The Subway Trail

The Subway Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Virgin, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from June until October.

Long day hike to dinosaur tracks, keyhole falls and subway. The subway is a pipe-like gorge. The trail is not maintained. The beginning is steep. The trail follows a creek. Hikers have to pass the creek a couple of times. In order to do the subway-trail hikers need a permission from the administration of Zion National Park.

Fun adventurous hike. It's pretty strenuous but well worth it.

If you are going to do this hike, leaving early is the best. We left at 6am and got to the subway by 9am. We would have been the only ones in the subway, but some photographers had started the hike with a guide at 3am. The climb down into the canyon and back up were toughest (in my opinion). I recommend trekking poles! Keeping track of the path with a lot of river crossings was also a bit hard. So happy I did this hike. Also- permit required if you didn't know that.

Beautiful! One of my very favorite hikes!

Amazing hike. Lots of fun. Went with the group of 6. Our mistake was that we didn't bring any rope. There is one cliff edge to repel. A rope would have helped us, but we still figured it out, did something like human chain and made it safely of that cliff. It was such a great time, beautiful views, I would do this hike again.

Did this one from the bottom up as I was lucky enough to get a permit for this past Wednesday, June 28th. I hiked to The Subway as a solo hiker and tried my best to follow the social trail that exists... on both sides of the water. This hike is not easy. It's rated strenuous for a reason and by national park standards, it is strenuous - particularly in the heat. There are miles and miles of rocks to climb up and over before you lay your eyes on The Subway feature. Be prepared with a map, snacks, and plenty of water. Despite the difficulty, it's an amazing hike!

By far the best hike I have ever done in my life. Lots of different things to see. It is a fairly challenging hike so don't expect anything super easy. If you bring a swimming suit you can slide off the rocks into the water pots. Super fun, just be prepared!

Mentally and physically challenging hike. Plenty of route finding and crossing the stream. Entirely worth the reward of reaching the Subway at the end. Maybe my most memorable hike ever with my wife.