Under the Rim Trail

Under the Rim Trail is a 21.1 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bryce Canyon, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

Point to Point

Directions from Bryce Canyon Visitor Center: Bryce Point Access: Take the Red Line shuttle to Bryce Point to begin this hike.

Three of my friends and I backpacked Under the Rim from Bryce Point to Swamp Canyon and back. The first night we camped at Right Fork Swamp Canyon, hiked back towards the trailhead the next day, camped the second night at Right Fork Yellow Creek, and woke up at 4am the next day so we could do a sunrise hike out of the canyon! This was, by far, one of my favorite backpacking routes. The trail is a great workout with decent elevation change, the usage is very low once you get away from Bryce Point, and the canyon views are absolutely breathtaking. I recommend getting up early and watching the sunrise/staying up late enough for the stars at night. I really hope to come back to this trail and experience again the peace all four of us found here.

We backpacked in 44L of water with us as the rangers were unsure of water levels at Yellow Creek when we called ahead. There ended up being a decent enough stream that you could definitely filter water out of, but if you're going much past Yellow Creek and/or backpacking I definitely recommend bringing at least 4-5L of water/person/day (more if you're going to be using the water for cooking). Some reviews have said that this trail is poorly marked but, along the route we did, it was very clear. I can't speak for past Swamp Canyon but if you're only going that far you shouldn't need a compass. The visitor center rents out bear canisters for free (you must have a bear canister if staying overnight) and will provide you with a free backcountry map!

We hiked about an eight mile stretch of this trail. We entered at the Auga canyon connecting trail and dropped directly into the bottom via some impressive switch backs. Then we headed North until we hit Whiteman connecting trail. Great hike, we want to go back and finish the entire trail. This was during the 4th of July and the park was packed on all of the short trails that we hiked. We only saw one other person the entire time. Will definitely go back for this one alone.

This is magical.. every so many miles the landscape changes from rocky, forested to sandy and sagebrushy. Elevation gains and losses happy often. YOU MUST CAMP at Yellow Creek!! Best spot in the park along the trial in the Rainbow Point area. MUST DO if you are in Bryce. I lived in the park and hiked it all.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

An absolutely beautiful, secluded trail. The trail is barely marked at all so night hiking isn't the best since the trail is more for sightseeing rather than getting from point a to b. I'd recommend an actual topo map and compass since the trail is so void of markings. This trail will make the sound of a river the most beautiful sound in the world to you, just remember to bring iodine tablets.

Saturday, September 07, 2013