Wellsville Ridge Trail

Wellsville Ridge Trail is a 11.4 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Deweyville, Utah that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Start at Rattlesnake Trailhead and end at Deep Canyon Trailhead. Lots of great views along the way!

The warnings about the overgrown trail are not exaggerated. There are a couple of miles of enjoyable trail on the ridge but I’m not sure if it was worth it.

This was a bucket list hike. Do it once, I guess, to say you've done it. Never do it again. Ok views are awesome. But!! The trails are soooo overgrown seriously you are going straight uphill and you have to ALSO PUSH through bushes. Pretty much half the hike is this way. WEAR PANTS! Bring lots of water. Start earlier than you think you should. The other thing as of today, July 7th, there were so many horse flies that take chunks out of your skin and tsetse flies that bite. It is almost redonkulous. No. It is redonkulous. It makes you want to die, but if you did they'd never find your body because the flies would eat you. They'd only find your back pack. This was THE WHOLE WAY down deep canyon. You could not stop to rest or you'd get eaten by flies. Not mosquitos. Flies. That bite. Did I say that before? I think if I did this again I'd just got to box elder Peak and then go back the same way I came up. I mean, it's kind of fun walking all along the ridgeline and it's scary sometimes, which is, indeed exhilarating, but probably not worth the flies. Also. This trail takes you to mendon peak. That's it. When you see a big rock on the left and a trail going down the hill take it. That is deep canyon. Don't keep taking this trail to the end unless you do want to hike mendon peak. Or you could take he maple one down. That would shave some unnecessary miles. I'm sure it's equally fly-ish and steep and overgrown so no big deal. That's all. Hope this is helpful

Beautiful in June.

This trail is truly awful. The great views at the top are NOT worth the miles and miles of gruelingly steep and terribly maintained trail. At times the trail is so overgrown that it is dangerously easy to lose. (We lost it at one point and it took us several hours of extra steep backtracking to find it again) It's exhausting, and because most of the trail is exposed (not shaded) it is easy to become overheated. I am an avid hiker and I don't remember the last time I've hated a trail as much as this. I would NEVER recommend it.

(We started at Rattlesnake and took the Maple Bench trail down. We may as well have been bushwhacking down the Maple Bench way because it was practically impassible)

Sunday, September 18, 2016

I started 9/17/16 at 10:00 am rattle snake trail head in Sardine canyon .. Lots of other hikers were on the trail .
Trail is very steep and rocky but your in the tree canopy for about 2 miles emerging to hike a rocky ridge line then the trail turns west , the vegetation is over grown and you can not see your feet , many places you can not see the person in front of you .
The trail comes out on top of the ridge but you continue to climb east now heading for the taller mountains on your right.
The trail caps out on the ridge looking down into Logan/ Hyrum areas . Continues to climb and turns north west until you arrive on the very top . Trail has a cross section . Turn left to Box Elder Peak .
There are ski's on a mound of rocks and the survey marker .
To continue north go back to the cross section and continue down . Down , down ..
Up the side of Wellsville Cone the trail goes around the cone and up to the peak .
If your afraid of heights " TURN AROUND AND GO BACK".
The trail now goes down several narrow switchbacks on the front side of the cone . Most places the trail is 1 foot wide . Very rocky and narrow .. I use Trekking poles or I would not have attempted this hike any further .
The trail finally emerges out on a golden mountain side . It's easy to follow there are 3 side trails marked by a plume of stones . No clue where they go .
Continue along the ridge line towards the Mendon Trail . After descending down a series of steep descends you will arrive at the Mendon Trail marked by a bald pass with a huge rock all by it self on the ridge line .
There is a small pile of rocks showing a well traveled trail down into the canyon .. There are are several switch backs lots of fallen trees across the trail , lots of vegetation that's over your head . It is very Beautiful.. But a very long hike down .. 3 miles total down the canyon to the parking lot .
I did not have a waiting car so I hiked to Mendon another 2.5 miles to the Church ..
Total hike was 19 miles.. Ending time was 8:20 pm
Very very long hike .. Glad I did it

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Did this hike in July during the heat of the day from the sardine side. It's a very hot hike, very exposed except for the first and last bits. Great views of the whole cache valley, plus the other side (little bear river, great salt lake, etc). This one is a bit steep since most of the elevation gain is at the beginning and the rest is the ridgeline. Not the steepest hike I've done yet, but it was challenging. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow, except for a few unmarked forks (use your head, and when in doubt stay left). The shrubbery can be a little intense, so you may want long pants (I wore shorts and came out alive, but my legs didn't thank me), some of it was over waist high.

Monday, June 20, 2016

I absolutely loved this trail when I did it last summer. Started off the pull off in sardine canyon and ended in mendon. It was a very long hike. We started the night before and did a few miles and then camped. was able to see the sunset and sunrise. You could see all the way up to Idaho and way past Ogden. The most beautiful views. Hiked in late September/early October, too late into the see season to see greenery and wildflowers.

Saturday, July 15, 2017