Twin Lakes Trail

Twin Lakes Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Parking at the Silver Lakes Information center

A forgotten +favorite!
Definitely family friendly, but not "we just started hiking last week and this is our 3rd hike ever" family friendly.
Took my 2, 4, and 5.5 year olds and made it round trip in about two and a half hours with the little one needing to be carried occasionally.
The first half is an ideal moderate hike, shaded with gorgeous pine and aspen and a well packed trail, the second half is more exposed with loose rocks as the trail and a fairly steep incline.
The gorgeous pristine lake is worth every step and I was SO impressed with how clean the trail and lake were...not a wrapper. Kudos to our fellow hikers for being responsible and packing out their trash!
I was a little turned off that the parking lot was overflowing and there were hundreds of people, but once we got off the silver lake trail and started towards Twin Lakes, we had very few people to share the trail with!

Fun hike! We were able to do this one with my 6 year old sister although the steeper parts were a little more difficult for her. Once we got to the top we all enjoyed hanging out around the lake. My family and I watched a guy catch a fairly large fish and we all applauded him. Definitely worth the effort to get up there!

This hike is a quick get away. The lake is beautiful and a great introduction to the area. Steep but short.

Great short hike, nice incline the whole way. Great spots to hang hammocks and relax.

Really great quick hike! Started at about 8 and got to the top at 9, we took lots of stops as well. The trail was empty the whole way up. Gets pretty steep towards the top. Beautiful views. Coming back down the trail got pretty busy.

Short hike but the incline makes it moderately difficult. The area around the lake is gorgeous no matter what time of the year you go. made this hike on June 2, 2018 and the lake is still mostly iced over with snow on the far side of the lake measuring 13 inches in spots.

I haven't been out yet this year (work is cramping my style!) so I decided on a quick Father's Day hike to get the blood pumping. Went up to Twin Lakes, then over to Mary, Dog, then up to the top of the Crest Lift and back. Very little snow throughout, at least nothing to write home about at this point. Liked this trail well enough, although I think I'd prefer to go the Brighton-Mary-Twin route and back. Nice views, not very strenuous and a good way to kick my season off. Recommended for the whole family!

Challenging but fun hike. No snow and trail is dry. Great views of Silver Lake along the way makes you forget about the uphill climb.

Made it to Twin Lake fairly easily. Now getting across to go to Lake Mary was another story. We were able to get about half way across the Granite Lakes Trail connector and it turned to snow packed and we lost track of trail. Yes even with a GPS. It was covered in snow. We ended up going down one of the stream trails (ish) to the LDS Girls Camp and walking down from there. Heard that the top end at Lake Mary was snow packed and hard to find trails. Snow shoes, poles, and better marked trails. We still had a great time though.

I was just going to do Silver Lake and saw the sign for Twin lakes and seen that it was only a mile with 700 elevation gain so I thought I would have a go. It is mostly straight up but if you make frequent stops it is a fairly easy hike. On the way up I saw a Marmot and a Pika. (Near the area of the landslide) About 3/4 of the way up you start to run into snow. Which is slushy and the lake is still frozen with snow. Again, on a sunny day when the water is thawed I bet it is gorgeous to see the reflections. It was still pretty.

love this hike. little busy. but go early!!

Actually we started with the intention of going to Lake Solitude, but went up the trail for Twin Lakes instead. We did this back in September of this year. We weren't sure how the snow would make the hiking experience different as we are new to hiking. We actually ended up liking hiking up in the snow as when there was no snow on the trail, it was a bit hard to traverse up on the trail on the stones, pebbles and boulders on the trail. It seemed in some parts of the trail there was up to a foot of snow. But, there were some sections that were a bit slushy or slippery, so walking sticks or the snow cleats may be helpful. I am quite a slow hiker, so going up took about 1 hr 45 min and about 50 minutes to go down.

Beautiful hike with just enough snow right now. It's all pretty much uphill so it's a nice workout but not too challenging.

Seeing a frozen Silver Lake right at the beginning was an added bonus!

a little bit of snow and ice patches to walk through to the dam but the trail covered with leaves is beautiful!

Short and easy. Peaceful!

Heavily trafficked is an understatement! But the lake and views is amazing.

Definitely moderate. The entire stretch from Silver Lake to Twin Lake is uphill and rocky. Twin Lake itself isn't super big, but it has a beautiful view.

Started at Silver Lake, then on to Solitude Lake, then on to Twin Lakes for 3.8 miles in about an hour and a half moving time and 994 elevation change for these two 60-ish out of shape folks. The climb down from Twin Lakes was less pleasant than the other 2.5 miles; we will just reverse next time. Sights above Twin Lakes were great, the views and vistas between Twin Lakes and Solitude Lake awesome.

Beautiful trail. Our group saw Moose, marmots and squirrels. Short hike, perfect for the shortening evenings of late summer. Altitude may bother you if you haven't hiked the are before. But nice, short, after-work challenge.

Great trail, took the kids was a little tough towards the end but well worth it.

I would not call this an Easy trail. It is STEEP for nearly the entire 1.2 miles in. The wildflowers were spectacular though.

Beautiful trail with many animals to see. I would rate it as Moderate (not easy) due to quite a few steep uphills.

Good easy trail and if you combine it with want of the peaks around it you can easily add to the challenge, easiest of them all is Mount Evergreen right next to the lake and dam but from close to the summit you will have a view of Solitude Lake on one side and Twin Lakes on the other! Happy trails

We loved this hike. It's gorgeous with the mountainside full of wild flowers, beautiful pines and quakies. When we made it to the top to see Twin Lakes, it was breathtaking. So worth It!

For about the last 1 1/2 miles, it is challenging with a steep grade and a rocky trail. This hike should be listed as moderate, rather than easy.

7/23/17 - Beautiful easy hike. I had no idea how large this lake was. A little steep in a few spots, but all ages should fine.

This hike is absolutely amazing. If you plan on going on this hike do not give up at the beginning. This Hike can be steep for about a mile of your hike, but is well worth the view/lake. If you want to take the loop back around go on the trail to solitude lake. This will eventually take you back to silver lake.

Was about a 5.5 Mile hike all around there, and back.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

great hike to pretty lake and view. moderate effort up. I didn't return on this trail but connected over to Solitude.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Twin Lakes is a beautiful hike this time of year with the wildflowers in bloom. We saw many flowers along the trail today including Rocky Mountain Columbine, Blue Bells, various penstemon varieties, and many more.

This is an easy hike with a moderate uphill climb most of the way, and some rocky areas. Twin Lakes is a great hike for kids of all ages with a rewarding destination at the end of the trail. The Twin Lakes is a large, alpine lake, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks.

My son and I hiked this trail today and enjoyed a great afternoon outside. He is only two years old and made it almost all the way to the top by himself. I only put him in the backpack towards the end when I noticed he was getting tired. I carried him downhill on the way back too, because of it was steep and rocky. I didn't want him to take a bad tumble.

I'd recommend hiking around the lake while you're there. The scenery is spectacular and there are wildflowers growing everywhere. It can be a little sketch in a few places with some down climbing, but it's well worth it and a fun little adventure.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I wouldn't consider this an "easy" hike. It is quite steep the whole way, and the footing is incredibly rocky! Even my proficient hikers (14, 7 years old) found this hike quite challenging. My middle two kids really struggled, but they persevered and were so proud they did! Heck, most of the 20-Somethings on the trail were all huffing by the top. But, WOW, what a pay-off! Not only is the lake beautiful, we also saw all kinds of wildlife. We'll definitely go back and make a day of it. There were huge fish up there calling our names.