The Golden Cathedral Trail

The Golden Cathedral Trail is a 8.8 mile out and back trail located near Escalante, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until October.

My brother and I did this hike last July without GPS. Made a 9 mile hike almost 11. Cairns can be hard to spot, use GPS or at minimum have print directions (what we used.) Watch the weather as we got caught in a flash flood. We were standing right below the cathedral when water burst thorough the first hole. It was terrifying but awesome.

My brother and I made this into a 19 mile hike. Check your gps batteries!!! Very worthwhile hike.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Challenging hike that requires some patience as the trail is hard to find at times.
Get to Neon Canyon and walk along the way in...about 1.5 miles...and you'll dead end at the Cathedral.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Great hike. Camped at the trailhead and day hiked to the Cathedral. The trail is difficult to follow. My GPS saved me on the return trek. Stay close to the river or in it on the return from Neon Canyon.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This is a challenging hike through slickrocks, deep desert sand and requires good navigational skills. There are cairns to mark the trailhead for about a mile and then you're on your own. The best guide I have found is http://backcountrypost.com/trail-guides/golden-cathedral.97/ .

Saturday, October 10, 2015