Learn more

Tibble Fork Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Loop

A great way to go see the lake, away from people. I did it early morning, but I think it would be shaded all day.

Can't recommend this one. Hiked 6/7/20 and it was super muddy. I'm talking thick, slick, mud cakes on your boots the whole way. Narrow V shaped trail made the mud impossible to avoid. Sure, there are nice views midway but it just wasn't worth it. Plus this trail is trafficked more by loud gas dirt bikes than hikers.

This was a great trail. There was minimal shade, but occasionally you could enjoy the breeze. I went on this hike with my almost 60 year-old mother and she was able to complete it with minimal trouble. This hike features a well worn trail and amazing views. There were a couple of times when you had to cross a small creek, but otherwise, this was a well traveled, easy to follow trail.

Really good views near the top, but the lake is gross and overtrafficed. once we got about a half mile up we didn't see anyone the remainder of the hike (except for like 4 or 5 dirt bikes). The views were pretty and the meadows were nice, a pretty easy hike good for beginners. I just wish the lake wasn't accessible by car and was less trafficked, but other than that it was worth the hike. super easy to follow. no cell service so download a map. I probably won't do it again, but it was worth it and I will be back to the area to do other hikes nearby.

Really nice views! A little muddy in some spots but you are able to get around those spots easily!

Stunning views!

I notice a lot of people are looking for an official marked trail loop, well this doesn't have signs. It is a new pieced together loop of several trails. The best bet is to pass the trail-head at the lake and head up the dirt road a bit to the Mill Canyon Trail at the bridge crossing the creek. Take this for about a half mile and you come to a turnoff to the right, take the turnoff unless you like steep inclines. This part is all forest and very beautiful, a nice easy trail. Then you get to the actual Tibble Fork Trail, head up, make sure to stop and look back at the views. Eventually you will come to a giant beautiful meadow, just past the meadow back in the trees you come to a fork, the first sharp right fork is Mud Springs Trail, the next right continues on Tibble Fork, both go for several miles and are mostly used by Motorcycles. Take the left up Mud Springs, you will hit the high point of the loop in about 500 feet. From that point you are heading back down the loop and you will run back into Mill Canyon trail which takes you back to the bridge.

Nice trail but as others have pointed out, the trail markings are almost non-existing. The NFS marks trails with numbers not names and their trailhead sign was at best confusing. There is NO internet connection in the canyon or anywhere close so either download the trails to your phone or have a printed chart...

Not a bad trail, it just wasn’t marked well. My friend and I ended up veering off the path somehow and had to backtrack, so we didn’t officially complete the loop. Want to it try again the right way next time.

Uber fun

This trail was beautiful! There was a lot of mud. We encountered a few people. We saw one bicyclist and some dirt bikes.

Trail is in great condition! 5/21/2020

I really enjoyed this hike. Muddy in some parts, but easily passable. Some creek crossings at the beginning but nothing after that. One stretch of no shade, but not too bad. Great views, pretty Aspens, and a nice breeze. I agree that going clockwise would not be fun.Some good inclines, but accurate with the moderate label. Pretty clearly marked trail. Definitely recommend!

Beautiful trail! Muddy in a few spots but overall dry and no snow! Trail is supposed to be closed to everyone but hikers but we had horses, bikes, and dirt bikes that we encountered but the trail was relatively quiet (especially compared to Millcreek or Big Cottonwood) for a Friday. Some gorgeous views and the meadow was perfection. Definitely wouldn’t want to do this loop clockwise, there’s still decent incline going counterclockwise but my knees would have hated going the other way. Definitely will visit this trail again!

My first time doing this loop. I loved it!! Beautiful views of the mountains and meadows. Watch out for some muddy spots as you go.

Trail is in great shape. No snow and a few small areas of mud that are easy to go around. The Aspens are just beginning to leaf out and a few wildflowers have begun peaking out. It is less steep to do the loop counter clockwise, but I don’t think going clockwise is terrible for an average person in good physical shape. You gain about 900-1000 feet in elevation in 2 miles. Then the hike is flat for awhile before you begin to descend in elevation. It is a stunning hike and one of my favorites. I highly recommend it. If you go on a weekday, you might not pass another person. I passed one guy today heading the opposite direction.

recorded Tibble Fork Loop Trail

Going off clockwise it wasn’t too bad or steep. The meadow has a nice view and would probably be pretty great for camping. Some mud in places but no snow which is nice. It’s a good chill hike.

We went a few days ago (weekend of 5-2-20) and it was pretty muddy in spots but spikes not needed. The views from the meadows were great. A bit crowded down by the reservoir but not bad on the trail. A nice moderate hike.

I went counter clockwise, the incline is much easier this way. I didn't hit snow until about 7,000 Feet. I did posthole as the snow melted and much of the trail was a creek but it was all passable and worth it. Going down the Mill Creek side was more snowy and muddy. But lots of flowing water.

icy

This is a very pretty trail! Hardly any steep uphills and lots of tree cover. Great hike if you want some beautiful views of Tibble fork reservoir and go on a shorter and quick hike. Was some snow when I went but was doable with just normal hiking shoes.

Super muddy on south side of trail today. Went up Mill Canyon about a mile before completing the loop. Used snowshoes and spikes.