Tibble Fork Loop Trail

Tibble Fork Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Please note that this trail was rerouted by the park in 2017. A new map has not been posted in the park and the trail is poorly marked. Check in with park ranger upon arrival as the route here might now be slightly different than reflected on map here.

The trail on the back side of Tibble Fork is no longer a nice hike. The old trail is gone or only partly there.

This trail has been taken over by motorcycles and, particularly on the backside, is terribly worn down. It is not a peaceful hike as it is a very constant, steep descent punctuated by motorcycle traffic.

If you start from the dam and hike to the top, it is more peaceful though we were passed by a group of 3 motorcycles. It was a steady ascent but not uncomfortable uncomfortable.

Very Busy Trail, lots of dirt bikes, trail needs to be maintained but it is difficult to do so because the type of dirt. Some parts of the trail are missing, easy to get lost or loose track of the trail. Nice views of the lake

I had the hills to myself. I can see some trail work has been done. A good uphill climb to a gorgeous open meadow. Then a good drop down into the steams feeding into the reservoir.

Hike in early. You'll beat the crowds and only have to share the trail with a few cyclists and dirt bikers.

Beautiful meadow about 1.5 miles up from the counter clockwise route on the west side. I recommend starting there too. Take a book and some snacks if you have some time to spare in the meadow, especially if you go early... so peaceful and beautiful. Loved this hike, even with all the bikers.

HEADS UP....this map is the old trail! We kept getting lost and there were so many break offs on the trail with no signs directing which trail was Tibble Fork.
We talked to a ranger and he helped direct us and let us know the map was wrong. They re did the trail last year and have not put signs up yet for it (so said the ranger).
It was still beautiful, but the trail was frustrating.

Got caught in a hailstorm on this hike!! That's what made it an adventure. We were the only hikers however....MANY dirtbikers on this "trail"...super annoying.

Really pretty hike, but awfully easy to take a wrong turn. :S We started on the west side, and once we got about a half mile up we went left instead of right and ended up on a really pretty forested trail that got us to the same end point. Sorry to the people we passed going the opposite way, because we gave you the directions to the path we took that apparently wasn’t the right trail. It only ended up being a couple miles that way instead of 4. Guess we’ll have to go back to hike the right way sometime.

This trail is beautiful, and well maintained. My puppy loved all the rushing water. Easy, accessible, tons of parking. It has a beach and a nice dock. I would Highly recommend.

We did this trail Saturday, and started on the west side. At the beginning the trails are pretty narrow, but open up the further you go in. There are a few places where they narrow again here and there. A bunch of the trail is shaded. It was pouring rain and there was lots of mud, but that didn’t seem to make the hike any more difficult. We took a wrong turn at the end, but I suspect it is because we missed a sign.

We completed this trail a few days ago and did it in the counter-clockwise direction. After hiking the full loop, I would recommend going that same direction. The first .75-1.0 miles are quite exposed to the sun this time of year but once the aspens fill in, shade will show up quicker in your hike. Be aware that the trailhead is at the dam level, not below it.

The trail started off with switchbacks which were quite manageable. After about a mile, the aspens show up and then you quickly transition into pine and spruce. You will then pass through serene meadows that make you want to stay a long while - do so if you have the time.

Roughly half-way, there is the only signed intersection. Continue through in an arc to your left. It's mostly downhill from this point and gets quite steep. You will still be under plenty of shade and will eventually cross the creek where you should keep to the left to avoid getting your feet soaked. The trail exit at the east end of the reservoir where you can decide to continue the hike on its south side in the trees or continue around to the north and go along the road.

The trail seems appropriately rated at moderate and will treat you to quiet, serene moments along with beautiful mountain views.

Did this yesterday, and was impressed by how few people I could see or hear after the first half mile in, all the way until we got to about the final half mile. The trail is quite narrow for the first 1/3, but becomes more comfortable after that. Lots of trees, so it's moderately shady through most of the hike. I brought a (tree-friendly) hammock in my day pack, and it was so peaceful that my girlfriend and I were able to to take a nice afternoon nap in a meadow.

Did this loop on Sunday and it was great. There are several other loops in the area that we explored on the way down and turned it from a 4 mike hike into a 6+ mile hike.

Great trail and a perfect day for hiking but it isn’t marked at all and we ended up taking a wrong turn which took us up a different mountain. We started on the west side. Next time I’ll take the east side and see how that goes.

It was ok, it felt like every 15 feet I was walking into someone posing with a photographer friend. So many people doing portraits literally everywhere. It was difficult not to get in peoples photographs and I kept having to repeatedly stop and wait for strangers to finish their portraits. There were even girls taking portraits in the middle of the main road walking the yellow line holding hands. They almost got hit by cars going both ways and then laughed about it. Such a weird experience.

The first 1/2 to 3/4 mile of the trail, beginning on the west side, was very muddy. It made the trail slippery. After that, the trail was packed snow and very beautiful. Highly recommend micro spikes.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trail is closed off after 1/2 mile as of 8/27/17

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Left side of the loop was closed but still made it to the meadow, it was beautiful. My dog loved it too.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Good trail but lots of dirt bikes making it loud and smelly. Beautiful trail by the reservoir. Easy to miss the trail head so watch for it before the lake.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Dirt bikes have turned much of the trail to dusty, loose sand. Still incredible trail. Went a little further up to get the best views.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

We only went on the trail surrounding the reservoir and not the full loop. The hike was beautiful but the trail was washed out in a few areas making it pretty difficult to get by. I wouldn't recommend this for kids.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Really great hike. We ended up taking a wrong turn and went way up into the mountain which has gorgeous views, but the hike went from 4 miles to 8 miles. We are glad we did though. Lots of paths to take, watch out for horses, bikes, and motorbikes.

It was a little muddy and had some water on the trail, but it was a beautiful day with great temperatures!

Friday, June 30, 2017

Tibble lake was so pretty. we went the end of June and the water was freezing. Would recommend bringing a canoe or a paddle board cause swimming is not really an option.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Excellent hike. must do

Monday, June 19, 2017

Definitely a great hike. River was flowing through the trail, so bring water shoes for the first little bit. Steep and rocky incline, but do able. We had our little dog and 3 kids with us. Watch out for motorcycles, as there was quite a few. Definitely on the more moderate side then easy.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Pleasant and easy. The river is still running pretty high on the northern side of the trail (either the start or the end depending on your direction). Luckily that was near the end. Big markdowns for the number of motocross on the trail. Also, a healthy amount of people near the trailhead, though the trail itself was mostly quiet.

Monday, May 29, 2017

fun hike. kind of tough at spots with a 4 year old but we made it through. about 2.5 hours with little kids.

Monday, May 29, 2017

The beginning is gnarly and steep and in the direct sun but after the initial ascent it's shady and beautiful and mild overall. The end is a bit washed out by the river right now just before the bridge so following the trail got a bit confusing. I didn't love having to walk on the busy road to get back to the start/where I parked. Definitely would recommend using a gps for first timers it helped me a lot since there are a lot of different routes and forks. But me and my doggo loved it, would recommend!

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Beautiful trail. Dense forest. Be ready for it. GPS , snacks.