Sunset Trail

Sunset Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaysville, Utah that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Head north on I-15 and take the Farmington exit. At the stop sign turn right (east) and go to 100 East Street and turn left (north). Follow this into Farmington Canyon and go 5.3 miles up the canyon to Sunset Campground.

Absolutely one of my favorites. Besides the old cars, tires, washer, water heater that's been dumped and fallen from the road above it has a fantastic waterfall that you can climb down to with a rope someone has tied off for us.

I took my grandsons on this hike this morning. It is a great hike for boys because it has so many rewards! There are a total of four vehicles that have fallen off the canyon road and are near the trail. There is also a waterfall at the end and a small cave at the beginning. The trail does continue up to the campground, but we stopped at the waterfall, which makes it about a 3 1/2 mile hike round trip. I took a screenshot of the location on the map for 3 of the vehicles and of where the waterfall is. I added those pictures to this app. You do have to repel down a steep hill holding on to a rope someone was so kind to leave to get to the waterfall. My 10, 11 and 13 year old grandsons were able to do it and so was their 57 year old grandma. Most of the trail is shaded in the morning. We only ran into a few people. I recommend this hike for families. It's very fun.

It's a nice enough trail... pretty easy as far as no need to scramble, being well defined, no extreme up and downs and only moderate altitude gain. It is narrow, though, single file, and parts are right on the edge of drop offs. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with younger children be-bobbing along it unless they have some experience because if they get careless, they could go off the side of some fairly precipitous drops. Nice to hear the river below most of the way. Nice waterfall near the end. Goes through shady areas here and there, and you cross a couple of places where shallow, not wide, water flows over the trail. There's a sense of sameness along it's length, though. Still, overall, nice... great canyon vistas.

easy, however to get to the waterfall you go down a steep portion where someone has luckily added rope. I wouldn't think kids could make it to well down that last portion, but they can still see the waterfall in the distance up top.

A beautiful hike but definitely not easy! My husband and I, and my 15 & 13 year olds all are huffing and puffing most of the way. We are glad we did it but I wish I had been a little more prepared for how tough it was. ;)

Good hike. Family friendly

Pretty fun, family friendly trail. Takes you to a pretty cool water fall and right now it is gushing because of all the snowmelt. The hike goes by pretty quick.

The first bit of this trail is in the sun, then you finally get a break when the trail starts curving more into the mountain side! Great, easy trail with my 8 and 4 year old boys! Bring lots of water if you go on a hot day!! The waterfall is pretty cool and the crashed car is neat to hike up to, there are a few areas to sit down and have a snack or break.

rails trails

easy trail. nice views.

Beautiful trail, some parts are pretty rocky narrow and steep looks like it might have been washed out from the wet winter and spring we had.