The Grotto in Hornet Canyon

The Grotto in Hornet Canyon is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Farmington, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Great trail with a wonderful payoff. This trail is actually an offshoot of the Steed Creek Trail and winds through Hornet Canyon, following Hornet Creek. The end is a beautiful display of water. You'll find a weeping wall, two waterfalls, and a semi deep pool. The giant boulder next to the falls makes a perfect natural seat to catch your breath and take in the sights and sounds. Bring water shoes since you'll need to cross a shallow creek before starting the main leg of the hike. The trail is half sun and half shade. It's not recommended to bring small children as the trail is narrow.

I also hiked to Patsy's Mine and Flag Rock for 5 miles RT.

As expected, there were no hornets in early November. The closer to The Grotto you get, the harder the trail gets. Not just steep, but narrow and the trail itself slopes toward the edge. My 12 year old had no trouble, but I wouldn’t recommend it for inexperienced or nervous hikers. The Grotto is beautiful though. I’m glad I went and would like experience it in a different season.

it's a really great hike mostly because of the grotto at the end! it was a pretty hard trail and extremely narrow. we had a couple of scares near the top but the rest was fine. we went at about 7:30-8 in the morning and didn't see any hornets.

The hornets on this trail are no joke. It's not worth it. There are two other trailheads within a half mile. I brought my dogs and I felt terrible, because they got stung multiple times when we hit the nest (as did I). If you choose to go, please leave pups and kids at home.

Andrea Lecannon's review is excellent for finding the way. I'll echo what others have said about the last little bit being more challenging, with steeper and some slippery portions of trail, culminating in a little rock scrambling to get to the petroglyphs. Although I didn't get stung, there are, indeed, a lot of the canyon's namesake around--hornets. Yellow jackets too. Mostly they were around creek crossings and seemed more interested in the mud than me. A little surprise: as you near the end of the trail to the petroglyph, there's an offshoot trail going up and to the right. It lends a more fulsome view of Hornet canyon as you ascend, and it goes over to a point where Tyler Smally has placed a wonderful bench as an Eagle Scout project, which gives a grand vista of Steed creek. Actually I liked the bench and expansive view better than the somewhat faded and nondescript petroglyphs!

I got a little lost on this hike, it is not that well marked and are a few forks and wasn't sure which way to go. After I found my way I was eventually stung in my calf by a hornet. Needless to say I did not make it all the way to the Grotto and will attempt again at a later date.

There is a reason this is called "Hornet Canyon". Not good for late summer hiking when wasps/hornets are most aggressive. Got swarmed today just as we were coming up to the Grotto area! Ouch! My son & I had wasps sting us on the ankles, back, and legs. They were completely on the offense and though warned by a cool guy before heading up to watch for "the bees" didn't realize how bad it was! Bees & wasps are very different & what's up there right now is a world of hurt! I'll try again during late spring/early summer. The trail was interesting & with wildflowers in bloom & abundant water for the wasps it would probably be a totally different experience;).

This trail has a huge hornets nest on the ground towards the end. We didn't finish because we were stung multiple times and chased down the trail. Will try again once the weather cools off

Kind of confusing where to start. Probably would have gotten lost if this badass mom (leading her family while carrying a baby) wasn't on the trail at the same time. When the path splits where the branch has fallen over, go to the right.

Make sure you know where the turn off is for the trail. You can walk past it easily if you're not looking. The last part of the trail is steep in some areas so make sure you have good footing coming back down so that you don't slip. Not a good trail for kids. The grotto is beautiful. My dog loved cooling off in the water. I started hiking around 8 a.m. on a Saturday and only passed two people on my way back. It was a breath of fresh air because most trails are getting so over-populated.

Nice hike with a truly beautiful grotto at the end. Think I saw one other person once I turned off the shoreline trail. Water shoes might have been nice to have, as you have to cross a wide stream at one point. Screenshot or download the map, as turnoffs can be a little tricky to spot. While the hike overall was pretty easy, the last 1/4 mile was really steep, so be careful of your footing on the way down. Definitely recommend this hike!

This trail starts after some time following Bonneville Shoreline, then you'll turn on to Steed Creek trail, follow it, then take the right split going down towards the creek again, after crossing the wood board bridge, there is another split, The Grotto trail is to the left, if you go right you'll be staying on Steed Creek Trail.
Great trail with a wonderful payoff. This trail is actually an offshoot of the Steed Creek Trail, it winds through Hornet Creek Canyon, following Hornet Creek. The end is a beautiful display of water, you'll find a weeping wall, 2 waterfalls, and a semi deep pool. The giant boulder next to the falls makes a perfect natural seat, to catch your breath and take in the sights and sounds. I got off track a few times because there are no trail markers, you'll need to keep the map open to be sure you're taking the correct one. Bring water shoes, you'll need to cross a shallow creek before starting the main leg of the hike, I brought swimming shoes, sat on a rock and switched from hiking boots to swim shoes and then changed back once I crossed the water. I saw only one other set of people during my whole hike, and they were off track from Steed Creek by mistake. the trail is half sun half shade, which is good. I wouldn't bring small children, as the trail is narrow. I had cell phone service for nearly the entire hike, and even 4G most of the time.