Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places. Zion National Park has a shuttle system that operates in a loop and brings guests between the visitor center and various stops along the way. For a map, please visit Zion National Park's website.

Decent trail, paved the whole time but you’re able to get closer to the river if you want. Zion is beautiful anywhere you go in the park, but I would not list this as one of my favorite hikes.

GoPro Lost in river. In blue aluminum case with selfie stick.
Please call or text 253-224-6898

Wet and rocky with magnificent views. Best thing ever, RENT THE WATER SHOES AND SOCKS, if you dont have any get them at the outfitter. With these you will go farther, cushion your feet and keep them warmer. Starts with a mile hike on land from the trailhead. swap to the water shoes and just start pushing. Full sun at times and full shade at others. Was 108 when I went but was not that noticable in the narrows. Every turn brings more fantastic views. Bring a dry bag or don't fall over. The river bottom is covered in rocks like softballs. You need poles. The farther you go the more the reward. Kids love this. A must do in Zion.

This trail is beyond beautiful, but is heavily trafficked. I hiked the narrows in the peak of the summer when the temperature was 115 degrees Fahrenheit and there were many people visiting the park. The cold water in the narrows made the hike enjoyable and refreshing. I began walking along the river trail in the morning. It was so crowded, I could barely enjoy the scenery. When I started hiking up the Narrows, I was wading through crowds. The good news is that the further up the narrows you hike, the less populated the trail becomes. Bring a lot of water, pack a lunch, and hike a few miles up the narrows to find a quieter and less-trafficked setting. Once you pass the majority of the crowds, you will get unobstructed views of the canyon and will realize why this trail is so popular. It is like nothing I have ever hiked before and I would recommend this to everyone who visits Zion National Park. Closed-toed water shoes and trekking poles are not absolutely necessary, but are helpful. Bring a jacket (even in the hottest summer months) because the water can get cold.

Was cold this morning, warming up by 2 pm. Dry suits a must. $45 rental from outfitters. Fairly busy by late morning.

A fun and flat walk along the river across trail and the paved path. You are surrounded by beautiful cliffs of color. There were a few waterfalls to see.

Beautiful hike along the riverwalk trail. Park said the narrows were closed, so we weren’t prepared with gear to hike in, but saw tons of people outfitted to do it. Bummer for us. Next time! Really enjoyed the riverwalk though. Highly recommend.

This was another absolutely amazing hike. Easy and flat! Make sure you go all the way to the end. Then, look Up! I wish I didn't wait 58 years to be here!

We could not do the narrows because the water was too harsh, but this was an acceptable alternative. Very easy stroll, nice views. Less than 1 hour.

Nice easy walk. Pretty scenery if you don’t have time to go for an actual hike.
Take water shoes, you will want to go in the water

Need to come back with a dry suit. To much ice on trail. Still beautiful walk in the riverside.

Used crampons, tons of snow. Gorgeous views. It was snowing the whole time.

Amazing trail along side the river. It was snowy and icy so I definitely recommend crampons. It was an easy trail, though, the beginning half is ADA accessible. To us, it was more of a scenic stroll than a hike - beautiful, nonetheless

Did the trail up to the river, didn't do the whole river walk. Hands down the biggest regret of my trip to Zion, next time bringing or renting gear for it. Still the path walk was very easy yet rewarding. Anyone else notice a rock formation that looks like a giant nose? River cutting through the red/orange rock is gorgeous.

This can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be. The faster you go the harder it gets towards the end but in general it’s an easy steady hike. Lots of treading through water on sand and all kinds of rocks. Absolutely gorgeous at every minute. Buy the rental gear people! Ran into multiple groups who didn’t bother to get the shoes, pants, or walking stick and they all regretted it. Can’t wait to do this again next time we are in Zion.

AWESOME! We did this in August 2018. Views are amazing!! Use a walking stick or two. I rolled my ankle about 5 weeks before the hike and was still able to do it. I did not have a walking stick but had to use my friends walking stick once in awhile which was super helpful. We wore keen sandals but next time will wear a good hiking boot. Hike at least an hour up the river and leave the masses behind. Incredible! Can't wait to go back and do it again!!

I was kinda disappointed, but that’s because my expectations were too high I think. I didn’t have the time or gear to get in the river for the actual Narrows part, but I thought the riverside walk would still be in a narrow canyon of sorts. Still gorgeous scenery. Icy path.

Very easy walk. Beautiful Canyon views!

I loved this hike, we where there first part of November. The deepest part of the Narrows was just above the knee. We had rented the water gear at Zion Adventures. The water temp was 42 degrees and we where not cold at all, feet were wet the whole time, kinda felt like you had jello in your shoes! We hiked about 5 hours up and back. I will definitely do this hike again!!! The scenery was spectacular.

Aweosme hike. Brought the entire family along-deer in the stream-waterfalls-scenic spots-everything is surreal here!

I did this hike in late September. Weather was 90 degrees, but the water was 62 degrees, and cold. The Narrows path is a paved trail along the river that ends at the entrance into the Narrows canyon. I would strongly suggest renting the neoprene socks and hiking shoes in town, along with a hiking stick. Your hike will be much more enjoyable if your feet aren't freezing cold (we didn't and wished we did). Stick definitely helps with your balance. Don't underestimate things in hiking up this river. The Narrows hike up the canyon is an incredible hike and unlike anything I have ever done before. The scenery and environment is spectacular and a MUST do at Zion. The place is very crowded, which is a draw back. But is it still worth it.

Hiked up the narrows. Rented gear to keep our feet warm and bodies dry. Did the hike with 4 kids ages 9-13 and 2 adults. Everyone loved it. Despite it being December and snowing lightly for part of the trip, we were warm as long as we kept moving. Wall Street was amazing and also hiked the other way towards veiled falls. Quieter going this way and equally wonderful! Steady traffic in and out but you also had moments where it was just your group.

Always a great hike with great views.

The River Walk is just beautiful & peaceful. Easy walk. With water.

3 bc this is just for the river walk, but 5 for the narrows. Bottom-Up isn’t an option to review on this app. A previous trip I did the river walk bc my friend wasn’t a big hiker plus the conditions borderline that time of year. The paved HC accessible route just not for me and wasn’t at all a good impression of what Zion has to offer. The longer harder hikes are a game changer for those capable and willing to work a little. Anyways this was one of 7 back to backI hikes I did in a 6 day period between Bryce and Zion. I rented gear and at this time of year there’s not a crowd in the river (and Subway permit odds extremely high if you do a two day gear rental). A few times you have no option but to be waist deep so the full drysuit was reassuring even though many times I was too warm. Walking stick very helpful to test depth and determine direction of walking or at times when the extra sturdiness helpful bc of the current.

Paved path with lots of areas to walk down to the river. We went Dec 12th and it wasn't too crowded. Great way to see the beginning of the narrows and looking up all you see is canyon walls. There was also dirt paths by the river you could walk but you do have to come up to the paved path at some points. We also saw the dipper bird! Very beautiful and peaceful hike, easy and wheelchair assable.

Most exhilarating hike ever!