Learn more

Washington Hollow is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saint George, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching.

Distance: 9.9 miles Elevation Gain: 741 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It’s a great trail, very beautiful and peaceful. Just a lot longer than 9.9 miles. We walked 11 miles and we still have about 2-2.5 miles left that we just gave up on because we didn’t know how long it’s gonna be for sure. It’s rocky and sandy, so get your legs and feet ready for that. I wouldn’t call it an easy hike, probably moderate because of the rocks and sand. It took us about 4 hours to hike it, but we stoped a lot to enjoy the view.

To get to the start of the Washington Hollow "trail" you'll need to hike 2 miles up the sandy/dirt road from the Mill Creek trail head. After that, you can go 4+ miles up the rocky wash. I turned around after 4.2 miles (6.2 total) because I was just tired of it at that point. As far as I could see, if just kept on going. After a while (like about a quarter mile!) it all pretty much looks the same. It's good if you are seeking solitude though, since I never saw another person. , Oh, and I wouldn't call this route easy. Hiking for 8 miles through sand, gravel, rocks and boulders is definitely not easy! Plus, once you are out of the wash, you still have a 2 mile walk back your car.