Utah Scenic Byway 12

Utah Scenic Byway 12 is a 62.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

scenic driving

We basically just did a drive through from Capitol Reef to Kodachrome. Though we were able to make a few short stops, there is so much to see on this road, we certainly did not do it justice. We may get a chance to go again. It's so refreshing to see such large expanses of land with nothing!! Hope it can be preserved that way. Make sure from whatever route you take, to fill up your tank before you head out. It's so tempting to take some side roads, if your car can handle it (some require a high clearance 4X4, like Hells Backbone, which we did not do). Also, take LOTS of water and food with you. We had an interesting experience of seeing people hiking Calf Creek from the road cliff viewpoint. We basically just did a drive through from Capitol Reef to Kodachrome. Though we were able to make a few short stops, there is so much to see on this road, we certainly did not do it justice. We may get a chance to go again. It's so refreshing to see such large expanses of land with nothing!! Hope it can be preserved that way. Make sure from whatever route you take, to fill up your tank before you head out. It's so tempting to take some side roads, if your car can handle it (some require a high clearance 4X4, like Hells Backbone, which we did not do). Also, take LOTS of water and food with you. We had an interesting experience of seeing people hiking Calf Creek from the road cliff viewpoint. Also if you plan on spending any more than a day on the roads/trails out here, you may want to let someone know you are out here and your approximate location as there is limited to no cell service on most of this route. Note, on a clear day you can see the La Sal Mountains in Moab from the Larb Hollow Viewpoint. We were unable to see this on the day we were there (forest fire smoke), but I see another person who has posted pics for this trail was able to see it!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

This is a beautiful drive and runs along a ridge that has great views.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

I have been all over the US and this is the most beautiful view I have ever seen. Not to be missed.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Leads to almost unlimited hiking/backpacking opportunities. Scenic and varied terrain. Desert to mountain sky islands.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

One of my favorite drive ever!! Not too crowded and off the beaten path.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

My last trip on this Hwy was July, 2009, in a Allegro Bay RV. I did it in 1992 pulling a 29' fifth wheel trailer. This road shows you how gutless those vehicles really are! Beautiful drive, however.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I make this drive all the time when I live in Utah... absolutely beautiful.