person, which was just enough, but bring more when hiking in summer.

recorded West Rim Trail (Top-Down)

A highly recommendable hike, particularly the first 2/3 as hardly any people and incredibly impressive scenery and wildlife. Autumn colours were amazing - enjoy :)

Top-down Trail from the West Rim Trailhead to the Grotto including Angel’s Landing. It ended up being 16.8 miles total. The first 6 miles is most flat with a few up’s and downs, then downhill mostly until the chains for Angel’s Landing (with one uphill climb). I did it on a cooler day, but bring extra water if hiking in the heat (It’s a very exposed trail). Extremely limited water on the trail. Highly recommend pants as the brush is tall and grown over in some sections. May want bug spray on warmer days. The hike is absolutely beautiful and free of the typical Zion crowds. I didn’t see a single person until after 6 miles and only passed 5 people total for the first 10 miles. I felt very safe as a solo female hiker. The chain’s at Angel’s Landing were not crowded at all, since I was there later in the day. I can’t recommend this hike enough! It’s a long day, but worth it. One of my favorite hikes to date!

We enjoyed hiking this trail! We used red rock shuffle service which took us to the trail head vs having to hike in from lava point saving us a mile. Started the hike at 8:20 and finished at 3:00. Until angels landing we saw 6 people the entire hike. First 5-6 miles your in trees with mediocre views so we flew through them. After that the scenery gets better with beautiful canon views the rest of the way. It gets hot as the day goes on with little shade so take plenty of water. I went through 3L and my husband went through 2L. The views are worth the long hike

Hiked on Labor Day - paid $40 to Zion Adventure Company to shuttle up to Lava Point, very much worth it. Started at 7:30am, finished at 3pm, couple stops here and there. I would say I'm an average hiker. Felt safe to hike alone, very well marked. Can see how it would be tricky if recent rain had made the trail muddy/not as clear. Great option to avoid summer or holiday weekend crowds. I didn't see a single soul for the first 10 miles. A couple things to note: TONS of bugs/flies. Wear bugspray. Really surprised noone else has mentioned this, maybe they just liked my sunscreen. I could hardly stop to eat a sandwich. There is a 1-2 mile long section near the beginning that's basically through the bushes, wear long pants. I wore shorts because of the heat and my legs got scratched up. I was also told there was poison oak on the trail but I haven't seen any evidence of it on my legs. I took 4L of water and ran out but it was pretty toasty out! If you have a chance to start earlier then you should do it! The afternoon sun with little shade in the last ~4 miles is brutal.

This trail has amazing views over several canyons around zion! Well worth the 28k with links up to angels landing! The walk can be quite exposed at times so take as much advantage of the shade as you can :)

backpacking in campsite 4

Knock out Angels Landing on the way down and this is the best trail I did at Zion and talking to many other people, they tend to agree. The first few miles of this trail are nice but nothing extremely special. But once the trail splits for the Rim View and the Telephone Canyon trail, stay right and take the Rim View and it only gets better and better from there. You start with far and scenic views of the western canyon and then you start transitioning back to the main Zion canyon. You think the views can’t get any better until you take another turn and you are awestruck. Then you descend down into the canyon and it’s just gorgeous. Finally tack on Angels Landing, and while it is difficult because you’ve already walked 12 or so miles, but it is the ultimate reward. Definitely give yourself a break before attempting Angels if you do decide you want to do it. There are a few things to consider for the hike. You do cross a short muddy section where it’s hard to avoid getting your feet wet. But that’s the extent of it. There are no stream crossings and just that one mud section. Another consideration: BRING A LOT OF WATER! I went late June and started around 11:30-12noon. I brought a gallon and I had to get very stingy with it at the end (I did give out a few cups to a hiker worse off than me) so I didn’t run out. Adding Angels didn’t help because it was strenuous but I couldn’t say no. There is a “spring” where the splits comes back together before you descend down in the valley but it looked quite stagnant and I don’t know if I’d want to drink with it even if I filtered it. Personally if I did it again, I’d bring a gallon and a half and that would be more than enough. If you are just doing a day hike, you do not need a permit of any kind. It took me 6.5 hours to do it all with Angels Landing and with a good few breaks here and there. The mileage isn’t so bad because of the downhill. However, I used Zion Adventure Company to get to Lava Point and the ticket was just shy of $40 so while you don’t have to pay for a permit, you most likely will pay for transportation as Lava Point is way out there. All in all, I think this may be the best trail I’ve done to date. Almost all downhill, scenic vista after scenic vista, heavy mileage so you cross a ton of different environments but it doesn’t feel like all that much, and then the ascent to Angels Landing as a reward and culmination of a wonderful day of sweat and effort. Not to mention if saw 6 other people the entire day up until I got back to the main part of Zion. Definitely the best way to get Zion without feeling overcrowded like the main valley can get.

