Wasatch Skyline Drive OHV Route

Wasatch Skyline Drive OHV Route is a 21.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Farmington, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 21.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,002 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

Note: This road is closed during winter and spring. Please call the USFS to inquire about closures. This is a driving route, not a hiking trail.

off road driving

7/9/19: Drove up from Farmington. Road was gated at 9.2 miles (8,500'), which was a bummer, but it was still a nice drive with fantastic views. Great escape from the heat, too. Road was in great condition, just a few washboarded sections that made things loosey-goosey. Also had to be careful on the narrow shelf road stretches with steep dropoffs. Had fun wheelin' around in the Farmington Flats area, which had some deep mud puddles. 7/10/19: Drove up from the Bountiful side and made it 11.2 miles. A huge snow bank blocks the road just past the large viewpoint area. It's deep and sloped off camber, so there's no possible way to drive over it. Incredible views nonetheless. The road from Bountiful is much rougher than the Farmington side.

off road driving

One of my favorite local offroad areas but alot of the trail is still blocked off by a snow drift in the road.

off road driving

As of three days ago, only 3 miles where open. Easy trail on ATV but a waste of time given it’s locked up right now. Will try again in August when I return home. Maybe then more will be open.

easy trail. this time of year you can do a quater of the trail because it locked up. gonna go back in a month and will give new rating. still had a blast in all the mud holes

off road driving

Fairly easy dirt trail drive. The trail rides along steep drop-offs for 40%-50% of the trail. We did the trail on Oct 7th and there was about an inch of snow covering the trail up towards the peak and it was windy but all was great. We were also in the clouds so visibility wasnt great. The views with the colorful trees were amazing!

scenic driving

Awesome trail, I drove up to the top with my ram 1500. There are some parts I get pretty sketchy. I’ll do than that the views are amazing.

off road driving

Took my 2018 RAV4 through the trail! Such an awesome drive amazing views! Totally worth it :)

off road driving

Amazing views. Lots of fun if you like driving fast and drifting turns. Although slow down for the blind turns which there are a lot of. A little sketch in some places with there not being a shoulder and a death plunge off the side of the trail. Barely wide enough to pass in some sections. If you start in Farmington just to get to the top is very easy. I saw several mini vans on my drive. But, if you go south at the top it gets a little bit bumpier. Anything with a little clearance is totally good to go! Note there is no target shooting allowed in the area. I did see a sheriff on the trail at the top. I would have given it 5 stars except for all the traffic. Lots of other cars and a ton of ATVs as well.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Easy trail, but holy cow the views are incredible. This was the trail I used to break in my new (to me) FJ Cruiser and it performed perfectly. I saw some cars going up the first half of the trail, but when you see the fork to Francis Peak, that's where they are probably turning around.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

This was my very first off-roading experience in my new-to-me Outback. The Farmington (north) side had been recently graded and was fairly smooth. The Bountiful side was much bumpier and rutted but still not a problem. The peak is at 9k feet elevation so be prepared to get out of breath. To top it all off, we caught a gorgeous sunset while at the top. Absolutely gorgeous!

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Road get very rough and the going is slow in the middle section. Great views

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Got 1/3 of the way up and had to turn around. Still closed for winter... We’ll be back in a month.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Easy fun off-roading

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Completed this drive often. Always spectacular. Early mornings and sunset is my fav. Tons of ATV's and deer hunting. Mountain Bike, Dirt Bike, Subaru Outback and truck all work great. May have to be patient with slow or inexperienced traffic. Be careful!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

It was a blast taking my 2007 Dakota, I didn't even need to be on 4x4, although my truck got Firestone's mud tires. It was quite busy, lots of ATV and pickup traffic.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Really enjoyed the early season snow. The views are stunning. Trails are easy to moderate. But fun and fast!

Monday, September 11, 2017

We took our 2011 RAV4 up. First time ever off roaring so it was a little intense but fun!

Friday, August 25, 2017

Top gate still closed as of 6/25/17

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great for drivers new to off roaring. The views are beautiful.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Drove up the Farmington canyon side and the connecting road to Bountiful canyon is finally open. Great easy route point to point! The Jeep trail at buckland flats has also been repaired at the top. I took a drive down that and it gets pretty bad through some spots but is doable with a good off-road vehicle. The exit above the B is still VERY sketchy.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Nice easy trail, great views all the way up.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Best local trail. The skyline drive entrances on the Farmington and Bountiful side are still closed. I've been up 4 or 5 times in the past 2 weeks checking to see if they're open. I'd really love to be able to do the whole route.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Fun drive with beautiful views. Virtually any vehicle can do the Farmington side all the way to the top. However, the gate to Bountiful was closed on July 9th, 2017. l Lots of side roads to explore, however lots of ATV traffic.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Rode this today with my wife and it was a very nice ride to escape the city heat.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Not a hike, a drive. I have driven this canyon no less than 50 times and ridden ATV's up no less than 100 times. Grew up riding it and yet it never gets old. Cool drive to get you away from the hustle of the cities/towns!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

pretty fun but half way up road to the peak is closed still don't know when it will open.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Been on this trail a couple times. It's a nice getaway close to home.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Went around dusk and was amazed by the views. Must do easy off-road trail. From draper to Ogden you can see northern Utah from above.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

This was an absolute blast!! The trail gets rocky and a little sketchy at times when in a truck, but this is definitely something we will do again!!! Definitely a good way to awe out of town guests when visiting.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Such a fun drive. Did it September 4th and the weather was perfect. Virtually any vehicle can make the Skyline portion of this trail. I wouldn't recommend it, but I even saw Infinity G35's and random cars out there. The view is awesome once you're at the top. About halfway through there is a fork that takes you to the top of Skyline (left) or to Bountiful (right). I went to the top of Skyline and hit Bountiful on the way back. I do not recommend the Bountiful side unless you have 4x4 and something that sits higher. The terrain is way worse on the Bountiful side but still nothing too crazy. Completed in a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4.