The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

beach

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places.

Some of the rock tracking in the water is awkward and there is a lot of it, it is worth it. Crazy crowded at the start as we were in a heatwave and this hike will keep you cool so totally understandable. After the first waist high crossing the crowd lessened by half and we continued to the Canyon split and went right another 15 minutes for a high rock vista lunch just outside the darker slot Canyon area. A nice 4 hourish up and back hike for a 100+ degree day.

Beautiful! Hiking in the water through the narrow canyon was amazing. Teen kids loved it, too. Rented water socks/shoes and walking stick. Can't imagine going without the walking stick. Glad we packed lots of liquids and snacks. Would love to go back when we have time to go farther!

This hike is paved and has plenty of trees for shade. If you hike past the end of the trail it's through chilly water up to waist high in some places. Wear cheap tennis shoes. The terrain is mostly river rock.

A blast.

Beautiful trail. Loved it better than angels landing. Proper equipment is a must!

Crowded pavement walk to Narrows, but walking knee deep through river was a unique experience. Make sure you don't twist an ankle on round river rocks

Beautiful, but beyond crowded.

This walk leads to the Narrows hike and is paved. The hanging gardens are pretty and I spotted wild turkeys and mule deer along the trail. The squirrels are not afraid of humans which was unsettling. Lots of spots for river access, would recommend.

Easy falt hike. Nice and shady.

One of my new favorites, definatly a must at Zion's.

Probably my favorite trail I have ever done. So gorgeous! We went at the beginning of June. I was very nervous about how cold the water was and what I would need to feel warm. It hit 100 degrees that day so the water was refreshing (in the 50's). I recommend getting the shoes and neoprene socks from the "Zion Outfitter" store right outside the park. It cost $25 and was worth it to me. The shoes have a non slip grip made for hiking in the water on the slippery rocks. My husband did not get them and wore hiking shoes with high socks and was fine too. I get colder so the neoprene socks were probably the best investment I made for the hike. They do give you one hiking pole however we each have two of our own we used. I recommend two if possible because it really helps with balance as you are walking against the current. I wore a tank and shorts that were material that dried fast. I also put clothes in a waterproof bag and never needed them. I do recommend putting food in a waterproof bag. I brought sandals to change into before getting on the bus. I was much more comfortable. I would do this hike again in a heartbeat!