Sylvester Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(13)
Moab, Utah

Sylvester Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.9 miles Elevation Gain: 974 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail begins at the end of a ranch road where it follows a wash that eventually climbs to a ridge and comes to an end at a junction with an unmarked trail.

Beautiful trail and many amazing rock formations. It’s just not very well shaded and I meant to go to Mary Jane Falls. I still enjoyed the hike and got some beautiful pictures.

Beautiful classic desert hiking

In all honesty I am probably giving it 3 stars because it was not what we were expecting.... we meant to go on the Professor Creek/Mary Jane trail and due to a lack of a trail head marker we ended up on this one. Beautiful views, not too difficult but very very dry. Bring more water than you think you will need. We almost ran out and had to ration the last half of the hike. All in all it was a nice stretch if the legs and we were glad we did it but I don't think we would go again.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Fri Dec 21 2018

I thought this was a great hike. It starts from the same parking area as Professor Creek and Mary Jane Canyon. In fact, Sylvester is the better marked trail from this trailhead. You will need to use Google Maps to find the turnoff from Rt 128. It is not marked, but it is right before the sign to Onion Creek Rd. The dirt road is in good shape. The trail is mostly easy to follow with a couple of notable exceptions that won't screw you up in a major way. The elevation gain is pretty spread out, and there are a fair amount of ups and downs. Right now, snow only impacts the trail in a few places. There was only one place where I thought about using my YakTrax, and had no trouble without them. I wouldn't want to do this when it is hot. There is absolutely no shade at all. The scenery is great. Once you get to the sign saying Maintained Route Ends, you can follow the obvious trail to the left a bit and you will hook up with a bunch of ORV trails that run down to Castleton Rd, so it wouldn't be hard to do this as a point to point hike if you had a car shuttle.

Sat Mar 23 2019