Taylor Canyon Trail

Taylor Canyon Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,545 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking is on the street at the top of 27th st. Make sure to lock your cars.

I recommend starting at the 27th street trailhead but be warned there is no actual parking. You will be on the street. The trail can be confusing to get to so use the gps. The trial follows Malans until a small wooden bridge and then continues into the canyon where Malans heads up to the south. It is shady and follows a creek. There was no official end. There is no waterfall. We ended at a large rock cliff. It was moderately difficult and took about an hour to get to the top and 45 mins to come down with less experienced hikers. I wasn’t overly impressed. I hear you can continue to hidden peak which we chose not to do. There are better hikes in the area with better sites.

This trail is not for the faint of heart. It’s a steep uphill climb the whole way. A lot of it is rocky. You’ll want to follow the map because it’s easy to get lost or take the wrong turn (I did several times). Most of the trail is shaded and there was a bit of a stream. Definitely dog friendly as well.

This sounds s one of my favorites! The trail can be tricky in places. Kept the map open on my phone. But the beautiful scenery and cool canyon breeze are more than worth it!

Didn't find the waterfall, but got to climb on some cool rocks so still worth it!

great climb, quite an uphill. the end was a little anticlimactic. but for the most part you have a pretty hike through the trees following the water. it is a bit over grown, definitely doable but I am happy I wore long pants.

Great hike and views, but the trail to the waterfall is grown over completely. Could not access the waterfall, so we just took another trail. Would still come back as there are so many trails in this area.

I love this trail! It’s still really wet in places, so be sure to take that into consideration when choosing footwear. The wildflowers were beautiful as you get closer to the top, and the views are lovely. We were so close to completing it, but we had to head back down as it was quickly getting dark.

Did this today and stopped about a quarter mile shy of the endpoint when the weather took a turn for the worse. Stream is running over lower parts of the trail, but not too bad if you have waterproof shoes, but the trail had very deep mud after the second water crossing (the one after the log bridge). I was very grateful for my trekking poles on my way back down!

Great hike. Went up Hidden Valley and came down Taylor Canyon. Had to cross the stream 3 times on the way down. Not easy with rushing water but it made it exciting. I would not take a kid on this hike until stream can easily be crossed. We were so thankful we did not have our 6 yr old with us!

We hiked down Taylor Canyon from the top of Hidden Valley as part of a loop ending at 22nd Street trailhead. Nice hike overall, with a few muddy sections and some overgrown bush. There aren't any real bridges for the few creek crossings, so waterproof boots are highly recommended. There was no snow on the 6th of May, 2019.

I entered from the 27th Street trailhead. The trail has a great deal of up, and gets steeper near the top. As of this week, there is a lot of water, and just a minimal amount of snow starting at about 6,200ft. Highly recommend waterproof boots, at least mid-rise. Next to no traffic at the higher elevations. I fell just shy of seeing the waterfall as my trek, while a maintained trail, departed north from the AllTrails trek. I stopped 100' shy of the target elevation.

Great time and a nice easy beginner start, then gets to a rocky intermediate trail with large berms and some large rocks to jump off of. It's also a great vew over Weber county especially in the late afternoon. the trails are very well maintain but being that it is the beginning of the season you will get some weed wacking on hands.

Trail had a good bit of snow towards the top of the Canyon trail, and was getting a little slick towards the bottom on way down. We did ok with just boots, but could have used snowshoes. Nice and quiet and pretty!

Wonderful trail for a moderate hike! Even in the snow the hike was not difficult but towards the latter part gave us a nice incline to go up. 10/10 would try again.

This was a really great trail to get some excercise on. You are on a steady elevation gain the entire time but it is very pretty and worth the time. I recommend poles for this trail. The trail signs are a bit confusing due to them stating there is a North and South Taylor Canyon. Can't find that on any map. I stayed on the signs for North and it took me up into the canyon. The trails runs along Taylor Creek and you hear/see water at times. I liked the fall leaves everywhere and the low volume of traffic.

Loved this hike! We took the fork to the left at the end and connected to Hidden Valley to make a big loop! Will definitely be doing this again!

