West Rim Trail to Lava Point

West Rim Trail to Lava Point is a 29 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The West Rim Trail has some of the most spectacular views that anyone could hope to see. There are beautiful canyons, springs, seeps, trees and flowers. You will not want to spend a lot of time looking at your feet during this hike. If you seek an element of danger then a side trip to Angels' Landing is for you. You can hike the West Rim Trail from the Lava Point trail head to The Grotto trail head or vice versa. You will need to rent a shuttle to take you to the trail head at Lava Point or pick you up from the trail head at Lava Point depending on which direction you hike. The shuttle can be rented from Zion Adventure Company. They have a store front near the Zion Visitor Center. The actual hiking starts at the point the road to Lava Point is closed, the road has snow and fallen trees on it. This adds about a mile to the trip. This guide details the hike from Lava Point to The Grotto trail head over the course of two days with a stop at camp site four. This direction is easier than going in the opposite direction. The guide also assumes a night spent camping at camp site four. This guide also has two dog legs: one to get water near camp site one, and one to go to Angels Landing. There is good cell service near the Zion Visitor Center, but for the bulk of the hike there is no cell service at all from any carrier. So, a PLB or Sat Phone is a good idea. Water can be pumped near camp site one and camp site eight. If you plan to do Angels' Landing make sure you leave enough time to get to the top. There are a lot of people doing this hike which slows things down considerably. I would classify the route presented here as the easy route. Nevertheless, it is still strenuous because there is some serious uphill in the last half of the hike on day one and you end up at approximately 7500ft. It is possible to do the entire trip as a day hike for those who are carrying not much and are in very good shape. If you are coming from out of town it is a good idea to camp at the camp sites near the Zion Visitor Center to acclimate before you set out to do the trail. Finally, you are in the desert so make sure you have enough water.

We went up from Grotto and after Angel's Landing continued past it to the West Rim. Incredible views and terrain just past the Landing and much less crowded as well. Ended up camping out at campground #1 that was close to some water. Very challenging but rewarding with gorgeous views along the way and the top.

did this hike in Nov 2016. days were in the 60s and nights in the low 30s. did the top down route, staying over night at campsite 4. it can be done in one day but we wanted to take our time and enjoy the amazing views. pretty easy hike until the canyons with the 5000' decent. a little rough on my knees.

We hiked from the Grotto trailhead up past Scout Lookout, turning around just before the trail veered away from the main canyon. Most everyone is familiar with the incredible views on the way up to Angels Landing. But it is amazing how few people head even a short distance past the Lookout. The views of the upper portion of the canyon, and of Angels Landing itself, are tremendous. The trail deserves five stars for just the short portion that we tackled. I can't fathom how amazing it must be to complete the entire 13 miles. I definitely envision a shuttle to Lava Point and a return hike being a top priority for the next visit, whenever that might be!

Did this one from the bottom up to Horse Pasture Plateau on a solo day hike. It was my favorite hike of the week we hiked in the area and top 10 of any hike I've ever done. There were some areas up top that were a little dangerous with huge drops and a lot of debris on the trails. There some very nice long climbs and some of the best views any where I've seen. Once I was a mile past Angel's Rim I never saw anyone until I came back down. My only regret for the week was not just putting on my backpack and just hiking everywhere we could..........#276

Backpacked this and enjoyed it. The trail from Lava Point to Angels Landing was so quiet. It felt great to get away from the crowds. Stayed at campsite 2, excellent overlook. Was happy to explore a new trail at the park.

We just did this hike last Saturday. Started at Lava Point and hiked to the Grotto Trail head with Tom Saxon, Karl Rosette and myself. According to the map and trail markings the hike is a little over 13 miles. It took us a little over 6.5 hours to complete we only stopped a couple times. Expect full sun exposure during the majority of this hike. I took 200 ounces of water and used almost all of it. The trail is well marked super easy to follow. I would rate this hike slightly above moderate in difficulty. There are a couple steep climbs but nothing crazy if you take your time. We only seen a couple other hikers until we got near Boy Scout overlook at Angels Landing. It got really crowded at Angels landing. The views are incredible 100% worth the pain.

Just backpacked this last weekend, and I can't even describe how incredible it was. The views just never stop hitting you. It seemed like every 15 minutes we were looking at a completely different and beautiful formation. We went from Lava Point to the Grotto, which is apparently backwards from the way I'm seeing most people do it. That being said, I don't think it really matters which way you go, as you see everything either way. Definitely not an easy hike, but it is 100% worth every step.

Definitely a workout to get to the top. But it is so worth it. There was a lot of traffic on the trail but that's expected given the popularity

Monday, May 23, 2016

My family shuttled to Lava Point and included Angels Landing. Angels Landing was a mess with people but the West Rim was amazing. When we get back to Zion, can't wait to do it again.

Sunday, May 22, 2016