Toroweap Overlook Scenic Drive

Toroweap Overlook Scenic Drive is a 149.1 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Saint George, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is best used from April until September.

Point to Point

scenic driving

historic site

off road driving

I made this trip in my stock RAM 1500. I am not an avid/experienced off-roader, but this was definitely enjoyable.
Start early, it takes a long time to get out and back, but the view is worth it. Any SUV or truck shoudl be able to handle the terrain. Most other cars would be able to make it up to a parking spot that's about 2.3 miles from the rim. You could hike the last portion but it gets HOT in the summer months.
The most important detail to consider about your car is the ground clearance. You must have at least 11 1/2 inches, 13 inches and up will be better. My truck has a step-bar that's at 11 1/2 and I scraped the ground once (no damage, no problem).
It's remote, bring enough water to hold you over for 24 hours and bring some food. I would highly recommend bringing a full-size spare tire, some basic tools, and maybe a shovel just in case yo get stuck (can't see how). I brought a "2 in. x 12 in. x 8 ft. Premium #2 and Better Douglas Fir Lumber" (cut in two pieces) which came in very handy when I had to slide under the truck to change the tire.
I found the stretch from St. George more scenic and entertaining, the other stretch from/to the 389 can be done by any passenger car and is pretty simple, sometimes boring dirt road.
If you are looking for a scenic drive with great views at the end and without any extreme off-road adventure - this is it!

off road driving

If I could describe this trip in one word it is remote. 3/4 of the drive you could not see an sign of civilization. The views are incredible. The terrain changes so many times through the drive, you really get to see everything this area has to offer. We started on the 109 from Fredonia. Once you are on the dirt road, it starts out very groomed and wide. This continues for the first hour of driving. The gets a bit rocky as you get closer to the overlook. Some sections have some decent wash boards that will shake down your vehicle for any loose bolts. Once you've reached the ranger station. You're just under 6 miles from the overlook. This section is rough and slow. 2 Miles from the overlook there is a place to park for those without high clearance vehicles and 4WD. The last 2 miles are a crawl. I never had to engage 4WD, but it might be necessary for some. Once you've parked you have some of the most incredible views you may ever see. It is also silent, we could not hear anything. No airplanes, traffic, even people. It is truly a remote location. There are a few picnic tables and a restroom. The drive out required 4WD just to help get up some of the rocks. We were driving a 2017 Toyota 4Runner with larger tires and a small lift. It would be a challenge for anything that is not a pick-up truck or SUV. If you choose your line right I doubt you'd really need 4WD, but being this remote it's probably best if you have it. For the drive out we took the 5, which its a left turn after cattle guard just after the ranger station. This route takes you through Mount Trumbull and all the way into St. George, UT. The sun was setting and it was getting dark. Our 4Runner has a 40" light bar that made the night drive a lot easier, it would have been a little bit harder without any auxiliary lights. This route starts out as a very well groomed road. Wide enough for two cars. We drove through some snow patches along the way. We were only able to drive this route during the winter due to the lack of precipitation in the area this winter. One big storm and this road would be a challenge and there are signs that warn of this road being impassable during winter. The road gets a bit narrow when you begin to decent out of the mountain. Once you're out of the mountains, it's smooth sailing along a wide dirt road for the last leg. This was an incredible trip, so much to see. I recommend an early start so you can take advantage of as much daylight as possible. It's a little over 150 miles in the dirt, so keep an eye on your fuel. The rangers are very friendly and truly have a passion for the area. They do an outstanding job at maintaining this spot for all to enjoy. This was my first trip to the Grand Canyon, and wont be my last. I am really glad I made the journey.