The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and canoeing and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

canoeing

beach

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places.

1 hour ago

Super crowded when we went and the current was a little strong due to recent rain. Would've been amazing on a different day I'm sure!

I did this back in May 2013. This was my first water hike and I loved every minute of it. I brought hiking poles but found that they were more cumbersome than helpful when trying to navigate slippery rocks in shin-deep water. Wearing high quality water shoes with nice tread is a must. Bathing suit bottoms under your hiking shorts is also a must. As is the use of dry bags. There is one section where you must repel down some rocks. I was with a group of people who brought ropes and harnesses, so I'm unsure whether there was already a rope provided that just stays anchored in. In May, the water was cold but not unbearable. After hiking all day in it, I didn't feel like a popsicle. Some areas are more narrow than others, such that you can almost touch the slot canyon walls on either side of you. The deepest the water gets is about waist deep, not counting a couple sections where you have to swim (I pushed my backpack ahead of me while swimming. It was a regular backpack but it managed to float well and stay dry to my surprise). In these sections are great places to cliff jump, but beware of the bats! There are sand bars and rocky outcroppings along way, so it's not too hard to find places to dry off and eat a lunch.

Beautiful hike with our kids! I would say this was our favorite.

Amazing views and fun took off on a side canyon that was awesome climbed up a few small waterfalls. Did I his with my hubby and adult children 18, 21,26. Had a great time. Very rocky. Rent some shoes.

We walked the Narrows until Wallstreet. Fell 3 times. Loved every moment. Perfect day!

Great hike. Will be back to do the Narrows hike.

Great hike. Will be back to do the Narrows hike.