Syncline Loop

Syncline Loop is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Monticello, Utah that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round.

Loop trail around Upheaval Dome in Canyonlands National Park: Islands in the Sky This strenuous backcountry route follows the washes on either side of Upheaval Dome. Spur trails partway around the loop provide access to the center of the crater (3 mi/4.8 km) and the Green River (7 mi/11.2 km.) Total elevation change is roughly 1,300 feet. The north side of the loop passes through a riparian area where water and shade are usually available. There is one designated campsite along the trail.

WOW is all I can say. One of my favorite hikes ever. I did the hike alone in November so weather was perfect and I didn’t encounter another person until the last hour of the hike. I had 3L plus of water and it lasted me the whole hike. Per my GPS watch the 8.3 mile estimate seemed short of the mark, but I still completed the hike in about 5 hours with plenty of stops for pics along the way (I am relatively fit and determined, but no iron man). Scenery changed the whole hike and the best part was standing at the meeting point of the opposite legs of the trail (as marked by the trail sign) with the 360 degree panorama of the scenery. Truly stunning.

I hiked the trail clockwise which was great for avoiding a tough hike up the switchbacks at the end. Trail is pretty well marked and I only got off course a couple times (and easily found my way back). Also, although I love scrambling/bouldering, I am not a fan of significant heights at all and definitely found a couple parts very challenging as a result. However, for me overcoming the fear inducing points made the trail even more satisfying. After all, that’s the sacrifice and reward of the outdoors!

We did the hike clockwise. Would recommend doing it this direction (unless you want steep punishment at the end of a long hike). Not “Colorado 14’er” strenuous, but a pretty decent workout. Great views and good variety. Mostly good footing. Some skree, sand, and a little scrambling. Nothing major. It is the best hike we did in Canyonlands.

Easily the best hike we did in Canyonlands!!! It was tough and required some careful stepping up and down rocks, but the geography changed so much that it was constantly interesting ! We did it backwards which made us hike up the stairs at the end .. the toughest part of the whole trip but it was the most rewarding!! I'd rate it a 9/10 !! Took us about 6.5 hours, bring lots of food and water! Your energy gets really depleted!

Fantastic hike!! If you are going in the afternoon, go clockwise, for afternoon shade which almost takes you into this other world. It was absolutely gorgeous. Stunning views of the canyon. If you go clockwise there is a steep initial descent, and then a pretty steep ascent around mile 4-4.5 which is probably the hardest part but its fun. A lot of exposure so take a lot of water and snacks.

It's 14 km loop, not 11. Hard, no shade. You must take a lot of water.

Really fun hike! Loved the scramble boulder section. You encounter Very few others

Great views along the way of the surrounding crater from the outside, and an awesome Boulder scrambling section.