The "Y" Mountain Trail

The "Y" Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

As hikes go, this one isn't great, but I give it an extra bump because I felt like I got a pretty good workout. I got lots of side eye from teenagers sprinting sporadically from turn to turn until the Y because I had a full day pack. Anyway, the trail is super overgrown, which is fine. Despite knowing there would be lots of stinging nettle, I wore shorts (downsides of getting dressed while half asleep). Regardless, I didn't have any issues with the nettle. I think I had a few stings, but nothing that left blisters or even hurt that bad. Decent view of the valley and pretty minimal traffic once you pass the Y if you're looking for seclusion.

it's a pretty difficult hike that isn't all that pretty. it's just straight up on a gravel path for a while. it's worth doing it at least once while you're in Provo, but if you want better views and hikes consider going up slate canyon and hobble Creek.

A great hike! The trail is definitely overgrown about 3 miles in, as others have said. Watch out for stinging nettle! All 3 of us that did this hike got some on us. Beautiful views from the summit and a really green and pretty hike once you get past the ugly and steep Y trail.

Hiked this trail by myself yesterday morning from 8:30-11:30am round-trip with a few minutes to enjoy the view and eat a snack at the top. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the current vegetation/undergrowth makes the trail very hard to find in some places. If I hadn't hiked this before, I'm not sure I would have been able to find my way. Though the mountain is quite green, the wildflowers are mostly all done blooming by now. I think the hike is prettiest during the middle/end of June. Also, according to my GPS, the trail is actually 7.3 miles round-trip. Overall, I think it's a nice hike with some beautiful views of Timp and the valley. Great workout. Would recommend!

Did this hike yesterday July 8 just for the “workout” and it was a workout! Started at 12:30 pm temp was around 90. That afternoon it hit 103! This hike has VERY LITTLE shade. The going was normal until I got 2 miles into the hike where the vegetation had completed covered the trail. The plants were 3-4 ft high, it was like trail blazing in the jungle. I was the only hiker past top of the Y. I gave the hike 4 stars for the workout value. Best to go with someone who is familiar or it would be very easy to loose the trail.

Did this hike beginning of June. Started around 6:30pm from the Y trailhead. Booked it up to the top of the Y to catch up with some friends that left earlier. HOT AND SUNNY for that portion. Probably my least favorite hike ever, but what's beyond the Y is always worth the trek. Temperatures cooled down a lot once behind the mountain. Some parts pretty steep so watch your footing. Got to the top right before sunset. Beautiful view over the valley. Once the sun was down, the temperature really dropped. Glad I brought a jacket! Hiked down in the dark with a strong flashlight. Back to the car by 11pm. Giving four stars just because I hate the hike to the Y, and I think there are several better hikes than this that I would rather repeat. Worth it to say I've done it, though :)

Took the trail today, with my small Maltese. He did great but there are a lot of people and other dogs so he was distracted. Make sure you take water, and watch your step coming down, loose gravel can be slick towards the bottom

It’s a staple hike in Utah county. Usually the first time will be the best one. As every time you see the Y you can say “I’ve been there”. It’s a steep trail, but nothing exciting other than a fun view of Provo and Springville from the top. GREAT exercise hike for real athletes.

Busy, especially on holidays, little tree coverage, but a great view all the way up. information and museum type posts along the way, and of course for BYU Students, this trail means a more to complete.

Get some grand photos, meet fellow students, and take the trail to the top to master this adventure.

Difficult hike. But beautiful trail, open meadows, wild flowers and amazing view of the valley and mount Timp at the top. Little traffic, only ran into a family of 3 half way up. Started hike about 7:30am and returned to parking lot about 11:30. It took longer then expected. A good portion of trail is shaded if you hike it in the morning.
Would do this hike again.

Went last Sunday. Was hot so bring enough water. Always a good hike. After the Y, I saw one person, so it was nice a peaceful being by myself. Saw one rattlesnake and two other snakes that I couldn’t make out fast enough. As they moved pretty quick when they felt me coming. Be safe and use a walking stick just Incase you have to shew away a snake

Definitely a lot harder than expected. The trail is consistently steep once you pass the Y. While it's not an incredibly easy hike, I saw little kids having a blast hiking up there! The view was AMAZING and definitely worth the hike. Out and Back it took us a little over 5 hours to Hike.

why anyone would choose to do this hike for "fun" is beyond me. Every trail above the Y is great.

Perfect

Amazing hike. I recommend starting around 7:30 before the sun gets to high. Beautiful scenery and the views are incredible. Took my 12-13 year old sons. Took us 5 hours from the parking lot to the top and back again. Loved every moment.

Wow. Amazing hike, but exhausting! It starts out with the normal Y trail which is tiring as is. Then teases you with a dirt trail leading off into the mountains and the next mile isn’t too bad. The. That last mile is straight up! And exhausting! The views are absolutely incredible and provides a feeling of accomplishment when you reach that flag at the top! Definitely recommend!

If you want a workout, do this hike! Trails are pretty wide, and it’s a good hike for kids. Picnic tables at the top

Beautiful day to hike. 27 April 2018.
Great “workout” hike. Up to the Y a good start. From there till turnoff is not too aggressive (turnoff about a mile plus later). After taking a left at turnoff gets steeper most of the way till top. First time doing. 1 hr 45 min to get up. 1 hr down. Nice variety in trail conditions, nice views up top.

Fun hike. Pretty good workout too. There was no snow on the trail at all on 4/28/2018

Hiked it in early March, still with snow. Good trails all the way up. One thing I liked is that the majority of the hike actually has very pretty views - not just at the top. Snow made it kind of time consuming but not too steep or treacherous. I would recommend going at a time when there’s no snow.

Went all the way to the summit...about 1.5 feet of snow at the top...it slowed me down a decent bit but it was still doable with out an extra gear...just keep that in mind. Again, I’d like to reiterate that the second half of the trail is soooo much better than the first half...it’s got a whole different energy to it.

I love this hike!

Fun little hike

Hard but fun!

Hard with new snow. Only one person on trail to summit (Sunday). Snowshoes necessary past Y fork.

Pretty easy, beautiful hike after the Y. Great option to to more hiking past the peak.

This is a great trail. Nicely done with signs and explanations on local wildlife and environmental life. It’s a steep steep trail though. Everyone knows that. But it gets you to the “Y” quickly where the view is amazing. That’s another thing I like a lot about this trail, almost the whole time you get an amazing view of the valley without huge trees blocking your sight. It’s relatively short but it is still a leg burner. Fun “during the week” hike. Takes about 45-120 minutes depending on your health

I didn't love the first bit of the hike, but the trail gets gorgeous once you're past the Y! Fewer people, and way more wildlife.

Tough hike but once you get passed the Y, the view is absolutely spectacular and worth all the effort.