The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places. Zion National Park has a shuttle system that operates in a loop and brings guests between the visitor center and various stops along the way. For a map, please visit Zion National Park's website.

Used crampons, tons of snow. Gorgeous views. It was snowing the whole time.

Did the trail up to the river, didn't do the whole river walk. Hands down the biggest regret of my trip to Zion, next time bringing or renting gear for it. Still the path walk was very easy yet rewarding. Anyone else notice a rock formation that looks like a giant nose? River cutting through the red/orange rock is gorgeous.

This can be as easy or as challenging as you want it to be. The faster you go the harder it gets towards the end but in general it’s an easy steady hike. Lots of treading through water on sand and all kinds of rocks. Absolutely gorgeous at every minute. Buy the rental gear people! Ran into multiple groups who didn’t bother to get the shoes, pants, or walking stick and they all regretted it. Can’t wait to do this again next time we are in Zion.

AWESOME! We did this in August 2018. Views are amazing!! Use a walking stick or two. I rolled my ankle about 5 weeks before the hike and was still able to do it. I did not have a walking stick but had to use my friends walking stick once in awhile which was super helpful. We wore keen sandals but next time will wear a good hiking boot. Hike at least an hour up the river and leave the masses behind. Incredible! Can't wait to go back and do it again!!

I was kinda disappointed, but that’s because my expectations were too high I think. I didn’t have the time or gear to get in the river for the actual Narrows part, but I thought the riverside walk would still be in a narrow canyon of sorts. Still gorgeous scenery. Icy path.

Very easy walk. Beautiful Canyon views!

I loved this hike, we where there first part of November. The deepest part of the Narrows was just above the knee. We had rented the water gear at Zion Adventures. The water temp was 42 degrees and we where not cold at all, feet were wet the whole time, kinda felt like you had jello in your shoes! We hiked about 5 hours up and back. I will definitely do this hike again!!! The scenery was spectacular.

Aweosme hike. Brought the entire family along-deer in the stream-waterfalls-scenic spots-everything is surreal here!

I did this hike in late September. Weather was 90 degrees, but the water was 62 degrees, and cold. The Narrows path is a paved trail along the river that ends at the entrance into the Narrows canyon. I would strongly suggest renting the neoprene socks and hiking shoes in town, along with a hiking stick. Your hike will be much more enjoyable if your feet aren't freezing cold (we didn't and wished we did). Stick definitely helps with your balance. Don't underestimate things in hiking up this river. The Narrows hike up the canyon is an incredible hike and unlike anything I have ever done before. The scenery and environment is spectacular and a MUST do at Zion. The place is very crowded, which is a draw back. But is it still worth it.

Hiked up the narrows. Rented gear to keep our feet warm and bodies dry. Did the hike with 4 kids ages 9-13 and 2 adults. Everyone loved it. Despite it being December and snowing lightly for part of the trip, we were warm as long as we kept moving. Wall Street was amazing and also hiked the other way towards veiled falls. Quieter going this way and equally wonderful! Steady traffic in and out but you also had moments where it was just your group.

Always a great hike with great views.

The River Walk is just beautiful & peaceful. Easy walk. With water.

3 bc this is just for the river walk, but 5 for the narrows. Bottom-Up isn’t an option to review on this app. A previous trip I did the river walk bc my friend wasn’t a big hiker plus the conditions borderline that time of year. The paved HC accessible route just not for me and wasn’t at all a good impression of what Zion has to offer. The longer harder hikes are a game changer for those capable and willing to work a little. Anyways this was one of 7 back to backI hikes I did in a 6 day period between Bryce and Zion. I rented gear and at this time of year there’s not a crowd in the river (and Subway permit odds extremely high if you do a two day gear rental). A few times you have no option but to be waist deep so the full drysuit was reassuring even though many times I was too warm. Walking stick very helpful to test depth and determine direction of walking or at times when the extra sturdiness helpful bc of the current.

Paved path with lots of areas to walk down to the river. We went Dec 12th and it wasn't too crowded. Great way to see the beginning of the narrows and looking up all you see is canyon walls. There was also dirt paths by the river you could walk but you do have to come up to the paved path at some points. We also saw the dipper bird! Very beautiful and peaceful hike, easy and wheelchair assable.

Most exhilarating hike ever!

beautiful hike, way too crowded though. Very easy, and paved. Watch out for the squirrels. They make it impossible to stop for a snack :-)

Nice short walk along the river. Accessible for wheelchairs as fully pathed. Is very heavily trafficked. If want to go far into the narrows you can hire waterproof boot and trousers from the visitor centre for the next day.

Perfect hike for kids and older parents. crowded though so go earlier in day rather than later.

Perfect easy hike to get a taste of Zion. Very crowded though.

this is the hike that gives you want zion is all about. canyons and water. next time I would not rent gear. but yes for the colder people. yes it's fun,scenic.

Short hike with a great view. Worth the effort.

Snagged a wilderness permit and we did the 16 miles down... sleeping overnight at campsite 10. Was amazing!!

Boring. Easy.

Cool and nice. Water is very urgent and fast. Fell down a couple times.

This is a unique hike. It is beautiful and worth the hike. I would definitely recommend the shoes pants and walking sticks.