Timpanogos Cave Trail

Timpanogos Cave Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,505 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

partially paved

Note: Trail is CLOSED for construction until June 2019. Please check with the park page for updates and information.

Worth every step!! Our tour guide was amazing, and the views were awesome.

The elevation gain can be a killer but the view as you get further up looking out into the valley is incredibly worth it. Hiked in early September and while the cave tickets were sold out the trail itself was lightly trafficked. Look out for the trail markers ever quarter of the way up (the first is distinguished by the passing through of a gorgeous rock arch. Look out for chipmunk thieves.

Very strong incline to the cave, but absolutely worth it. Incredible views and the caves and breathtaking!

Steep hike up a paved trail. Provides interpretive signs and some nice views. Cave system does not have many formations relative to the other caves I've visited. Fine for those in shape, but the hike is somewhat difficult for a mediocre cave at the top. For pics, https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/10/03/hikes-in-american-fork-canyon/

Great hike with the entire family. We are a pretty active family and it took us about 45 minutes to reach the top about 25 minutes on the return. The cave is always fun but can depend on who you get as a ranger guide. All in all it’s a great way to spend the afternoon with the family.

Great hike, but man it's steep. I'll add though that I'm a chronic pain sufferer with a bad leg, and we were still able to make it... it took us a solid 2 hours up and 1 hour back down, but we made it. It was beautiful, and totally worth it. The trail is fully paved with many great photo opportunities. The rangers will tell you this, but there are parts of the trail with markings in which you aren't allowed to stop due to the potential of falling rock, so just watch out for those, and take breaks before and/or after them. There are also several benches to sit down/rest/stretch/etc all along the trail, which is really nice. The trail is marked to let you know how far you've come (1/4 of the way up, 1/2, 3/4), and there are numbers from 1-20 to the summit (I add that because, on the way up, we kept passing numbers and I had no idea how many of them there were. I totally could have missed a sign that explained there were 20 though, idk). Have fun on the cave tour if you choose to do it, and don't forget to touch the "employees only" door if you're just going up for the hike (it seems to be what all the regular hikers do upon reaching the summit, haha!).

Loved this hike! The trail has a steady incline but is paved the entire way. There are benches along the way and lots of beautiful scenery. The day I did this was a cool 45 degrees and it had snowed at upper elevations making the views all the more beautiful. I started the hike at 8 am and encountered quite a few folks with blue tags coming down. One gentleman I spoke with is 83 years young and he’d done the hike 53 times this season! On this day, the temperature in the cave was actually warmer than outside. I loved the cave tour - the ranger did a great job. We only had three folks in our group and were in the caves for an hour and ten minutes and got to learn and see so much. For me the most difficult portion of the hike was going through the cave. I’m 70 years old and 6’2” tall and not that flexible. There are quite a few places where you have to duck down and a few spots where you have to remain low while walking for a fair distance. I had a combo-hydration/day pack that started to scrape along the walls. I ended up taking it off and carrying it. The distance of the cave portion was just under a half mile according to our ranger and encompasses three different caves - all a bit different. Bottom line - the hike up and down are beautiful and great workouts - the cave tour is the cherry on top!

Steep! But our little kids did it and the caves are really worth it.

I consider myself a seasoned hiker. This hike, being so popular, took me by surprise. Maybe it was because I had children with me. Maybe it was because I had already gone on a run for the day. Regardless it was a lot more challenging than I expected. It’s beautiful but steep. Perfectly groomed, but watch and listen for falling rock. Keep your eye out for the markers in the pavement. That helps keep kids occupied on the way up! The rangers are all so helpful and fun to be with. Definitely recommend!

Fun trail, though can be steep and challenging for some. Paved the whole way. Down hill was harder than uphill for me, and some of my family members. The cave is in the top of the mountain, and absolutely beautiful!

Steep and sweet views

Did this trail years ago, the views from the top are amazing, inside the cave truly fells like something from a movie, gorgeous!! It’s not a wild trail at all but, good work out to get up there.

I would rate this as easy it’s paved all the way up wish it wasn’t.

Pretty steep trail. It is paved the whole way up to the caves so I'm not sure I would rate it as hard, probably more moderate. My 3 and 6 year olds were able to do it with no problem at all. And the caves are great!

Cave tour was AWESOME! Well worth the hike up. We carried a small pack and a light jacket (which I ended up not needing, although cave was cool). “Mac” was our guide...he did a great job...kept things interesting. Hubby and I got up in 40 minutes...it is steep in parts, but is paved the entire way.

