Utah Highway 12 Scenic Byway: Section 1 - Red Canyon to Escalante

Utah Highway 12 Scenic Byway: Section 1 - Red Canyon to Escalante is a 59.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Panguitch, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, birding, and scenic driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 59.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,730 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

This was our second trip in less than a year and it will never disappoint. Our recording is at the link below. The app wouldn't map it to this profile, and when I tried to upload it to this page, Alltrails asked me to sign into FB, which I did not want to do. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/route-12-bryce-to-escalante

scenic driving

Amazing drive. Beautiful scenery. Crowded, snails pace the whole way, but at least you’ve got the views while you wait. Some construction accounts for this and also the vast amount of tour busses squeezing through.

Hiked from the Red Canyon visitors center. Beautiful day. Went to the Arches.

scenic driving

Was such an exciting treat to drive through these two arches. Simply beautiful!

Sat Sep 15 2018

This is a beautiful driving tour. Many places to stop for scenic photos. While dogs can travel in your vehicle, not all hiking trails are dog friendly.

Sun Aug 26 2018

We drove from where 12 starts at 89 to the turn off for Kodachrome Basin State Park. Since we did not drive all this in one go, I uploaded a partial recording so I could sync some pictures to the road (but the pics may not be part of the recorded area).

Sun Jul 29 2018

Very scenic road with great scenic overlooks.

Sat Jun 23 2018

I went to all the major NP' this week and the drives to and from have been unreal. I'm always on a timetable yet I find myself pulling over to take a pic lol

Sun Mar 18 2018

Driving through this area I just had to pull over at the visitors center and check it out. I didn't plan on this detor, but I kept saying, I want to see what is just around this corner, or just around that rock for it was all so very beautiful. I ended up hiking around here for over a half hour, and I have it on my list to go back and do more of it for it was surprisingly great area. Here is my blog post if you want to see some pictures. http://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/01/?m=1

Sun Nov 12 2017

Variety of changing landscapes with lots of opportunities for photos. It's deemed one of the best scenic drives in America for a reason - don't miss it!

Sat Jun 24 2017

Beautiful route with tons of photo opps. If you're visiting any of the area parks, you'll find yourself driving this route automatically!

Fri Apr 21 2017

Just excellent scenery for a drive by but better for access to great hiking.

Sat Dec 31 2016

awesome all the way

Fri Nov 04 2016

Rock formations in Utah are awesome....

Sun Oct 30 2016

Very nice drive

Wed May 04 2016

truly a great drive

Sat Jun 21 2014

A very pretty drive!

Sun Mar 17 2013

Great place to visit! Bryce Canyon NP near the west end, Kodachrome Basin SP, Grosvenor Arch along the way.

Fri Nov 02 2012