October is a pleasant time to trail run or hike this moderate to easy trail. The entire trail was carpeted with the fallen mable and oak brush leaves. I recorded 1.7 miles to the distination which is a grove of trees. I guess it could be called the trail to nowhere. Which was not a bad thing because I really enjoyed the quiet stillness and solitude.

Saturday, August 18, 2018

I did this hike with a friend of mine and we loved it!! It was the perfect hike, it wasn’t too hard but still gave you a good workout. Mostly shaded which was nice so the sun wasn’t beating on us the whole time. The only thing about this trail was the end was just a dead end? We followed the map and it said we reached the end and it was just a bunch of trees right passed the fort people talked about in the reviews. We went farther past the end point located on the map but it just took us into the woods and led to nothing. So that was a little disappointing but on the way back down we went off trail and climbed some huge (dangerous) rocks and came to a beautiful view!! It was incredible- don’t recommend unless you’re good at climbing and not afraid of heights but it made the whole hike for us climbing up there. All in all loved this trail and will do again!

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

My knees still cringe when I think about this trail. Beautiful scenery, but the return hike nearly did me in... Park right near the trailhead on 27th Street, we entered the trail through the left (north) gate. Note there are signs on the street that say no night parking (10 pm - 6 am). The trail is clearly marked as you begin to head up. Just follow signs for Upper Taylor Canyon. I read on these comments to stay left, so here's exactly what happens when you do: ^_^ Keep following the trail as marked. The first place we got confused was when it looked like there might be a fork, but wasn't. (It looks like you could maybe continue straight, but that trails peters out.) There's a long skinny log to kind of prevent you from going straight, but it runs in the same direction as that non-trail, so that was a little confusing. You'll actually take a right over a wide, dry (Aug. 7, 2018) creek bed and follow up the trail here. You won't see water anywhere at this point (though small streams are in other areas). The first fork, take a left. You'll walk over rocks on a small creek with water (shoes don't get wet.) Hornets are out by the water! Don't worry, just walk calmly past them over the rocks. They won't bother you. Keep a'goin and there will be another fork. We stayed left again. You'll eventually come out into sun, but keep climbing and you'll find shaded areas again. There *IS* a destination here! We kept going, over a couple of rockways, into a skinny trail in the trees that narrows but is fun. There are some steep parts. You'll know you've "made it" when the trail opens to a tree surrounded by flat rock and several mounds of rocks as well. From here you'll get a great view of the valley below. We took about 2 hrs up, plus a 30 min lunch break along the trail. About 1.5 hrs back. Total time, 4 hrs. But... beware!!!! If you have slight knee trouble going downhill, do not -- I repeat: DO NOT -- do this trail. Or at least, maybe don't go past that last fork. It took us so long to get back down because the descent was so steady (which was awesome going up, but a terror going down) and it hurt my *ahem, not even 30 yr old* knees like crazy. Also... you know that feeling when your toes shove into the front of your shoe because the hill is too steep?? Eesh! That too. The trail itself is awesome! (4 stars here!) It's mostly shaded, it's not busy, you feel like you're right in nature and not on any man-made trail.... I'm glad we got to experience this. But oof. Personally, I wouldn't do this again just because the downhill was so brutal. (Knocked down to 3 stars.) I recommend trying it, especially if your knees are young and spry! :D It's pretty out here.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

My husband and I completed this hike on June 19 with Scout dog. This trail was mostly shaded, and had a moderately steep incline the entire way. At one point, we might have taken a wrong turn, because we never made it to a waterfall or an overlook. According to the app, we were still on the trail, and we made it to the "end," but it was just a random clearing in the middle of the canyon. So maybe we should've kept going? Oh well. A decent, but not spectacular, hike.

Thursday, June 07, 2018

I love this hike. The scenery is amazing.

Thursday, May 31, 2018

great trail, shady most the way, not alot of people.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Taylor Canyon was so beautiful! Maybe my favorite hike now. Wildflowers, a cool fort, easy stream crossings, almost all shade, steady incline, quiet, and peaceful.

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Hiked with family. Did not get to the top, but beautiful canyon with shade and stream!