Learn more

Timpanogos Hike To Emerald Lake is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.3 mi Elevation gain 3,467 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (845)
Recordings (121)
Completed (562)
Clay K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Most crowded I’ve ever seen. Wild flowers in bloom!

View Clay's Recording
Clay K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Dusty and crowded. Lots of folks going up for the flowers.

View Clay's Recording
Sarah B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
Hiking

Wonderful trail. Started at 7 on a Thursday and finished around 1, but we stopped at Elmerald lake for a while (watching the mountain goats!) and really took our time on the way down. We are also coming from sea level (we live a mile from the ocean) so we felt the altitude. Most challenging are the switchbacks the last mile or so up to the lake. The trail was busier than we expected. Lots of traffic on the way up, less on the way down as many hikers were continuing on to Timpanogos summit. The most gorgeous wildflowers I have ever seen and great views of the valley. Highly recommend

Brittany Crane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
Hiking

great trail. reminds me of Switzerland. dozens of waterfalls.

View Brittany's Recording
Trent Carlisle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 22, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

From the Pleasant Grove Ranger District: Mount Timpanogos Trails Update June 22, 2020: "Snow begins at the top of Primrose Cirque (about 3.5 miles) and is intermittent until reaching Hidden Lakes (about 5 miles). Snow then covers most of the trail to Emerald Lake. Emerald Lake is still mostly covered with snow/ice. The trail from Emerald Lake to the Saddle is also completely covered by snow. Rivers are running fast beneath snowfields and often are hidden from view. Hikers are strongly advised to hike only to the snowline for safety. Travel beyond the snowline is very dangerous with the danger growing as strong snow-melt accelerates. Snow often lingers through early/mid July in Upper Basins."

Adam Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

Had an awesome hike today up to Emarld Lake. We started at Aspen Grove. It is so pretty up there. Didn’t make it all the way, still too much snow up that way, so be careful. Me and my friend Jana came across quite a gem on our hike. We found a baby Rubber Boa Snake on the trail on our way back down. It was pretty exciting. I guess these Snakes are very rare in Utah. You can see it in the pictures above.

Trent Carlisle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
HikingSnow

From the Pleasant Grove Ranger District: Mount Timpanogos Trails Update June 15, 2020 "Aspen Grove: Snow begins at the top of Primrose Cirque (about 3.5 miles) and is intermittent until reaching Hidden Lakes (about 5 miles). Snow then covers most of the trail to Emerald Lake. Emerald Lake is still mostly covered with snow/ice. The trail from Emerald Lake to the Saddle is also completely covered by snow. Rivers are running fast beneath snowfields and often are hidden from view. Hikers are strongly advised to hike only to the snowline for safety. Travel beyond the snowline is very dangerous with the danger growing as strong snow-melt accelerates. Snow often lingers through early/mid July in Upper Basins."

Bridget Pettit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
HikingFeeSnow

Hiked 5/29/20. We made it 3.2 miles (6.4 miles round trip) from the Aspen Grove trailhead before being turned around by multiple snowbanks that would require spikes to traverse. Still, this has got to be one of the most incredible hikes I’ve ever done due to near-constant views. Passed 2 major waterfalls and could see many others. Husband has a fear of heights, so some of the more exposed traverses with unvegetated dropoffs were nervewracking. $6 fee to park at trailhead. Despite a Ranger in the fee station, they have moved to online payment. No need to print out a confirmation, you can just write down the confirmation number and stick it on your windshield.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 9, 2019

Great day for a hike

View Breck's Recording
Leksi Skousen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 26, 2019
Hiking

This is a challenging hike. Not too steep until the switchbacks near the cliffs. That’s also where we hit snowy and icy patches which made the going a little precarious. The trail gets narrow along the cliff where the switchbacks are and the snow makes it pretty slick. We didn’t make it to the lake, but we made it to the meadow and the views were gorgeous. It’s pretty windy so bring a shell to keep warm. There are a few different waterfalls on the way up that are gorgeous. I prefer this route to the Timpanooke trail, but it is a bit more challenging (a bit steeper). We only saw a few other people on the trail, because it’s later in the season.

