The Subway Trail is a 14.6 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Virgin, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October.

Length14.6 kmElevation gain398 mRoute typeOut & back
HikingNature tripsRiverViewsWaterfallRockyScrambleFeeNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (7)
Contact

Zion National Park charges a fee to enter. Fees are $35 per vehicle or $30 per motorcycle. If you are entering on foot, horse, or bike the fee is $20 per person. You can also purchase a park specific annual pass for $70. Please visit their site directly to secure your pass: https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/fees.htm An NPS permit is required to access this trail. For updates, please visit https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/thesubway.htm The Subway Trail can be accessed off of Kolob Terrace Road at the Left Fork Trailhead. This trail gets its name from the pipe-like gorge formed by the canyon walls. This is a canyoneering tour through the left fork of North Creek. It is known to be a long day hike to dinosaur tracks, keyhole falls, and the subway. The trail follows a creek that hikers will have to cross in many locations along the hike. It is not a well-maintained trail so be sure to have your GPS map handy and downloaded. This hike normally starts from the bottom of the Subway Trail, however many hikers do this trail from the top down off of Wildcat Canyon Trailhead. This is because the bottom-up route is much more difficult. This area can be prone to flash floods so be mindful of rain and talk to park rangers before heading out on your hike if you have any concerns. It is recommended that you are either an experienced hiker or have an experienced canyoneering guide to lead you on this slot canyon trail- Unlike the Narrows, it is a semi-technical hike that can require rappelling and swimming through deep pools of cold water. The subway section of the trail can be very slippery so proceed with caution.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (864)
Photos (1,046)
Activities (642)
Completed (1,918)
Michelle S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 15, 2021
Hiking

Selling 1 Extra shuttle pass for the 9-10am shuttle on 4/15/21, message me at 3475450689 if you need them!!

Emily Shapiro
Hiking

Hey everyone, I have extra tickets for the 9-10am shuttle on 4/15/21. Text me at (678) 922-0245. Selling for cheap!

Johna Mitch
HikingGreat!

2 passes 9am 2 passes 12pm 04/15/2021 (318) 370-1667 My tickets are legit and I can show proof unlike all these scammers below me

Matthew Seagel
Hiking

Hey guys I have 2 extra passes for 9-10am tomorrow morning. Text (314) 476-2757 if you need.

Reygan Reinhart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 14, 2021
HikingFeeGreat!RockyScramble

A really incredible hike!!! It’s very physical and the Subway is stunning. Since it’s permitted, you spend so much of it alone, as opposed the usual traffic jams in the rest of Zion. I hiked in just my regular Keen boots and wool socks and that was just fine. I would say that ankle support is key, as were my trekking poles. Also, don’t be afraid to get in the water! We originally tried to make the countless river crossings without getting in, but you’re much more likely to hurt yourself like that. You’ll have to step in eventually anyway. Can’t recommend this one enough!

Catherine Romanova
Hiking

Hi, I have two permits for May 11, but my friend and I are unable to make it to Zion this day. Would anyone be willing to switch permits for May 13-18th with me? Text me 5082770404

Cheman Yu
HikingGreat!

I recommend going on a weekday if you can. I walked up to the permit window at the visitor center and was able to get a permit for the next day. The hike was very easy to access. The descent was a little slippery even with hiking shoes but a hiking pole helps solve everything. Waterproof shoes were recommended but not really needed as long as you don’t mind getting your feet wet and have good traction. I would recommend to record your hike to make it easier to hike back, otherwise you would definitely have to drop a pin on your gps and take a picture as to where the exit is. The water at the subway section was very cold. If it wasn’t so windy today I would have swam the two pools to get a picture of the waterfall.

Lauren Kenyon

Anyone have permits for anytime 4/16-4/22? Text me @ 9783289527

Gabby Therese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 13, 2021
Hiking

Does anyone have a permit for 4/23? 3216964980 Or a shuttle ticket for the same day?

Thomas Litchev
HikingGreat!

Anyone have a permit for 5/10?? Greatly appreciate it!

Parker McKenzie

I need 1 permit for 4/14. Please text 9186448128 if you have one.

kati m
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 12, 2021
HikingRockyScramble

Lovely hike/scramble to an amazing destination. We were incredibly lucky and secured last minute lottery spots last week. Four of us hiked it, took about 7 hours which included a lunch break and some lingering in the tube, I was the slow one. Pick your trail(s), it’s quite an adventure! There seems to be a relatively well travelled trail on both sides of the creek. On the day we did it (Weds Apr 7th) 3 of us hiked up in boots or approach shoes, one in Lunas. We were able to cross or hop rocks and never got feet wet until just before the subway when the 3 of us swapped into sandals. We all hiked all the way out until just before the horrible scramble up in sandals/Lunas with no issues. Really appreciate the limited access to this awesome place. We had the Subway entirely to ourselves for a few minutes and it was a much better experience than any of the trails in Zion proper.

Shana Keating
Hiking

Hello! I won a permit for May 1 and wondering if anyone else is hiking top down that same day? If so, I'd love to join you since I'll be hiking solo. You can message me at 919-624-2035. I'm fit and capable so I won't slow you down, just haven't done a hike like this alone before and my friends keep recommending I watch 127 Hours. :)

Vy Donnelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 12, 2021
HikingGreat!

Does anyone have a hiking permit for this trail tomorrow they are not using? We would love to have one. Thank you. 206-596-1755

Victor vallejo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 10, 2021
HikingGreat!

I need 3 permits for the subway for April 23 or 25. thank you. text me at 6023847813

Geoff Uhlemann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 9, 2021
HikingFeeOver grownRocky

Almost feel bad giving this less than max stars as the last 0.25 mile is as good as it gets; however, it is quite a trek in. Last half is still very pretty but the whole hike is slow going with Boulder hopping, some bushwhacking, fallen trees, and dozens of river crossings. Normally I’d love that wilderness dynamic but several miles of it gets a bit old esp with young kids and a baby carrier. Also, the Subway portion is only a couple hundred feet before it’s wet above the waist and soon an impassable waterfall. In short, it’s an all day workout for 0.5 hour of amazement

Jack Perkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 8, 2021
Hiking

Started at 9:30 from the Left Fork Trailhead. Got a permit via last minute lottery for a Thursday. Also applied for a Friday and didn’t get it. If you get a permit, parking at the trailhead will be no problem. Arrived at 9:00 and there was plenty of space to park. We rented socks, boots, and poles from Zion outfitters the morning of and had to wait in line for ~20 minutes. The hike itself was incredible. Definitely worth getting the waterproof gear so that we could freely walk though the river whenever we wanted. Never really more than knee deep. Made it to the subway and water there was about waist high so we decided to turn around. Maybe saw 10-15 other people the entire hike

View Jack's activity
Leah Helen
HikingGreat!

Wonderful hike if you can win a ticket through the lottery. If you don't win, stop begging for a ticket on here in the review section or I'm going to start texting you pictures of my asshole.

Jeff Sauder
Hiking

Alison Edins No you do not need shuttle tickets to get to the trailhead. It’s about a 30 minute drive from the Zion visitor center to the trailhead. (Near Virgin Utah) Don’t forget you will need a permit in order to do the hike. I believe it is a lottery system from now til the fall to get the permit.

Kanstantsin Chernik

Looking for shuttle 4 tickets for April 26-28. Please, contact elizaveta.chernik@gmail.com

Kristen Beach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2021

Looking for 3 tickets on Saturday April 17th. Please text 480-234-2060