The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk

The Zion Narrows Riverside Walk is a 1.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

wheelchair friendly

beach

Walk through the water between high canyon walls as a nice way to cool off in Zion National Park. The Riverside Walk Trail is a relatively flat, easy paved out and back trail located at the end of the Zion Canyon Scenic Drive that travels alongside the Virgin River to the mouth of the Narrows. There are water filling stations at the trail head where the shuttle buses drop off as well as restrooms. There are sandy areas near the end near the entrance to the Narrows where you can cool your feet in the cool waters. Go as far as you like up the river but step carefully, as the water can get chest high in some places. Zion National Park has a shuttle system that operates in a loop and brings guests between the visitor center and various stops along the way. For a map, please visit Zion National Park's website.

4 minutes ago

Nice path leading to the Narrows. We hiked in the water about 2 miles and then turned back.

Did this after Angels Landing. Went about half mile up the River into the Narrows. The water never got much over knees. Saw Mitt Romney Hiking with family.

Can’t beat the views or the experience! You can make this as long a hike as you want. We went through the narrows and stopped and had lunch on the banks. Definitely rent the boots, socks, and walking stick. Saw a lot of people take an unexpected plunge! It’s a must do (if weather permits) at Zion!

Great hike! Definitely rent the special water hiking boots they rent around town because they somehow, magically, keep you very secure on the wet rocks. It's like they have suction cups on the bottom or something, though I don't think that's the secret. They also keep your feet warm in the very cold water. This hike is as hard as you want it to be, and we hiked much farther than 2 miles. I think it's 16 if you go from the top down, which I would love to try some day. Fewer people that way, I'm sure, though I never mind sharing my hike with other people.

Breathtaking. Took the 6am bus from the Visitors Center and had the canyon to ourselves. Would recommend trekking poles for balance and high quality closed toe water shoes.

It’s like walking on wet bowling balls. Get good hiking shoes and enjoy the cool canyons air.

Crowded, paved, flat. Not much of a workout but beautiful.

Such an awesome hike. When I went it flash flooded the night before so super murky. Made it more difficult to walk through the water.

Pretty cool experience and different from anything else I’ve ever done! The only reason I gave it 4 stars is the crowds!! I’ve heard going early is the way to beat them. We probably got started around 10 and by that point it was already insane. I hiked about 10 miles round trip and did it in my chacos. Several people had gotten the fancy water shoes from the visitor center. While the water wasn’t that cold, I would suggest them if you worry about balance/ankle support. I didn’t always feel so confident in my chacos and had a couple close calls. Definitely must do once for the experience.

This is a very popular area for a lot of people. If you hike top down you know you are almost done just by how busy it gets. This hike gives you a very small glimpse of what the whole narrows section really is. A lot of people tell me how much they love the narrows but only see this 1 or 2 miles of it. The best can only be seen if you hike top down, or hike way farther than what you are supposed to on this hike. Top down Narrows is best hike in Zion and probably Utah. This is just a small small taste.

My all time favorite hike just the scenery lost track of time and was out there with my brother and cousins it was 9 at night no light but our phones and only the stars over the narrows walls to guide us out most memorable moments in my life and then hit “Casa de Amigos” after...

Just did this hike with my husband and two daughters (9&4). I was a little worried before we got there because i had read it was a difficult hike once in the river. Both my kids did great and had the best time! The views are incredible!! I would say this was easy-moderate in difficulty. There were some small sections where he current was going pretty good and since you are walking against it you really had to pay attention to where you were stepping etc. My husband walked with our 4 year old most of the time through these areas where the current was stronger. Otherwise she did pretty good on her own. Definitely will go back again! We did rent the walking sticks in Springdale. We wore our own shoes though. My husband and 9yr old wore older sneakers and my 4yr old and I both wore a hiking type sandal, which I thought was great! We all had no issues with our shoes.

Nice, easy trail that leads to the beginning of the Narrows.

I highly recommend this hike. We rented the neoprene socks, boots and walking sticks the evening prior to the hike. They were very useful. Get an early start because it can get very crowded. The shuttles begin running at 7:10 and it takes 40 minutes to reach the hike. The shuttle will be full but don’t let that worry you. Most of the people were going to hike Angels Landing. Layer your clothing. The canyon can be cool early in the morning.

Such a fun trail/walk! Amazing views, beautifully flowing river your walking through, cool breeze, and in the afternoon the sun warms you from the chilly water. An absolute MUST!

