The Wahweap Hoodoos Trail

The Wahweap Hoodoos Trail is a 9.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kanab, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

cave

Undeveloped trail through Wahweap creek.

Easy hike down a dry river bed. Did a few side hikes into the canyons to make it more interesting. Only saw 2 other people.

What a great hike! Not many people--had the hoodoos to ourselves. I had never been on a hike that wasn't clearly marked so it felt like a real adventure. We added another mile or two to our hike because we passed up the site and then stayed a little too long maybe-- had to bust out the headlamps on the way back. Try to find the packed ground to make it a little easier or else you'll be fighting the sand the whole time. Really great!

did the hike today.. hoodoos are awesome! A little muddy in the rain though..

I did the hike on February 14th, 2017. There was a moderate amount of water running in the wash and made for frequent water crisscrossing and wet sloshy hiking in the wash. I spent 4 hours doing an out and back trip and covered 9.6 miles total. Definitely not an easy hike although it is mostly flat. All the amazing hoodoo formations are along the west side of the wash, but the east side has some amazing canyon walls and is worth checking out. There is almost no shade from the sun. Despite there being no marked trails, you'll come across the Hoodoos between mile 4 & 5 depending on how much you hike in/along the wash area. I saw one other person that day, lots of cow pies & jack rabbits. I had a decent cell signal up until mile 4. Then GPS only. Well worth the time and effort spent!

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Our first time was a bit difficult due to not having a map and there being no trail markings. We made it about 3/4 of the way until we decided to turn around because we weren't sure if we were headed in the right direction. Second time was a lot easier, we ran a bit of the way and made tons of stops. It had recently rained so we walk through water and mud that was almost knee deep. Their is also lots of rocks in the creek, so beware of foot placement and be sure to drink lots of water. We found out that it is best to walk along the creek instead of through brush. Also we have placed a rock pile along with a piece of wood upright with a bandana tied beside the creek to where you will find a trail that will lead you to the hoodoos that I'd say are worth it. Be prepared before going on this hike, food and water would be essential. Stay alert of weather the days before, which will help you decide what kind of shoes to wear. We were able to start this walk with a couple others but they got behind and weren't able to make the whole way, so if you tend to take long stops then leave in the morning. I managed to take a 30 minute lunch/snack break at 2 different hoodoo spots and it took me 4 1/2 hours round trip. Goodluck and enjoy!

Monday, September 26, 2016

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

There is no trail, so the mileage was challenging at times, walking through the dry creek bed. Surface alternated between very rocky, muddy, and sandy. I did the hike without GPS, using only Topo map and compass. If you're going to hike without GPS, make sure you are very confident in your skills. There are a couple of side canyons that could lead you astray. I solo hiked in mid-May, and saw only one other couple hiking all day. It is a wonderful hike if you are looking for some alone time. Another challenging aspect of the hike was the lack of shade. It was full sun all day long, so take that into account if you plan to hike in the late summer. In summary, this was one of my favorite hikes of my lifetime, and I would highly recommend it. The hoodoos are beautiful, and I loved the challenge of off-trail navigation.