The Living Room Lookout Trail

MODERATE 1,172 reviews

The Living Room Lookout Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A nice moderate trail, a little bit steep for some people who aren’t a big hiker but nice view of Salt Lake City when you reach the top. Nice during sunset hikes as well.

great trail beautiful view good work out girlfriend was stung by a bee and they are everywhere

Amazing view at The Living Room! A mostly rocky, narrow trail. I was prepared to have a crowded trail, but I was alone except for a few people. Monday morning at 10:30am. I was able to sit in The Living Room alone for a half hour before anyone showed up. No snakes but lots of bumble bees. I was able to stop and rest as needed on the way up. Definitely a moderate trail. Very fun!

Moderate hike with amazing views of downtown Salt Lake City. Will def do again

Decent hike to get you in shape for others. I personally enter the path through the scrub oak at the upper saddle and continue to wire mountain.

An intermediate hike that's in a great location with great views. I love bringing out of town guests and my dog here, but watch out for snakes.

Who doesn't like a good morning exercise hike to sit in the living room and enjoy the view!

It's a fairly steep climb with only a decent view at the top. Parts of the trail were pretty, though. We went around 9am mid-June and didn't see many other people.

Good times!! Love it!!

it was a good day for a hike we loved it

Make sure to follow the map as it is not always apparent which trail to take. Especially near the beginning just take the trail that looks the easiest as there are many small trails going straight up that are not the real ones. Nice view of the city from the top so it’s worth the hike.

Fairly crowded after work, great view of the city. My husband and I took a little-used trail along the ridge for some better views and fewer people. Definitely one to check off in the SLC area. Don’t expect to be alone.

Best at and just after sunset

I did it with kiddos. It was really nice once you get to the top, , but it’s just to get a view of the city. There are rocks that are arranged like a living room for you to sit on, that’s why they call it the living room trail

no offense but this trail is like hiking a garbage dump. I didn't even make it 10 minutes in and it smells like dog poop and it's completely underwhelming. Go to donut Falls..... it's a little farther depending upon where you are but it's amazing.

I do not know why this has so many good reviews. It’s not shaded, way too crowded and you never feel like you’re getting out of the city because the whole point is just to see the city from higher. I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone looking to connect with nature. Ever.

very little shade, so bring lots of water! beautiful views

Steep and short hike - but an amazing view! I hiked this last week and a rattlesnake was on the trail and definitely rattled at me. Be alert. The trail is heavily trafficked but the snakes are there. I would rate it as easy- moderate. It’s steep (800 foot gain) in about a mile, but easy to stop and rest on the way.

It was not as super easy as people make it out to be. It was a great hike and the view at the top was gorgeous. We heard snakes but never saw any. We went around 9 am.

Good view of the valley. Lots of people. Okay views on the way up.

Super easy trail. Quick little trip suitable for tourists and people with children. Impossible to get lost on unless you can’t tell the difference between a well walked trail and a tiny split off. In which case, don’t hike haha. Ensign peak view is better.

It was a fun hike! Bring a jacket because the top is pretty cold, but overall a really pretty view to get to!

Renaming this trail RattleSnake Room! Watched my fiancé singlehandedly fight off 6 rattlesnakes while holding our newborn as we marched up the trail to the top of the living room.

Narrow trail and condensed with hikers. Super easy to navigate, its steep and challenging but in a good way. The views are amazing at the top! Depending on the time of year, the top can be windy & cold so bring some layers.

it's been way too long since having a good hike. so glad I did this.

I think I underestimated how much of a workout this trail would be! I really enjoyed it. The trail is pretty narrow at parts, and because this is a fairly popular hike, it made passing people a little difficult. It definitely didn’t feel crowded, though. It’s a pretty steady incline the whole way up, and there’s a pretty significant rise in elevation. The views at the top are unbeatable, so don’t quit halfway up!

The trail was pretty narrow, so I didn’t like that part. It was a crazy good workout going up and then felt like we raced down! If I did it again, I wouldn’t do it on an 80 degree day. The view was gorgeous and there are some wildflowers out.

A fun little challenge with a huge payoff! The view from the "living room" was awesome. The trail itself is pretty steep, I'll admit I took a break once or twice, (it was the first hike of the year guys, don't judge me) but so so worth it! Super fun and would highly recommend. Don't forget the sunscreen, the trail is pretty exposed, and bring a good amount of water. I drank my whole water bottle on the way up and paid for it going back down.

Great hike! Hiked tonight for a sunset, so beautiful. Plenty of shade, nice and short. It is confusing with a few forks in the path but all the other hikers were helpful. I would recommend going when it is dry outside, some spots may be tricky if it is slippery.

Beautiful trail- It is well shaded during the beginning. Expect some steep climbing towards the end of the trail. The views at the top are well worth it!