Thayne Canyon Trail is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail was moderate, the only thing that made it difficult was the snow/ice. You end up sliding all over on the steep climbs because it’s so iced over. Pretty views all the way up and covered in shade. I would love to do this hike in the summer months so it’s not so cold. We did the loop up Thayne’s and down Desolation. Once we started our descent, we came across a fairly large black bear just off the trail-so watch out. Really cool to see him from a distance though. Would recommend to friends

A gorgeous trail and a steep last leg up to the peak. We ended up going back down Desolation and doing the Salt Lake Overlook too. Thaynes has a lot of shade, much more than Desolation and is less hiked so more enjoyable.

Steep climb that stays in the shade. A couple spots had quite a bit of overgrowth that you had to push through. There is quite a bit of loose rock on this trail, and bees were everywhere! If you’re looking for a shady, challenging climb, try this one. If you want something less steep with more scenery, stick to the desolation trail.

We had a good time, and didn’t see anyone on this trail. Probably wouldn’t do it again, though. Desolation would have been the much better option.

I really should read the level of difficulty better! It was a lovely day and somewhat of a coolish June day when I started. The wild flowers were spectacular! The hike gave me a great workout. I would recommend poles. I came back down on a loop that took me to the City View.

Only went up about 2 miles and then hit snow on the trail. We turned back because we had intended to be on Desolation Trail! But it was beautiful the whole way and completely in shade. I’d like to do this one again and finish it.

Still a lot of deep snow once you get up high. Turned around because I began post holing (knee deep or more) and didn’t want to deal with it. Would be better in June I bet.

Pretty hard hike. The snow gets deep in some areas. Yes... there’s snow the entire trail. We never did reach the summit. The map was trying to take us down a trail with nearly 3 feet of snow... we turned around. Probably a trail we’ll cross off the list and not return.

We hiked down this canyon after summiting Thayne’s Peak via Desolation Trail. Steep and rocky to the summit. I think this peak is under appreciated. A 360 vista of each direction shows many peaks and summits which is pretty cool.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Gorgeous trail. Made it in 2.5 hours. Wet today.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Decided to hike this today..... there were still about 8-12 inches of snow of a good chunk of the trail, which made the going difficult. I only had one pair of foot prints to follow in the snow and was kind of nervous about my dog getting stuck in a snow drift! saw no tracks headed down, decided to take Desolation trail on the way back down, which was in much better condition today.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

We ended up doing the loop which took in Desolation Trail, beautiful views on the Desolation side, 8.5 miles total. All uphill for the first 3.5 miles. We had to use our phone flashlights for the last 1/2 hour.
The trail is not clearly marked, definitely no mile markers. Strenuous and some narrow steep drops in areas, we loved it!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tough for a fat out-of shape gal but beautiful! Not many hikers. Serene.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

The trail was a little confusing, and after hiking about 3 miles, we came to a fork with a sign that told us we were on desolation trail soooo not sure where the wrong turn was taken. Pretty hike! Very green, lots of flowers. It is pretty consistently steep the whole way up, it was definitely strenuous so be prepared to sweat!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

❤️❤️❤️

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Be ready for up!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Beautiful trail. There is still a lot of the snow in Upper Thayne and in fact we ended up losing the trail and hiking straight up through the middle of a neighboring ravine. There were some scary moments and on our way down we just slid on your butts down sections because it was easier than fighting to stay standing. Great adventure and I can't wait to try it after the snow has melted.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Fun little hike to get the blood pumping. We hiked up until everything was absolutely covered in snow. My partner had sandals on so eventually we headed back down because he started losing feeling in his toes. If you plan on doing this hike, make sure you prepare. It would also help if you knew the trail because the snow made it a little unrecognizable at times.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

great hike....nice weather....

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Had a very enjoyable hike on snowshoes for this late in the season. After a snowing most of the week we hiked about a mile and a half where we reached fresh untracked snow. The depth of the snow was anywhere from 6 inches deep to knee deep in drifts, on the steep last .2 miles, to the top of Thayne Peak. The view was amazing with all of the fresh snow on all of the trees and mountains. It was an wonderful hike

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Only made it 1 mile in because of snow. I got past a few patchy spots, but then I hit a section that didn't seem to end after about a 10th of a mile of wading through the snow. Figured it was unsafe to continue without spikes. I plan on coming back in a month or so to try again. This is definitely a moderate to hard hike although that is only speaking for the section I hiked. It went up the entire time with no flat parts.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Still VERY snowy. I took desolation trail to start intending to go to the Salt Lake overlook, but missed the switchback and ended up .2 miles from the top of thaynes canyon peak. The only reason I turned around is because of the insane steepness at the very top combined with several feet of soft, crystal like snow and the fact that my dog gave me the feeling that some kind of danger was approaching. (I never actually saw anything)
I would definitely recommend spikes for the lower paths and snowshoes for the upper canyon climb. Prepare to sweat!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Lovely trail. I did the loop up Thayne's to the peak, then down desolation. I preferred Thayne's canyon. It's steep at points, but not ridiculously so, and being for the most part down in the canyon is beautiful. I did not find it too overgrown in midsummer 2016. Even though the peak has little prominence, it gives lovely views all around.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Like others have said, its highly overgrown trail. Knowing this, you should go in expecting a rougher hike. Going up Thaynes Canyon is also pretty steep. However, I suggest making this two a loop if you don't mind the extra distance. This trail connects to the desolation trail and salt lake overlook which makes it a much more gradual and less weedy hike. By making it a loop, like I did, it makes the hike 8 miles roundtrip instead of 6 that it would be if just doing Thaynes Canyon. You could also just do the desolation trail and make it a gradual 10 mile trip to Thaynes Peak. It was nice how I didn't see anybody on the trail and I felt like I was further away from the city, as its not a very heavily used trail. If you're up for an adventurous atypical trail, I suggest this route.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Good workout but SO many bees. Might be better to go earlier in the day.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Holy overgrowth! This trail becomes extremely overgrown. Lets also not forget the swarms of bees that surround you. When it was not Amytyville horror like, it was very steep. We took a wrong turn and ended up taking the desolation trail back down.

This is a challenging hike which is good but I wont be doing it again. Good if you want to be alone, we didnt see a soul!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

i went at about 530pm on a monday. i didn't run into a single soul. there,are tons of plants growing over the path in spots which makes trail running difficult, but doable if you are persistent enough. great views of everything. even had a hawk circling over me at the peak. so far this is my favorite hike in millcreek.

Monday, July 11, 2016

This is one of my favorite hike! It is a very hard hike but worth it if you can make it to the top.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

I really really liked this hike. Plenty of shade, abundant green and wildflowers the higher you get, trail has a good grade to it the only complaint I have is no water source but fortunately I was prepared carrying 6L of water for my dog and I. But stunning views of gobblers nobb, mt Raymond, wildcat ridge, triangle peak, mt Olympus, and mt grandeur from the summit we were lucky enough to catch sunrise at the top this morning

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This is a beautiful hike. We went early, around 7am, and it rained the night before making for a wet but relatively bug free hike. The trail up is steep the whole way but it flattens out as it meets up with desolation trail. It is a nice loop and I highly recommend it. I wouldn't suggest bringing young kids seeing as it is so steep in the beginning and the trail gets pretty narrow at times with unforgiving drops, it could be easy to fall. (Think Princess Bride).

Saturday, May 21, 2016

I have to admit, this was not my favorite. Some of it was the time of the year (summer) and there were scores of biting flies. It was pretty, was a good workout and there are not many peeps, but we bailed before the top because of the bugs. When it's really dry, there is a lot of loose sand/gravel, so sticks might be helpful.