This is the best way to see the canyon if you can get a camping permit and a shuttle to Lava Point. Angels Landing views but all downhill? Sign me up. We got a shuttle from Zion Adventure Co. in Springdale, and got on the trail by 8AM. While we did see a surprising amount of people over the course of the day, we were never crowded. The trail is fairly exposed for most of the day, though you can find some respite as you get up on the Rim loop. You start out heading gradually downhill with views to the east before heading down into a valley for a short time. You'll head up at the end of this, and that's about the most uphill you'll get for the entire trail. After that you're walking along the titular West Rim, and the views are constantly spectacular. Hopefully you've got a campsite lined up for the night so you can enjoy the sunset and stars. Side note on camping: We got a permit online for campsite 2. It is passed campsite 1, so don't freak out thinking you missed it. It has a great view across the rim to the east where you can see the sun rise over the rim, but it is super exposed and hot as hell where you would set up you tent. It's not somewhere you'll want to hang out until later afternoon/early evening. After all the campsites you'll start a more rapid descent and continue soaking up the views. Eventually you'll end up above Angels Landing. Now you'll start getting into the crowds, and by the time you get to Angels Landing you'll probably just want to get down and away from them as quickly as possible. Fortunately that's very easy since everything past that point is paved. The views continue to be outstanding though. Overall this is a great backpacking trail assuming you go in this direction. I also highly recommend getting a shuttle to the start so you can do a true point-to-point hike rather than out-and-back. If you can do it all in one day, more power to you! I'll enjoy my beer and solitude looking out over an empty canyon.

One of the best hikes ever! So glad we did this on a busy Memorial Day weekend instead of the much busier hikes like angels landing. The views of the canyon are stunning. We used Zion adventures (To get a shuttle up to the trailhead) and did the 6am departure. Hardly saw anyone else most of the hike until the last 4 miles around angels landing. You can actually use this hike as a “longcut” to get to angels landing (we didn’t bc our views had already been so amazing and angels landing was mobbed with people). It’s a long hike, but only has a few areas where you’re climbing so it’s not that strenuous vs some of the others around Zion. Most of it is flat or descending. Was a little muddy at times so wear waterproof boots.

One of the best hikes I’ve ever done. The views are surreal and don’t stop. Not a lot water though

Best trail of our Zion experience this week. Fantastic views of varied scenery. It was quite cold this morning and the road is closed so we had to hike 1.4 miles to be trailhead. Once we got to the trailhead we went an additional five miles and then turned around for a total of 12.9 miles. Overall, a great day hike even though we didn’t do the whole thing. Highly recommended for the stunning views.

What an AMAZING TRAIL! The views are one of a kind. Every time you turn a corner, a new view, a new canyon, and a new experience happened. I highly recommend this hike.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Great backpack to see Zion back country

Sat Dec 01 2018

A beautiful hike with otherworldly views of Zion. Every turn looked completely different and stunning in its own way. We stayed in campsite 4 the week of Thanksgiving. It got pretty chilly at night but during the day the weather was perfect.

Sat Nov 17 2018

Amazing hike, stayed in campsite 6 and was the only one for miles and hours on end.

Tue Nov 06 2018

Do this exact hike! It can be done in a single day and you will appreciate the views! Shuttles can be chartered or bring two vehicles to leave one at the trail head and the other at the overflow campground or public parking $20 per day. Did this hike with 4 buddies and it took us 6 hrs. Some GPS mileage points are off but the overall hike is just over 17 miles. Had a blast and some memorable views. Make the phone call ahead of time for water sources or pack in your own water! DO NOT FORGET YOUR PERMIT!!!

Tue Oct 16 2018

We hiked from Lava Point, stayed at campsite 1, then finished at the Grotto the next day. Insanely beautiful views that just keep getting better along the way. If backpacking in the fall, be prepared for a very chilly, windy night. But 100% worth it!

Mon Sep 10 2018

part of the trail was closed due to dropping rocks near grotto and angels landing, which made this a rather long, somewhat boring trail. It was hard, but mostly because it was in the sun and for the first 2/3rds there were no "zion" views to distract you. We stayed at campsite 3 which was stunning and the hike from there down to campsite 1 and the spring was beautiful. I would def. do it again IF it opened up all the way, but for a back and fourth trip I believe there are better options in Zion

Sun Jun 17 2018

I would rate this as difficult to complete in one day. You can chart a shuttle to drop you off at the north end of the trail head early in the AM. The last 3 miles are shared with angels landing and are endless downhill switchbacks on very rough pavement. If you decide to take this trail, you will be rewarded with otherworldly views of the canyons and plateaus of the park at the mid-way point. There are also backpacking campsites that can be reserved located about halfway through the hike for a more relaxed experience.

Mon Jul 04 2016

One of my favorite hikes. Had an overnight permit so we did this over two days. Starts in cooler alpine but as you descend the views are breathtaking and it gets hot. Bring a lot of water. We ended up filling up at a natural spring and filtering water.