The "Y" Mountain Trail

The "Y" Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Have done this trail hundreds of times to keep up my cardio for high altitude hikes. I usually hike it three times in a row (three laps).

So glad I made the hike..... Gorgeous scenery and perfect timing for the sunset!!

Very steep and quite the calf workout. Legendary view and if you go at night, it's great to stargaze while laying on the Y.

I read a lot of reviews on here before doing this hike, and they all said it wasn’t that great, but I wanted to do it anyway. IT WAS SO GREAT!!! Especially mid-October, the colors are so beautiful and vibrant, and I loved being up in the trees. The view is amazing, and though it was a pretty challenging hike, it was waaaaay worth it!

Amazing views! This is a very steep trail and although the first 1.1 miles to the “Y” is a little underwhelming, the remaining 2.2 miles to the peak was awesome. Beautiful trails, colorful nature, and leg destroying climbing! I will definitely be running this again. Bombing down from the peak was an absolute blast, just make sure to be loud so people can get out of the way, because there is no way you can stop once you pickup some speed.

The view was a bit disappointing.

Spectacular trail with incredible views of snow covered mountains, trees changing colors for fall. My 7 year old and I hiked to the top of Y mountain and she and I were able to enjoy the wonderful weather and views.

Extremely difficult for little pay off. Hiked this one a number of times and it’s never gotten better

Good trail. Easy to find. Not heavily trafficked. Beautiful view. I’d rate it hard. Pretty steep climbs for a shorter hike.

Not a great hike but its short and has a decent view of the valley.

It's a fun trail to do at least once to get a great few of the valley. I powered through it so I was able to get through the whole hike in 3.5 hours. The very end felt like the hardest part because of it's continuous incline

D & I hiked this trail, 6 hours round-trip. Enjoyed all the butterflies. Stinging nettle blistered, but the blisters/rash had disappeared by the time we finished the hike.

Only passed two other hikers (who were hiking together) once we passed the main Y trail.

My favorite time of year for this hike is late spring/early summer. Nothing better than running through Bear Flat and the scent of mountain mint wafting up around you.

As hikes go, this one isn't great, but I give it an extra bump because I felt like I got a pretty good workout. I got lots of side eye from teenagers sprinting sporadically from turn to turn until the Y because I had a full day pack. Anyway, the trail is super overgrown, which is fine. Despite knowing there would be lots of stinging nettle, I wore shorts (downsides of getting dressed while half asleep). Regardless, I didn't have any issues with the nettle. I think I had a few stings, but nothing that left blisters or even hurt that bad. Decent view of the valley and pretty minimal traffic once you pass the Y if you're looking for seclusion.

it's a pretty difficult hike that isn't all that pretty. it's just straight up on a gravel path for a while. it's worth doing it at least once while you're in Provo, but if you want better views and hikes consider going up slate canyon and hobble Creek.

A great hike! The trail is definitely overgrown about 3 miles in, as others have said. Watch out for stinging nettle! All 3 of us that did this hike got some on us. Beautiful views from the summit and a really green and pretty hike once you get past the ugly and steep Y trail.

Hiked this trail by myself yesterday morning from 8:30-11:30am round-trip with a few minutes to enjoy the view and eat a snack at the top. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the current vegetation/undergrowth makes the trail very hard to find in some places. If I hadn't hiked this before, I'm not sure I would have been able to find my way. Though the mountain is quite green, the wildflowers are mostly all done blooming by now. I think the hike is prettiest during the middle/end of June. Also, according to my GPS, the trail is actually 7.3 miles round-trip. Overall, I think it's a nice hike with some beautiful views of Timp and the valley. Great workout. Would recommend!

Did this hike yesterday July 8 just for the “workout” and it was a workout! Started at 12:30 pm temp was around 90. That afternoon it hit 103! This hike has VERY LITTLE shade. The going was normal until I got 2 miles into the hike where the vegetation had completed covered the trail. The plants were 3-4 ft high, it was like trail blazing in the jungle. I was the only hiker past top of the Y. I gave the hike 4 stars for the workout value. Best to go with someone who is familiar or it would be very easy to loose the trail.

Did this hike beginning of June. Started around 6:30pm from the Y trailhead. Booked it up to the top of the Y to catch up with some friends that left earlier. HOT AND SUNNY for that portion. Probably my least favorite hike ever, but what's beyond the Y is always worth the trek. Temperatures cooled down a lot once behind the mountain. Some parts pretty steep so watch your footing. Got to the top right before sunset. Beautiful view over the valley. Once the sun was down, the temperature really dropped. Glad I brought a jacket! Hiked down in the dark with a strong flashlight. Back to the car by 11pm. Giving four stars just because I hate the hike to the Y, and I think there are several better hikes than this that I would rather repeat. Worth it to say I've done it, though :)

Took the trail today, with my small Maltese. He did great but there are a lot of people and other dogs so he was distracted. Make sure you take water, and watch your step coming down, loose gravel can be slick towards the bottom

It’s a staple hike in Utah county. Usually the first time will be the best one. As every time you see the Y you can say “I’ve been there”. It’s a steep trail, but nothing exciting other than a fun view of Provo and Springville from the top. GREAT exercise hike for real athletes.

Busy, especially on holidays, little tree coverage, but a great view all the way up. information and museum type posts along the way, and of course for BYU Students, this trail means a more to complete.

Get some grand photos, meet fellow students, and take the trail to the top to master this adventure.

Difficult hike. But beautiful trail, open meadows, wild flowers and amazing view of the valley and mount Timp at the top. Little traffic, only ran into a family of 3 half way up. Started hike about 7:30am and returned to parking lot about 11:30. It took longer then expected. A good portion of trail is shaded if you hike it in the morning.
Would do this hike again.

Went last Sunday. Was hot so bring enough water. Always a good hike. After the Y, I saw one person, so it was nice a peaceful being by myself. Saw one rattlesnake and two other snakes that I couldn’t make out fast enough. As they moved pretty quick when they felt me coming. Be safe and use a walking stick just Incase you have to shew away a snake

Definitely a lot harder than expected. The trail is consistently steep once you pass the Y. While it's not an incredibly easy hike, I saw little kids having a blast hiking up there! The view was AMAZING and definitely worth the hike. Out and Back it took us a little over 5 hours to Hike.

why anyone would choose to do this hike for "fun" is beyond me. Every trail above the Y is great.

Perfect

Amazing hike. I recommend starting around 7:30 before the sun gets to high. Beautiful scenery and the views are incredible. Took my 12-13 year old sons. Took us 5 hours from the parking lot to the top and back again. Loved every moment.

Wow. Amazing hike, but exhausting! It starts out with the normal Y trail which is tiring as is. Then teases you with a dirt trail leading off into the mountains and the next mile isn’t too bad. The. That last mile is straight up! And exhausting! The views are absolutely incredible and provides a feeling of accomplishment when you reach that flag at the top! Definitely recommend!

If you want a workout, do this hike! Trails are pretty wide, and it’s a good hike for kids. Picnic tables at the top