Upper Calf Creek Falls Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a short hike over slickrock with cairns to show the way. Farther along the trail shows better when the rock gives way to soil. The views right from the trail register are stunning and varied with much variety of geological formations and rocks. The falls are cool with a sort of oasis appeal along the creek. Be sure to take a little water because the rocks and the climb will bring a little thirst. There are no fees for this hike.

waterfall beautiful nice hike but beginning of trail not marked well. More cairns (cement caires like other trails) at start would make easier to do.

Decent hike, but very strenuous on the way back up. Looking down from the top of the falls was breathtaking. Also saw a few fish in the little swimming hole. Only rating it a 3/5 because most of the hike was fairly desolate. Was a great workout though!

Straight down for a mile, means straight up for a mile. Prepare for that. There is zero shade, so time of day should be considered. Trail is not marked well, so download this map before your trip. The falls are pretty. Go about another 100 feet past Upper Falls to the swimming hole with an awesome little waterfall.

Wundeful hike, but someone seems to have destroyed the cairns on the first part of the trail!!!
We started at 8 am and had the trail nearly for ourselves.

3-4 stars, can’t give more as this trail is poorly marked with cairns only occasionally placed. Toward the end of the trail you can take fork right to a small swim hole, the top of the falls, or veer left for the bottom of the falls . Small area to enter falls but we were lucky to have it to ourselves . Very hot trail, very little shade, hike early & bring more water than you think you’ll need. Very low flow and nothing compared to Lower Calf Creek Falls trail .

We took our 5 year old and or 2.5 year old. It was very steep, but or 5 year old did the whole climb! we had to carry our 2.5 year old 1/2 way down, and all the way up. The waterfall was smaller than lower calf creek, but the trail was not very busy at all (on memorial day weekend). It can be hard to follow the trail at time. Sometimes we'd choose a way and were confirmed with a tower of rocks a little ways down the path we chose. The waterfall was still really cool, and it was fun to jump into the very deep pool right below the fall. The water is very cold though, so be warned. We also saw a fish in the pool.

Great hike down over slickrock to pools and waterfalls. Beautiful scenery looking out over canyon

This is a beautiful hike.amd fun adventure to find all the Kairns to find the trail. The trail starts down a steep Rock face mountain, and then the trail varies from path to going over rock faces where you follow the Kairns. The falls were not running too strong in February, but still pretty. My only complaint about the hike is that it was so easy to get lost on the way back. I was never in any huge danger for I knew I had to climb one of the Rock faces to the east, but which one was safest. I ended up hiking up a nit too safe one and stepping on a rock that looked stable, but it started a mini Rock slide with me in it a little ways down the mountain. Freaked me out. It took me a while to get my breathing back to normal. It it what inspired me to get an external GPS for areas like Escalante that are so without service.and this trusty app. What a blessing that combo is. Here is my blog post if you want to see pictures. http://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/01/360-adventure-upper-calf-creek-falls.html?m=1

The trail is sandy and gets hot so bring some water. The waterfall is worth the hike and wonderful to soak your feet or take a dip in so keep that in mind if you want to get wet.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

A little longer than expected but beautiful waterfall

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fantastic hike! Very scenic the whole way, ending with a gorgeous, huge (maybe 100 foot) water fall. This is a fun short hike; only 2 miles, and consists of heading down into the canyon to the Cottonwood filled creek bed and falls. Keep in mind this hike has 600 foot elevation drop, then climb, so it's tough. Only recommended for people not in pretty good condition. Also the whole hike is exposed so sun and heat are an issue. We did the hike just after an early dinner so it was comfortable.

Monday, April 24, 2017

There are two different falls on this hike, a lower and upper (not to be confused with the separate hike Lower Calf Creek Falls). Close to the falls there is a split in the cairns and you can either start dropping to the lower section where the falls are bigger or stay high and go to the more pool like and smaller falls. Both sections are beautiful.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Their is a trail to the bottom of this fall, I missed it so only saw the top of it. Watch close so you don't miss the main attraction.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I hiked this over the weekend for the first time and loved it. We were the only ones on the trail and were met by a few people once we arrived at the falls. The water was pretty cold but it was perfect with the 100 degree weather we were facing. Getting there was easy, basically all downhill on smooth rocks with few sandy/rocky areas. If you are hiking this in the summer, remember that going back up is entirely uphill with some very steep sections. In the 100 degree weather, the hike back was less than enjoyable. Make sure to bring plenty of water - you'll need it!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Hiked this in August for a short afternoon hike. Still a wildflower or two. Had the trail all to myself. Not really any good spots to sit near the waterfall, but very pretty and refreshing.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Fun quick hike. The falls are nice and the pool very inviting.

Friday, May 13, 2016

My kids (teenagers) loved this hike. We went in the spring and it was perfect, summer would be hot though. It's down a lot of slickrock and little shade, but so beautiful. We loved the pools and waterfalls, so peaceful.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hot summers but the water is always refreshing

Monday, September 28, 2015

Beautiful waterfall and refreshing plunge in the pool at the bottom. Good hike.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Beautiful trail! All downhill to the falls and uphill on the way back. It was easier than I thought it would be.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Did this hike during an early summer evening and it was spectacular! My favorite parts of the hike -
beautiful, short, awesome swimming hole above falls, no crowds.

Monday, December 01, 2014

A nice hike and happy to check off my list. Not as scenic as lower calf Creek Falls.

Saturday, June 08, 2013

Great hike. Take lots of water and your swimming suit!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I have a feeling some of the other reviewers are thinking of the lower falls. The upper falls aren't as spectacular as the lower falls, but I think the hike to the upper falls is better, and it's not nearly as crowded. It's a steep hike that descends into the canyon. You have to hike up to get back to the trailhead.