Upper Muley Twist

Upper Muley Twist is a 14.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

The start of this trailhead is from the 4WD trail head if you start from the 2WD trailhead it would be another 4.8 miles and another 140 ft elevation gain

Why, oh WHY is noone talking about how dangerous this trail is? With a 30 pound pack on, I was legitimately scared and decided to turn back, for two reasons: (1) According to my GPS map, there is a large variance in distance and elevation between where the trail should be, and where I was, to the point where I thought the cairns were for a different trail, and (2) the sheer drops in the slickrock and cliffs, mixed with sometimes loose rocks that you're depending on for hand and foot holds, made for a very dangerous experience especially with a pack on. Location wise, I went clockwise at the split, and decided to turn around at pretty much the northern most point. I thought if the trail DID continue, I couldn't see how it would get past the cliffs to the east of me since they were SHEER cliffs, so at that point I decided to turn around. I'd recommend having a buddy to tether to, it's that nerve-wracking. To get my point across, I'm not a scardy-cat but I do have my limits (I've ridden my track-bike around Daytona International Raceway at 184mph, dragging a knee around corners, but I felt this trail was way more dangerous than that.

We did this as a one night backpacking trip, but could definitely be explored in a day hike or longer trip if you wanted. In November we only saw two other people the entire time we were out there. It's not marked very well, so be prepared with maps, compasses, etc. If you don't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle you will have to park farther out.

The rim portion provides some amazing views of the folds in the earth. Will need high clearance to get to the actual trailhead which makes thr actual hike about 9 miles. Doable as a day hike even if you are doing all 15 miles.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Did this hike as a short backpacking trip. However, Definitely can be done as a long day hike. I really enjoyed hiking along the ridgeline. Fairly quiet trail. Only saw a handful of people along the way.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

This is a great trail that culminates in a view of Capital Reef that is unbelievable! Have hiked this a couple of times over the years and enjoyed each one.

off road driving
Monday, March 11, 2013

We drove this trail during our trip on the Bur Trail. It's a nice side trip if you have a 4X4. At the end, there is a hike you can do to the Strike Valley overlook

Thursday, May 24, 2012

A long but cool hike. There is no grand rewarding view or anything, which for many people would make them question doing a 9 mile hike, but for me I highly enjoyed hiking along the ridge and wash of the canyons in the waterpocket fold of Capitol Reef. If you have a lot of time and you just want to get a long hike in this is great. If you're trying to see a lot of different stuff or are time constrained you should probably do something else

Saturday, May 04, 2013