Wellsville Mountains

Wellsville Mountains is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mendon, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,655 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Sun Jul 08 2018

This was a bucket list hike. Do it once, I guess, to say you've done it. Never do it again. Ok views are awesome. But!! The trails are soooo overgrown seriously you are going straight uphill and you have to ALSO PUSH through bushes. Pretty much half the hike is this way. WEAR PANTS! Bring lots of water. Start earlier than you think you should. The other thing as of today, July 7th, there were so many horse flies that take chunks out of your skin and tsetse flies that bite. It is almost redonkulous. No. It is redonkulous. It makes you want to die, but if you did they'd never find your body because the flies would eat you. They'd only find your back pack. This was THE WHOLE WAY down deep canyon. You could not stop to rest or you'd get eaten by flies. Not mosquitos. Flies. That bite. Did I say that before? I think if I did this again I'd just go to box elder Peak and then go back the same way I came up. I mean, it's kind of fun walking all along the ridgeline and it's scary sometimes, which is, indeed exhilarating, but probably not worth the flies. Also. This trail takes you to mendon peak. That's it. When you see a big rock on the left and a trail going down the hill take it. That is deep canyon. Don't keep taking this trail to the end unless you do want to hike mendon peak. Or you could take the maple one down. That would shave some unnecessary miles. I'm sure it's equally fly-ish and steep and overgrown so no big deal. That's all. Hope this is helpful

Sat Jul 07 2018

So beautiful. I loved it. One of my favorite hikes in Cache Valley. I recommend wearing pants because the foliage is thick and creeps into the trail.

Fri Apr 28 2017

The top ridge and Rattlesnake trail parts of the hike are the best. The approach from Mendon takes you through overgrowth that is tedious and annoying. Once you make the ridge, the views are phenomenal. Coming down Rattlesnake after making so much elevation gain burns in all the right places! Great hike!

Fri Jul 15 2016

Took 17 girls up the mountain! Spectacular views. Very overgrown, but they were troopers!

Sun Apr 03 2016

It was really nice hike, my daughter and I went on. Hiked as far as we could gone .... We hit snow and mud, so we came back down. Good place to hike. We will come back when it is a little warmer

Mon Sep 07 2015

I'm slightly bothered that this is called "Wellsville mountain trail" as there are many trails. This one looks like the cold water lake trail. If you really want to hike the Wellsville Mountains, go up Rattlesnake trailhead in Sardine, walk along the ridge, and come out Deep Hollow Canyon on north side of Mendon. Now that's a Wellsville Mtn Hike!

Mon Oct 27 2014

A little bushwacking but a beautiful hike.

recorded Wellsville Mountains