The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places. Zion National Park has a shuttle system that operates in a loop and brings guests between the visitor center and various stops along the way. For a map, please visit Zion National Park's website.

I loved this hike, we where there first part of November. The deepest part of the Narrows was just above the knee. We had rented the water gear at Zion Adventures. The water temp was 42 degrees and we where not cold at all, feet were wet the whole time, kinda felt like you had jello in your shoes! We hiked about 5 hours up and back. I will definitely do this hike again!!! The scenery was spectacular.

Aweosme hike. Brought the entire family along-deer in the stream-waterfalls-scenic spots-everything is surreal here!

I did this hike in late September. Weather was 90 degrees, but the water was 62 degrees, and cold. The Narrows path is a paved trail along the river that ends at the entrance into the Narrows canyon. I would strongly suggest renting the neoprene socks and hiking shoes in town, along with a hiking stick. Your hike will be much more enjoyable if your feet aren't freezing cold (we didn't and wished we did). Stick definitely helps with your balance. Don't underestimate things in hiking up this river. The Narrows hike up the canyon is an incredible hike and unlike anything I have ever done before. The scenery and environment is spectacular and a MUST do at Zion. The place is very crowded, which is a draw back. But is it still worth it.

Hiked up the narrows. Rented gear to keep our feet warm and bodies dry. Did the hike with 4 kids ages 9-13 and 2 adults. Everyone loved it. Despite it being December and snowing lightly for part of the trip, we were warm as long as we kept moving. Wall Street was amazing and also hiked the other way towards veiled falls. Quieter going this way and equally wonderful! Steady traffic in and out but you also had moments where it was just your group.

Always a great hike with great views.

The River Walk is just beautiful & peaceful. Easy walk. With water.

3 bc this is just for the river walk, but 5 for the narrows. Bottom-Up isn’t an option to review on this app. A previous trip I did the river walk bc my friend wasn’t a big hiker plus the conditions borderline that time of year. The paved HC accessible route just not for me and wasn’t at all a good impression of what Zion has to offer. The longer harder hikes are a game changer for those capable and willing to work a little. Anyways this was one of 7 back to backI hikes I did in a 6 day period between Bryce and Zion. I rented gear and at this time of year there’s not a crowd in the river (and Subway permit odds extremely high if you do a two day gear rental). A few times you have no option but to be waist deep so the full drysuit was reassuring even though many times I was too warm. Walking stick very helpful to test depth and determine direction of walking or at times when the extra sturdiness helpful bc of the current.

Paved path with lots of areas to walk down to the river. We went Dec 12th and it wasn't too crowded. Great way to see the beginning of the narrows and looking up all you see is canyon walls. There was also dirt paths by the river you could walk but you do have to come up to the paved path at some points. We also saw the dipper bird! Very beautiful and peaceful hike, easy and wheelchair assable.

Most exhilarating hike ever!

beautiful hike, way too crowded though. Very easy, and paved. Watch out for the squirrels. They make it impossible to stop for a snack :-)

Nice short walk along the river. Accessible for wheelchairs as fully pathed. Is very heavily trafficked. If want to go far into the narrows you can hire waterproof boot and trousers from the visitor centre for the next day.

Perfect hike for kids and older parents. crowded though so go earlier in day rather than later.

Perfect easy hike to get a taste of Zion. Very crowded though.

this is the hike that gives you want zion is all about. canyons and water. next time I would not rent gear. but yes for the colder people. yes it's fun,scenic.

Short hike with a great view. Worth the effort.

Snagged a wilderness permit and we did the 16 miles down... sleeping overnight at campsite 10. Was amazing!!

Boring. Easy.

Cool and nice. Water is very urgent and fast. Fell down a couple times.

This is a unique hike. It is beautiful and worth the hike. I would definitely recommend the shoes pants and walking sticks.

The title of this hike is just for the paved walk before entering the canyon to wade through the river. This part is easy. Obviously the hike gets harder once you are wading through shin deep water which sometimes reaches waist deep or more depending on how far you go. In the fall for sure, I recommend renting shoes, socks, pants, and a hiking pole from an outfitter in Springdale as the water is cold and there is little sun. Anyone bothering to wade through the river should make it to wall street. It is the best portion of the canyon. It is not signed, so get a pamphlet from the outfitter. Access is via Zion's 40 minute shuttle bus ride. Parking is limited at the visitor center. Go early to avoid crowds and to be able to see where you are walking in the river. For more details and pics and how to do this hike, visit https://etbtravelphotography.com/2018/10/21/hikes-near-kanab-utah/

I just did this one on 10/16. So glad the ranger recommended to go to one of the outfitters in town. We rented the dry pants, boots, a dry sack for out bags, and a pole, very worth it. The water was freezing and it can be very slippery and easy to roll an ankle if you don't have the proper footwear, the stick really helped to catch my balance a few times. The pant helped keep my pants underneath completely dry and warm too. The water was pretty much ankle to waist deep, I'm 5'8". there are also dry areas that you can walk in too to take a break from the water. We made it all the way up to the end of Wall Street, Wish I new the mileage to each point.

I guess my one mistake was I didn’t rent any equipment...the water was cold probably in the lower 50s. I couldn’t wait to get out of the water. The rocks have lots of algae on them making them slippery poles would have been helpful. The view was wonderful however.

It was raining and the water was about 38 degrees, but it was worth every moment of it. Make sure to have water shoes and hiking pole because the current can get a little rough when it rains. Also, pack lunch and extra clothes in a water bag.

Second time here to the narrows and just as beautiful as ever! Make sure you wear the right shoes though and preferably have hiking poles; we passed quite a few people trying to attempt this barefoot with no poles or anything and they looked like they were having a horrible time. It’s worth it to come prepared! :)

Nice paved path to get you to the start of the water. Watch your step in the water and you should be good, take your time, it’s crowded, always!

8/14/17

Favorite hike and national park!

very easy trail for a relaxing walk by the river. beautiful landscape.