Thayne Canyon Trail

Thayne Canyon Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October.

Be ready for up!

Beautiful trail. There is still a lot of the snow in Upper Thayne and in fact we ended up losing the trail and hiking straight up through the middle of a neighboring ravine. There were some scary moments and on our way down we just slid on your butts down sections because it was easier than fighting to stay standing. Great adventure and I can't wait to try it after the snow has melted.

Fun little hike to get the blood pumping. We hiked up until everything was absolutely covered in snow. My partner had sandals on so eventually we headed back down because he started losing feeling in his toes. If you plan on doing this hike, make sure you prepare. It would also help if you knew the trail because the snow made it a little unrecognizable at times.

great hike....nice weather....

Had a very enjoyable hike on snowshoes for this late in the season. After a snowing most of the week we hiked about a mile and a half where we reached fresh untracked snow. The depth of the snow was anywhere from 6 inches deep to knee deep in drifts, on the steep last .2 miles, to the top of Thayne Peak. The view was amazing with all of the fresh snow on all of the trees and mountains. It was an wonderful hike

Only made it 1 mile in because of snow. I got past a few patchy spots, but then I hit a section that didn't seem to end after about a 10th of a mile of wading through the snow. Figured it was unsafe to continue without spikes. I plan on coming back in a month or so to try again. This is definitely a moderate to hard hike although that is only speaking for the section I hiked. It went up the entire time with no flat parts.

Still VERY snowy. I took desolation trail to start intending to go to the Salt Lake overlook, but missed the switchback and ended up .2 miles from the top of thaynes canyon peak. The only reason I turned around is because of the insane steepness at the very top combined with several feet of soft, crystal like snow and the fact that my dog gave me the feeling that some kind of danger was approaching. (I never actually saw anything)
I would definitely recommend spikes for the lower paths and snowshoes for the upper canyon climb. Prepare to sweat!

Lovely trail. I did the loop up Thayne's to the peak, then down desolation. I preferred Thayne's canyon. It's steep at points, but not ridiculously so, and being for the most part down in the canyon is beautiful. I did not find it too overgrown in midsummer 2016. Even though the peak has little prominence, it gives lovely views all around.

Like others have said, its highly overgrown trail. Knowing this, you should go in expecting a rougher hike. Going up Thaynes Canyon is also pretty steep. However, I suggest making this two a loop if you don't mind the extra distance. This trail connects to the desolation trail and salt lake overlook which makes it a much more gradual and less weedy hike. By making it a loop, like I did, it makes the hike 8 miles roundtrip instead of 6 that it would be if just doing Thaynes Canyon. You could also just do the desolation trail and make it a gradual 10 mile trip to Thaynes Peak. It was nice how I didn't see anybody on the trail and I felt like I was further away from the city, as its not a very heavily used trail. If you're up for an adventurous atypical trail, I suggest this route.