Velvet Ridge

Velvet Ridge is a 14.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Disclosure: this was my first time mountain biking (though I am in decent shape, thanks Peloton). This trail seemed pretty tough. Going west from the trailhead definitely some sections where had to walk my bike uphill (and a few where I had to walk downhill). Also some sandy sections I couldn't pedal through. Did better coming back east, though I skipped the last little bit going down to US 24 since it seemed like the climb back up would be really rough. I am guessing a more experienced rider would have had less difficulty. That being said, scenery was beautiful and I had a great time.

We did the short loop on Forest road #207, leaving from the Torrey water storage tanks. I think about 5 miles. Some rocky climbs and some sand mush but over nice place to ride. spectacular scenery. this is a small portion of the Great Western Trail which appears to be for ATVs.

Sunday, January 18, 2015