Learn more

The Subway Trail is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Virgin, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October.

Length 9.1 mi Elevation gain 1,305 ft Route type Out & Back

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (7)
Contact

In order to hike the subway trail, hikers need a PERMIT from the administration of Zion National Park that can be picked up from the visitor center. This is day-use only hike. The Subway Trail can be accessed off of Kolob Terrace Road at the Left Fork Trailhead. The trail gets its name from the pipe-like gorge formed by the canyon walls of North Creek. This is a canyoneering tour through the left fork of North Creek. It is a long day hike to dinosaur tracks, keyhole falls, and the subway. The trail follows a the creek and hikers have to pass through creek in many locations along the hike. The trail is not maintained. It is recommended that you are either an experienced hiker or have an experienced hiker to guide you on this slot canyon trail, as unlike the Narrows, it is a semi-technical hike that can require rappelling and swimming through deep pools of cold water. The subway section of the trail can also be very slippery so proceed with caution. This hike starts from the bottom of the Subway Trail, however many hikers do this trail from the top down off of Wildcat Canyon Trailhead, as the bottom up route is much more difficult. This area can be prone to flash floods so be mindful of rain and talk to park rangers before heading out on your hike if you have any concerns.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (574)
Photos (658)
Recordings (398)
Completed (1297)
Brittany Mishra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

This is a wonderful hike up to the red waterfall and the cave pools. Be careful near the red waterfall, it's slippery and there are hidden pot holes underwater. I fell in one of them and bruised my right leg deeply which made the rest of the hike painful. I made it, but it sucked...

Kim Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike last year- so beautiful!

John Woldum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingClosed

The Subway is a long (9+ mile) trail on the West side of Zion NP. I've now hiked it twice in the past few years; once for speed, and once for leisure. I would definitely recommend this trail for the moderate to experienced hiker (both because of length and how strenuous it can be). The Subway trail has four distinct parts: Left Fork Trail (a flat, 0.5 mile long portion and a steep descent into the canyon), a long trail following the river (3.5 miles), and a slippery climb up into The Subway itself. Make sure to have good traction and plenty of water. Overall, an outstanding trail with gorgeous views of the canyon and a unique water tube at the end.

Ryan Havey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

One of the best trails I’ve ever hiked and definitely a must when visiting Zion. We hiked it in September 2019 and it had a bit of everything. The rock scrambles were unique and varied in difficulty and the pools at the end were so refreshing. Definitely swim through the caverns in the back of the Subway formation although be careful - it’s slippery!

Sienna Willis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingRocky

This hike was super fun!! I really enjoyed it. The last part, we got a little lost, but then we made it and it was so worth it. The beginning part, we went 1.5 miles off trail, which was frustrating but I am so glad I did the hike! I suggest bringing a wetsuit for the water part, and lots of food, water, and repelling gear. This hike took us all day, but I really loved it and felt accomplished afterwards. I hope you choose to do this hike

Raiyan Mainuddin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingFloodedMuddyRockyScramble

an amazing hike.... we travel from California almost once a year to do this.... the first time was rather challenging... we got lost... and almost missed the exit in the dark.... quite an adventure.. but so totally worth it. I read some semi negative reviews of this and I must say this isn't a hike I would do in winter. definitely a hike for summer day. I can't imagine doing this during the winter. we did the top down and few times so you definitely need to be prepared of you do that as you will need to rappel down. Bottom up was much easier and non technical.

Leanne Skirzynski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
HikingScrambleSnow

I did this hike on 1/3/2020. This hike is absolutely amazing (even in the winter). You do need a permit, but in January we were able to go to the ranger station the day before we wanted to hike and there were plenty of permits available, in fact only my group and one other couple were on the trail. We rented dry pants (not the whole suit) and boots. I wore micro spikes over my boots. You hike down a very steep cliff face and then scramble up the river to the subway. The trail got lost quite a few times because of snow coverage but as long as you follow the river you can’t get lost. There are dinosaur footprints along the way and waterfalls. Overall a beautiful and must do hike in Zion.

Spencer P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownPrivate propertyScramble
Spencer P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
HikingBlowdownBridge outClosedFeeMuddyNo shadeOver grownPrivate propertyRockySnowWashed out