Upper Muley Twist is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 10.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,354 feet Route Type: Loop

The start of this trailhead is from the 4WD trail head if you start from the 2WD trailhead it would be another 4.8 miles and another 140 ft elevation gain

Beautiful. The Upper Muley Twist has a little bit of everything that makes Capitol Reef special: steep canyons, slots, arches, sweeping sandstone formations. Panoramic views of the Strike Valley and snow-capped Henry Mts. Incredible. Beware though, the trail as marked on the app here is wrong in the most important part: the transition from rim to canyon, or vice versa. Lots of false cairns and footprints on dead end spurs can lead you astray. No cell service, recommend downloading the map here before you go. We had a backup map that saved us when we lost the trail. On the top part of the canyon route, the transition to the rim route, stay to the west on the slick rock instead of the trail as marked here and you’ll have an easier time. The slot is fun to explore when you get down.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Awsome hike and quite the workout. Incredible views of the water pocket fold. Follow the cairns it's easy to lose the trail on the way down from the rim. I went counter clockwise on the loop and I'm glad that I did.

Sun May 20 2018

This hike was awesome, however it was a little challenging for me as a fairly new hiker. Most of the challenge for us was a later (1:30 pm) start and due to some off-trail exploration, we were pushed for time to finish the trail before sundown. Overall the trail was well-marked with cairns although we did lose the trail for about 15 minutes on the ascent. There was some scrambling up to the top but it really wasn’t that bad. I’d recommend an earlier start so you can fully enjoy the hike unless you’re a super fast hiker! Great views at the top!

Wed Mar 14 2018

Here are some details I think you should know about this hike. The drive from Torrey to the trail head takes about 90 minutes and is faster coming from the east side up the Burr trail switchbacks. It took a lot longer on the west side. The 4WD road from to turn off to the trail head was fun. I had a Tahoe and didn't scrape, but anything lower in clearance would have had a problem. The walk in the wash is kind of a sludge. Nothing special, the cool aspect of this hike is looking up at the rock formations. You wont' see rock formations like this on any other hike in Utah. As far as the 'scary' parts...specifically the climb out of the wash, just have good traction and make every step secure. I never felt nervous, my youngest (10) had no problem. There are plenty of cairns, just pay attention to them and you'll have no problem staying on the trail. Between cairns, footprints and a map, you'll be fine. I thoroughly enjoyed the hike, but have been on better ones in Zion, Arches, Escalante.

Tue Jan 09 2018

Why, oh WHY is noone talking about how dangerous this trail is? With a 30 pound pack on, I was legitimately scared and decided to turn back, for two reasons: (1) According to my GPS map, there is a large variance in distance and elevation between where the trail should be, and where I was, to the point where I thought the cairns were for a different trail, and (2) the sheer drops in the slickrock and cliffs, mixed with sometimes loose rocks that you're depending on for hand and foot holds, made for a very dangerous experience especially with a pack on. Location wise, I went clockwise at the split, and decided to turn around at pretty much the northern most point. I thought if the trail DID continue, I couldn't see how it would get past the cliffs to the east of me since they were SHEER cliffs, so at that point I decided to turn around. I'd recommend having a buddy to tether to, it's that nerve-wracking. To get my point across, I'm not a scardy-cat but I do have my limits (I've ridden my track-bike around Daytona International Raceway at 184mph, dragging a knee around corners, but I felt this trail was way more dangerous than that.

Tue Nov 14 2017

We did this as a one night backpacking trip, but could definitely be explored in a day hike or longer trip if you wanted. In November we only saw two other people the entire time we were out there. It's not marked very well, so be prepared with maps, compasses, etc. If you don't have a 4-wheel drive vehicle you will have to park farther out.

Tue Jun 06 2017

The rim portion provides some amazing views of the folds in the earth. Will need high clearance to get to the actual trailhead which makes thr actual hike about 9 miles. Doable as a day hike even if you are doing all 15 miles.

Sun Sep 18 2016

Did this hike as a short backpacking trip. However, Definitely can be done as a long day hike. I really enjoyed hiking along the ridgeline. Fairly quiet trail. Only saw a handful of people along the way.

Sun Mar 29 2015

This is a great trail that culminates in a view of Capital Reef that is unbelievable! Have hiked this a couple of times over the years and enjoyed each one.

ohv/off road driving
Mon Mar 11 2013

We drove this trail during our trip on the Bur Trail. It's a nice side trip if you have a 4X4. At the end, there is a hike you can do to the Strike Valley overlook

Thu May 24 2012

A long but cool hike. There is no grand rewarding view or anything, which for many people would make them question doing a 9 mile hike, but for me I highly enjoyed hiking along the ridge and wash of the canyons in the waterpocket fold of Capitol Reef. If you have a lot of time and you just want to get a long hike in this is great. If you're trying to see a lot of different stuff or are time constrained you should probably do something else

Sat Jun 01 2019