My kids (16& 14) and I did this hike on 6/5/18. it was AMAZING and the scenery was BEAUTIFUL! I do recommend to renting the hiking boots, water socks and walking stick. You will br walking up the Virgin River against the current and a lot of rocks.

excellent hike.just completed with a 14 y/o & 10 y/o

today was 100 at Zion. This was the perfect trail to start at 11 and carry me into the afternoon. I didn't want it to end and kept going and going probably 3-4 miles past the end of the trail. The problem was I was wearing these old beach shoes that have been sitting in my garage since 2012. They were already brittle and worn out and the insole was holey. Needless to say by the time I thought, "I've gone pretty far," the right shoe broke. A couple miles down the left one broke. Instead of putting on my nikes which were in my bag, I did the last mile and a half barefoot. Today was a day of challenges. And pain. my feet hate me

Nice easy hike on a path up to the narrows. You can also hike off the cement path up the side of the river if you want something different. It gets very crowded. Nice views along the way.

Do I need to schedule or permits for this? Thank you

Early morning was cool and comfortable. Only hiked a short way through the water because my 78 year old mom doesn’t have the best balance, but we enjoyed the section we did. Sturdy shoes, trekking pole and early start make this gorgeous and challenging path a terrific experience.

It was such a great hike. We were there for my boyfriend’s birthday and it was a great Saturday afternoon. I recommend brings a walking stick for stability and extra socks for after the hike. It was nice to have warm feet after being in the water for several hours.

Recommend starting LATE on this hike. We began at 5:15pm when the hoards were coming out of the canyon. After a mile most of the crowds are gone. We made it all the way to Orderville Canyon and even farther. At around 7pm the light in the canyons is absolutely magical and fantastic for photography. Last shuttle out in the summer is 9:15pm so no worries about a late hike. Water temp was about 68 degrees and comfortable the whole way with air temp around 90. You MUST bring trekking poles unless you enjoy twisted ankles on slippery rocks. Water depth never got above mid thigh.

Beautiful hike! The path can be slippery and deep sometimes but overall pretty easy once you get used to it. Starting early to avoid the crowd is a good idea, by the time we were on our way back (11ish) there were people everywhere. Having trekking poles was useful, and wearing neoprene socks would have been a must! We made it to the fork where the canyon splits (maybe 2hours in?), and went down both sides for a little before heading back. Absolutely gorgeous.

Worth all the hype! Got my 9 and 11 year olds up and to the visitor center shuttle by 5:45am. We were on the second shuttle in. By 7:00am we were at the start of the river portion. Not many people, nice and cool.. we hiked the river for an hour, took a snack break and headed back. But the time we were back to shuttle stop #9 it was almost 10:00am and the people were pouring in!! It was amazing and I'd do it again. So many people race the hike to the river which is sad because the riverside walk is so beautiful. Try to stop often and look around.... especially look UP! We saw deer, squirrels and lots of birds. A lifetime meomory... enjoy!
83 Day US Tour.. this was day 36
www.ourclassceelife.com

I expected more...we walked in for one hour and then back. They are some good spots for photos.but its not a strenous hike.There a lot of hikes in Zion who are much better. When you do several hike a day you can do this to start and go then for example to angels landing.much better!

Did this hike early afternoon after doing Angels Landing in the morning. Great to cool off in the river but very crowded. Well worth the amazing views around every corner. Once you make it to the fork in the canyon it becomes less crowded as most people turn around here. Made it about 4 miles before we turned around. Will definitely return and go farther one day!

What a blast!!! A must do if you are visiting Zion. I would suggest catching the first shuttle at 6 a.m. to avoid long waits and crowds. However, you will want to be at the shuttle station at 5:30 because by 5:45 the line was enough to fill the entire shuttle. There were only few groups on the hike up the river when we started in the morning but when we hiked down on the return trip it looked like a population explosion. Also, we used our own hiking boots and socks and were perfectly fine (although it took a couple days to dry). Also, I would strongly suggest using two poles (with rubber tips) for balance when hiking in the river. Much of rocks in the river are 6" to 18" in diameter and can be a slight challenge to navigate. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Great scenic walk on the trail and beyond the trail as we walked up river in the narrows. My wife and I went about 2 miles in and had a blast enjoying the river and the amazing scenery. Only negative was 1+ hour wait to board the shuttle at the Visitor Center to get transported to the hike area.

My review for this trail is start early early morning. The crowds are thick and make it in unenjoyable later in the day. It was by far the most stunning hike I ever done. Around every corner I was awe struck by the natural beauty of this area!!!! It’s breathtaking!