Learn more

West Cinder Knoll Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(63)
Hurricane, Utah

West Cinder Knoll Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hurricane, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Loop

We stopped here to stretch out our legs, went clockwise to end on the descent. The view at the top is nice but nothing spectacular. No shade and mostly sandy with small pebbles. Carry water even though it’s a short trail.

Good, fairly easy hike for those looking for the experience of hiking a cinder cone. There are several steep spots where slow and steady reaches the top. The view is beautiful.

Easy hike with great views. Fine for children. When you come to the fork of three trails take the one on your left. The one going straight will lead your to barb wired fence and we had to go back and take a different path to get to the top. I took a picture to show. The views at the top are amazing with many different types of rock formations and canyons.

We went on this trail after work, (6:00pm). It was still warm and the trail doesn’t offer shade. The far views of Zions are stunning. We were so excited that we saw a desert tortoise! We have hiked in Southern Utah for years and never seen one. It was amazing!

Interesting little hike around a volcanic area and beautiful views of Zion, the river gorge and mountains.

Veered off the trail without even noticing several times. I tried to stay the course but decided to ditch the app, I was tired of looking at my phone. I wanted to see the gorge so I followed whatever trail seemed most likely to take me there. Very cute trail. Gorgeous views. Flat walk until a steep, gravelly incline up the hill. Fun until you start sweating because you overdressed for a midwinter hike lol

Perfect little hike for the family. Great views and easy to get to.

We accidentally ended up on an unmarked path while trying to find the river view, but it was still easy and basically the same distance

Nice short trail. You can take a side trail to view the river.

Sat May 25 2019

Fun trail for kids.

Sun Apr 14 2019

Reasonably nice area to stroll around right near the main drag in Hurricane. The climb up the side of the cinder cone is actually pretty steep, at least the way I went. Even if you are unimpressed with your immediate surroundings, the scenery in the distance is pretty nice.

Sun Apr 07 2019

pretty wildflowers right now and cinder cone is neat.

Wed Mar 13 2019

Perfect hike with group including dogs.

Fri Mar 08 2019

A sweet little trail close to downtown Hurricane. Perfect for kids and dogs. Be sure to walk out to one of the overlooks of the Virgin River.

Thu Nov 22 2018

Easy little hike that goes up what appears to be an old little volcano? No idea. But it’s pretty cool at the top. Easy gradual rise to the top. Dogs off leash everywhere which is awesome.

Sun May 20 2018

Just what we were looking for today. Nice, easy walk around the cinder cone. Some nice scenery to boot. This would be a great evening walk with pets and kids.

Wed Mar 28 2018

Easy to get to and park. Nice relaxing trail. Beautiful.

Wed Mar 14 2018

Great evening hike close to town. Great views on top of the cinder cone. Not difficult, trail pretty obvious.

Sun Feb 18 2018

It was a beautiful walk! Not a cloud in the sky, cool winds to my face and my Boston Terrier by my side.

Sun Jan 28 2018

We go hear 2-3 times a week. Great for dogs and the views when you get on top are great.

Tue Jul 11 2017

This is a good dog-friendly hike outside Zion National Park. It's across the road from the Valley Academy in Hurricane; if you put that into your GPS, you'll get close. There are two cinder cones, East and West. The East one starts right next to some sort of gravel pit, and the West one is off of a little pull-out just a couple tenths of a mile to the west. The views are okay, but not spectacular. You can do one or both cones. We went near dusk, and the sun set very quickly. We did not see anyone else on the trail.

Tue Mar 07 2017

As laid out this is an interesting loop trail. It's possible to make it more strenuous by not taking a hard left at the first turn and go straight up the knoll.