Upper Falls

Upper Falls is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Upper Falls is about a half a mile from the Upper Falls Park in Provo Canyon. The trail head is located just off of the Provo River Trail on the other side of the river from the park. The trail is fairly easy and can be done by most. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

It’s a great easy hike past Bridal Veil falls, until you get to the house with the graffiti. From there its a short, steep, rocky uphill trail to the falls. Very pretty though

There is no trailhead sign that we saw. The concrete building with graffiti on it is the start. We parked in Bridal Veil Falls parking lot and went there first. Just continue following the pathway about another 0.5-0.75 miles further to the upper Falls trail. It's super short. We did it in 10 -15 minutes up. There's a lot of loose rock which could be difficult for younger children. We went up in the afternoon around 2pm. It was unseasonably warm for beginning of November. There was no one else around so we had the Falls all to ourselves.

Hard to find but for sure worth it

Another easy hike for amazing end result. It does have a few rocky areas so wear good shoes. My kids and dog did this easily. A good alternative to bridal veil if you want a little more challenge and less people.

I would not rate this as easy but we all agreed it was one of the prettiest waterfalls we've seen.

Awesome lesser known hike to an incredible waterfall. Did the hike with four kids under 8. Shaded and far less crowded than most hikes in Provo.

We parked past Bridal Veil Falls and walked across a bridge. The hike is a little steep and rocky, but the waterfall is beautiful and we were the only ones there, so it was nice and peaceful.

Great hike, one of my favorites although it can be a little steep for younger people.

climbed this with my 7mo old in a backpack and it wasn't too strenuous. there are lots of loose rocks, but it's not that steep and doesn't take too long to reach the falls

I love the hike. It's not a long hike. I took my 2 year old. It's not an easy trail for toddlers. It's kinda a steep hike with loose rocks closer to the falls. there is no sign where the trail begins. I took a pick where the trail begin and upload it. I hope this helps.

We decided to drive past the Bridal Veils parking and past the Upper Falls Park, and we finally parked near the water facility to cut some of the mileage off the hike. We didn't have much time, and we had 8 kids between the ages of 6-14 with us. I think this made the total hike a little over a mile.

We found the trail behind some concrete buildings. It is really steep and has very tricky, rocky footing. I considered giving this hike 3 stars because of the whining it produced in a couple of the kids. But the fall is really pretty and dramatic. But climbing over the shifting rocks and trees to get to it near the base made it hard to enjoy the water. But overall, we enjoyed the experience. Maybe we'll go back when the kids are older.

The hardest part was finding the trail! Just follow the Parkway past Bridal Veil Falls, and maybe a half-mile down from there you will see a small, concrete, and graffitied building. The trail is right next to it, pretty small, but clearly marked. Most of the distance you cover is the Parkway, so it is an easy hike. The little bit on the trail isn't too hard either, though you will actually be hiking.

Upper falls is closed for construction

I wouldn't call this hike easy, personally. It's short, but quite steep the whole way to the falls (once you turn off of the walkway). They're pretty enough and it's nice that traffic is low on this trail. In the spring, there tends to be a TON of burrs. We take our dog hiking a lot, but she got easily 10 times the amount of burrs we've ever seen on other trails. It's not like that all of the time, but if you have a dog with a lot of leg or belly fur, just be aware this is a possibility.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Amazing view of the waterfall, but the hike up is a dangerous one. The way up isn't so bad, but coming down is a bit tricky.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

I've gone past the very top of the waterfall before, which these stats don't include. There are a few places past the second waterfall where lengths of rope were left to help you get farther up the trail (this is different from the metal chord mentioned earlier). It's sort of dangerous, but doable. If you have an actual harness, that would eliminate any danger, but I managed without. The view out is mostly the same after the upper waterfall, but I thought it was fun to explore, and the creek that turns into the waterfall is pretty. NOT for kids or pets.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Rocky, dusty trail. A bit sketchy in some places. Someone even set a length of electrical cable as a rope. I'd suggest wearing sturdy shoes with aggressive treads/good traction rather than typical athletic shoes.

Nice view from the base of the lower falls (above the cascade). Lots of people scrambling up rocks along the cascade to the base of the lower falls. At the base of the cascade, right off the paved trail, the water is shallow enough for little kids to play in the water. We will definitely take the kids back with their swim suits and water shoes and probably go early in the morning to avoid the big crowds.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Pretty easy quick hike when we found the right trail. Some parts I would definitely watch little ones tho. We got confused in the beginning because it forks off into a rocky path. Yea, don't go that way. Very dangerous. Falls is beautiful

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great family friendly trail to a beautiful known sight up Provo Canyon. If you go around midday on the weekend, expect a full crowd.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Awesome for kids my 4 kids aging from 14 to 4 loved it!!!!