The "Y" Mountain Trail

The "Y" Mountain Trail is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, downhill skiing, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,106 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Some difficult inclines but nothing too extreme. Be prepared for the weather.

Family decided to make this our very 1st trail we hiked. Was difficult but we managed. Breathtaking view at the top.

911!

Night hike with Mikayla

Beautiful hike. Great opportunity if you want to go beyond “hiking the Y.” I would plan on a 3.5-5 hour round trip and 80+oz of water per individual. There are no water features to filter from, so plan accordingly. The top was an excellent spot to enjoy a snack and look over all of Utah valley. If you love nature, it’s safe to assume you’ll love this hike.

This hike is a workout!

Enjoyed this trail and the views at the top. Some fairly tough uphill sections, but very doable. The last mile felt like the hardest. Go earlier in the day to beat the heat and crowds.

Thoroughly enjoyed this hike!! Great views from the top and trail goes through a nice canyon. Steady uphill all the way. Hard on the knees coming down. Do it!!

Great views. Go Cougars!

Great hike. Challenging at moments but doable. Recommended to leave early morning as there isn’t much shade during the hike once sun comes out, fewer people on the trail also (especially during holidays). 2L of water is good. Saw some deer on the trail and got beautiful pics of The Valley.

Overgrown a bit like usual. Some stinging nettle one the way. But overall in good condition. Hiked with 9 year old who did great.

Completed it twice now I rather find a day when not so crowded

nice run, good family hike. very well groomed trail. exceptional views of the Utah Valley area.

Made it once to say I did it, nothing special.

Once you get past the Y it’s an amazing hike. Last mile is decently steep.

Awesome! Great views of Provo and the BYU campus, Provo Peak / Canyon and the surrounding wilderness! Steep!

We started at the trailhead at 11:30am. It was hot, with direct sun most of the way. Like others, my watch logged the hike more than 7 miles. We reached the top about 2pm, stayed for 30 minutes and were back to the parking lot by 3:30. We are not experienced hikers and had an 11 year old with us. Our legs were pretty noodly when we finished.

Good workout. Took us 5 hours... we took several stops along the way. Beautiful view. Tons of overgrowth that hits your legs, so wear long pants if you’re sensitive to that. Lots of bees and butterflies. We started at 6am and I wouldn’t have done it any later... we had shade the WHOLE way up and most of the way back down (the sun hit us the whole time we went down the “Y” portion at the end of the hike). Great hike overall!

Great hike. There are some stinging nettles in the upper Meadows, so watch out. Incredible views!

There are some steep portions, especially on the Y trail (first 1/3 of the ascent), but not what an experienced hiker would find difficult. This should be rated as moderate. Beautiful views, especially this year due to all the rain we've had. Well worth it.

Started out early which I recommend if it’s a hot day. Beautiful view. So green and lush.

Better in the evening, but it was still very hot. There isn’t a ton of shade and has very steep inclines for majority of the hike. The view at the top is very cool. Great hike if you are alone or for a date.

Switchbacks. Steep inclines. The. Whole. Entire. Hike. Really great view and a good workout especially when you have kids on your backs. Not the most fun but so glad we did it!

I left at 7:30pm and topped out around 9:15pm. Kinda grueling as I was pushing hard to maximize day light. I returned to my car at around 10:15. Getting back in the dark was kinda spooky as I hiked alone but I had a flashlight so it was fine. No snow at this time of year of course. This would be a cool place to do a little over night trip and camp at the top in the meadow right at the top. The coolest thing I thought was how you literally look down on squaw peak to the north which hike in my opinion is about just as hard and about the same distance I reckon.

Hiked it with my 11 year old daughter. We backpacked up to bear flats, made camp and then hiked to the top. No snow. Dry path, but it was fairly steep from the flats to the summit. Saw lizards and deer. Heard wild turkeys most of the night. We were warned of a rattlesnake that was spotted on the path but never saw it (thankfully!). No water up there to filter so plan accordingly. Super hot until a ways after the Y when you get into the trees.

Hiked 6/1/19. No snow on the trail. First few switch backs were the hardest, seemed to be less steep farther in

Love the view. We hiked this yesterday, June 1. There was a little snow and mud at the very top. Otherwise, the trail was dry. Perfect weather. Great workout with steep climb.