The Golden Cathedral Trail

The Golden Cathedral Trail is a 8.8 mile out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not so sure if the end destination is worth it. It's beautiful, but hard. The desert trail is pretty rough and almost non-existent. Thank god for GPS. I would not do this hike without one.

We were definitely over confident on this one....but will be going back for sure. The trail is not clearly marked at all. We had several references and researched our route. But still struggled to find our way. Next time we will camp at the trailhead and leave early to avoid the heat. We will take plenty of extra water and end up back before dark with plenty of time to enjoy the cathedral. It's absolutely gorgeous !
Be sure to stay to the left as the canyon splits, and the switchbacks donate not easy to see from the top.....but they are there. It was easy to get confused on the way back. But we did find the big red arrow painted on the rock by the sand hill, finally. It was brutal, but we made it back just as the sun disappeared. Some were not as lucky.
The search and rescue were heading down the mountain as we were climbing up. Be safe out there.
I would definitely recommend a GPS.

trail along the Escalante River can be VERY difficult to locate on the way back - you pop out of the reeds at one point onto the river trail, but if you aren't careful to mark it or aren't carrying a GPS you can overshoot the turn on the way back and then end up at an odd dead end north of the turn - I ended up spending the night over a strangers campfire who was fortunately camping near the way out and had a GPS

My brother and I did this hike last July without GPS. Made a 9 mile hike almost 11. Cairns can be hard to spot, use GPS or at minimum have print directions (what we used.) Watch the weather as we got caught in a flash flood. We were standing right below the cathedral when water burst thorough the first hole. It was terrifying but awesome.

My brother and I made this into a 19 mile hike. Check your gps batteries!!! Very worthwhile hike.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Challenging hike that requires some patience as the trail is hard to find at times.
Get to Neon Canyon and walk along the way in...about 1.5 miles...and you'll dead end at the Cathedral.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Great hike. Camped at the trailhead and day hiked to the Cathedral. The trail is difficult to follow. My GPS saved me on the return trek. Stay close to the river or in it on the return from Neon Canyon.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This is a challenging hike through slickrocks, deep desert sand and requires good navigational skills. There are cairns to mark the trailhead for about a mile and then you're on your own. The best guide I have found is http://backcountrypost.com/trail-guides/golden-cathedral.97/ .

Saturday, October 10, 2015