Very hard but so awesome, especially if you do the cave.

The hike and cave tour was fantastic! The trail is completely paved with informational signs and points of interest. The ranger during the tour itself was knowledgeable and interesting. I would not recommend wearing a large backpack as they ask you to place them in front of you during the tour.

Fun trail. I hiked with my two year old in a hiking backpack and was fine. The switchbacks can be intense at time but just take your time and enjoy it. We didn't actually go in the cave but there are plenty of places at the end to sit and enjoy the view from up top.

Beautiful hike up the side of a mountain via a series of switchbacks. It is marked as difficult and I would say that depends on what else you have hiked before. This is a very strenuous hike more so than difficult. There are rock slide sections where you must keep going uphill without stopping. There is ample space to rest before and after though. Some may consider it easy or moderate because the trail is all paved, but you do climb almost 1100ft of elevation gain in 1.5 miles and you are at over 6730ft elevation once you get to the cave. It will be more strenuous for those from lower elevations. There is nothing technical, no steps, just 1.5 miles uphill all the way. For those with bad knees, the trip back down is worse than going up. Pavement is hard on the joints and combine that with the 1100ft elevation change going down. Trekking poles are a must for bad knees! If you go early in the morning, there are locals who walk this trail for fun and exercise. They will whiz by you like it’s no big deal and will likely meet you coming back down shortly after. The ranger warned us not to try to keep pace with anyone wearing a colored tag around their neck. You are given 1.5 hours to hike the trail before your cave tour and it took us about an hour or so. We stopped to enjoy the views because the ranger told us there was no need to rush. We were happy to have a short rest at the top before the cave tour. There are restrooms near the top. We had a 7am start time, 8:30 cave tour, and were back to the visitor center at 11am. We’re from 1500ft elevation and hiked this after a week of being at higher elevations. We normally hike trails that are one mile or less so this was just a little longer for us. We did not have any problems other than the bad knees feeling every step on the way down.

The trail is beautiful! AllTrails map is a little off though. We followed the trail and ended up above the falls, we back tracked and found the turn off which is blocked by a log and the old sign is gone. Probably not a good sign but we went ahead. There is a scramble up a steep slope with exposed tree roots but we made it and it was well worth it!

It's paved, but it's a good grade and the cave is beautiful. I'd leave my backpack behind or in the metal box next time.

Trail is paved the entire way up with periodic benches to take breaks. More of a medium level hike than hard. The cave itself is pretty awesome. Highly recommend doing it at least once.

While this trail isn't easy, it's doable even for those who are out of shape or children! I haven't hiked in years, and have asthma. My son is 8. We made it up just fine, there's quite a bit of shade and a LOT of benches to rest at. The 1.5 hours to make it to the cave entrance was plenty.

NOTE: Requires timed paid entry. Awesome hike and recommend going early in the day—it is hot. Paved but strenuous, at about a 30 degree incline. Interesting educational markers along the way. Cave tour itself was super interesting with unusual formations along the way.

Great hike with a paved path. Very strenuous but doable and rewarding. The hike time assigned at purchase allows you to start the hike and 1.5 hrs is assumed to be the hike time for each member. My friend and I managed to get up in 40 min and caught a spot in the group heading in. Be aware the group limit is 16 people and you may be required to wait to enter until your assigned time. The cave afforded great views of helictite formations and the Heart of the Cave stalactite is truly a jewel. Would recommend reserving a cave ticket ahead of time or cross your fingers and get lucky like we did.

IF YOU WANT TO GO IN TO THE CAVES YOU MUST HAVE A TICKET! The hike up is awesome and paved. You do not need to wear hiking shoes but they are nice for waking down.

went first thing in the morning and weather was perfect! easy to get up the paved trail :)

Excellent morning hike!

Nicely paved and marked trail. Really interesting information plaques. I am not sure if I would mark this as hard. It is a constant uphill but the terrain is easy. The cave tour at the end is super neat. Well worth it!

This was a great family hike! After checking in at the visitors center at our time noted on the tickets, we had about an hour and a half to get up to the cave entrance. Easily enough time even if you aren't in great hiking shape. It is a steady incline most of the way up but nothing crazy. Our 11, 10 and 6 year old daughters hiked it easily. The path is paved and there are a handful of spots to stop and rest if needed or just to look at the view. The cave tour was awesome! It is quite cool inside the caves so bring a light fleece or jacket. If hiking this in the summer, try and start early in the day as it gets quite hot and a lot of the path is exposed to the sun. Overall we loved this one and will do it again some day!