The Watchman Trail

The Watchman Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Directions from South Entrance: Drive northward a short distance and turn right on the Watchman Campground access road. Cross the North Fork Virgin River and turn left on a short road immediately east of the river.

This is a fairly easy hike with an amazing view at the top. We started around 8 am so the sun was just coming up over the mountains and we had shade almost the entire hike. I highly recommend doing this early in the day or later as the sun is setting to keep out of the heat.

Impressive views from the top, but very limited shade on the way up. Our 5 and 7-year-olds hiked it, too.

Not a bad hike as far as difficulty and availability, but not the best for scenery. I would have rated it lower but it's a quick hike you can get to from the campgrounds. First part was a little steep but flatens out and is more gradual. Made it up in 30 min and down in 13, but I was pushing.

Perfect for watching a sunset...or a thunderstorm roll in

This is a really active trail with a couple of switchbacks and steep climbing up. I caught the trail head by the Watchman camp site. My family and I went around 8AM to beat the summer heat.