View Leksi's Recording
ETB Travel Photography
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2019
Hiking

What a wonderful hike. Nice colors. Gradual trail until the switch backs up the cliff with slight exposure. Lake with the glacier is wonderful and awesome to see the mountain goats. For recent pics and more info, visit https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/10/03/hikes-in-american-fork-canyon/

Joseph Hovey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2019
HikingRocky

I hit this trail at 1pm and made it back to the parking lot at 8:45pm. make sure tip bring a flashlight if you're starting in the afternoon. the hit up by the lake is a grassy shelter if you head up to late. if you're not used to the elevation the last quarter of the tail is much more difficult. it's cold up at the lake in October so be sure to bring some kind of wind resistant jacket. I was not prepared for a hike of this difficulty. if you're used to doing easy to moderate hikes, I would suggest working up to this one. as I was stairing out over Emerald lake, rethinking my life choices, I asked myself if it was worth the pain trudging my 60 lbs overweight beer belly up the side of Mt. Timpanogos. Hell ya it was!

View Joseph's Recording
Ernest Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 2, 2019
Hiking

Mount Timpanogos from Aspen Grove to Timpooneke. The hike was very busy on Labor day. The weather was perfect. I started from the Aspen Grove trailhead. There were only small patches of snow/ice left. After the summit, I hiked to the Timpooneke trailhead where I had already parked my bicycle. Hiking from trailhead to trailhead was 5h15m for me that day. I biked up around 2.8 miles to Summit Trailhead at 8060 ft. Riding up was hard especially after the hike. After that, it was a pleasant 4 miles bike ride back down to the Aspen Grove trailhead where I had parked my car.

View Ernest's Recording
Abbey Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

We did this 8/31/19 with a start time of about 8:00 am. Great hike! We did this instead of going up the Timpanooke side. Aspen grove is wayyy less crowded and still enjoyable. Be ready for a climb in the heat. The whole time you are exposed to direct sun wrapping around switch backs.

Odessa Tinius
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2019
HikingBugsNo shade
View Odessa's Recording
Kathy P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky

BEAUTIFUL HIKE! Was strenuous, but the various waterfalls you pass and the views from the top are worth it. Lake level was low and not as grand as I imagined. Very little shade, so make sure you take plenty of water and sunscreen...recommend poles, too, as trail is very rocky and steep in places. Wild flowers were beautiful! Saw a herd of mountain goats sunning on the snow.

Roger Groom Jr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownRockyScrambleSnow

This is an amazing trail and timpanogos is truly a paradise. Really don’t want to spoil much, but we went there last weekend and there was still snow in the trail but this time there was very little and it was closer to slush then ice. Truly beautiful hike and definitely a hard one for the ending. I thought that the lake was beautiful, but after the push we went through to get there fast it just didn’t give me that exhilaration of finishing that you would expect. More of an exhaustion really. However this is really meant as a midway point to summit really, so not too much of a big deal

View Roger's Recording
Marina No Ar
Hiking

We cam back to finish this hike, really fast worth the effort!!!

View Marina's Recording
Justin Pulver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2019
HikingSnow

I did timp about 14 years ago on the timpooneke trail. I just did it with my wife today on the aspen grove trail. I would recommend the aspen grove trail over the timpooneke trail due to there being more variety in scenery and more wildlife. However I wouldn’t recommend doing it this year due to the amount of snow. Unless you have crampons, the snow going around the wildflower bowl and leading up to the saddle is extremely dangerous and while possible, there is no room for errors. But overall I thought this hike was very fun and challenging but also rewarding.

View Justin's Recording
Megan P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2019
HikingSnow

Due to the snowy winter this last year, there are still a few snow crossings as of July 31. One has a definite snow bridge, so double check to make sure the snow is stable. I brought micro spikes and I was glad I had them for some spots. The lake was still kind of icy. Beautiful views the entire hike!

Chris Swank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2019

5/6/19 - trail is extremely hard to find in the snow still