Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

Favorite hike to get some headspace!

One of my favorite views of the Wasatch Range is from this peak. It’s really not a difficult hike, once you get up to Catherine Pass, follow the trail to the right for only another half mile or so up to the peak. If the Alta summer road is open, you can park for free at the trailhead if you get in before 7am.

Not a hard hike. Pretty moderate in my opinion. If you want to get adventurous though, scramble the face of pioneer peak and then head over to sunset and loop down. Really windy at top, but fun.

AMAZING!! incredibly hard. probably the hardest hike I've done this summer but the view at the top is mesmerizing.

Great trail / climb! Amazing views of Catherine’s Lake and Cecret Lake up to Brighton.

The view draws the eye over to Mt Superior and across to Twin Peaks and beyond to Timp and Nebo ...

This is probably one of my favorite trails to run down !

This was a wonderful hike. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. I did use the app to make sure we chose the right trail at one point. We were with a couple who wanted a shorter hike and this delivered but still offered an amazing view at the top. Parking can sometimes we tough but we happened to get one of the last spots. Parking on the road is not allowed. I’ve hiked in this area a lot and this is one of my favorite hikes because of the views. They are beautiful all along the way and especially on top of the peak! Highly recommended if you aren’t looking for something too strenuous.

poorly marked and poorly built on the top going for the summit. from the summit be sure to pick the right trail because there are two trails going down. one leads dead end. I got lost on the wrong one. take a picture of the trail you took to reach the summit. climbing up on sand makes it especially difficult. be safe friends .

I loved this hike. We decided after hiking a lot of really tough, long hikes that we wanted something mellow. This is perfect. A sense of accomplishment without killing yourself. Started at 7 this morning and we were back to the car before 11(it took us a while because there was a cow(mama) moose and two calves right on the trail and we also got rained on and had to wait out the storm). There was a ton of wildlife and really pretty views. I would rate this as easy!

Beautiful hike this morning. Hazy skies but still incredible views! Will definitely bring my kids on this hike to the pass but only my older kids to the peak. Would be an incredible sunset hike.

Breathtaking views!

Really nice hike. I usually go up to Catherine Pass from the Brighton side, going by all the lakes, but the Albion Basin side is nice too. The trail is a mile shorter if you are able to park right at the Catherine Pass trailhead. On the Albion Basin side you are going to have to deal with the entry fee and the limited parking unless you go early in the morning. Right now, you are also going to have to deal with road construction as well.

I have seen lots of moose and deer on this trail, but not today. And the wildflowers are pretty much out of bloom, but it's still very pretty. The views were not great this morning, because of all the forest fire smoke right now. The smoke probably doesn't help with the breathing at high altitude either.

From Catherine Pass you can go up to Sunset Peak on a very easy to follow trail, or you can go over to a high point that looks down on the top of the Supreme lift at Alta. The trail to Sunset Peak is fine, with a few steep sandy stretches which make me nervous coming down, but are really not a problem. If you go in the other direction at Catherine Pass, you are heading up to Mount Tuscarora and Mount Wolverine, which is more challenging.

The wildflowers were still in bloom, the views spectacular and a relatively easy hike for such a beautiful view.

Climbed from the Brighton side: 6 miles, 2 1/2 hours car to car. Gorgeous sunset!

One of my favorites!! I like to start at Brighton instead of Albion and the past 2 weeks have gone twice - leaving trailhead at 7 am and 6:20 am and both times still got crowded on the way down!!! Must go early to avoid crowds, even on a week day!! Love the lakes, flowers, and moose!

Really nice hike this morning. Sunrise from the pass was amazing. The flowers were still in bloom. Lots of colors.

Great hike!

One of me favorite trails!

I loved it!

Awesome!

Monday, November 06, 2017

Hiked 10.21.17 - Loved this trail! Get to pass lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine and end up at the peak where you can see all 3 lakes together. This is one of my favorite hikes I’ve done in the area. Beautiful views!

The trail is easy to follow. There was some snow when I hiked a couple weeks ago, but it was completely doable. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get to the top.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

The trail had 4-6 inches of new snow early this morning and had the trail to ourselves except for bird and deer.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Awesome panoramic views at the top! Did this hike on 9/20. The trail had some snow on it and was a bit slippery but wasn’t too bad using caution. Totally worth the trek up! It’s a relatively moderate hike until the last little bit to get up to the peak but not hard in comparison to many other hikes up the cottonwood canyons.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Awesome hike with amazing panorama view at the top. Tiny bit of snow towards the top of the trail but nothing to be worried about.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Perfect magic hour hike

Monday, September 04, 2017

Nice hike. Did this hike from base of Brighton, went from Lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine to Catherine Pass. Nice easy pace, took me about 1:30.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Did this trail tonight. it isn't difficult and the view of the sunset and the lakes is non pareil. It was silent at night and you can see the stars. this may be my new favorite.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Beautiful hike, something I would take my non-hiker friends on. It's pretty warm during the day, try to hike it in the morning or evening.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

This definitely should be one of the go-to hikes of SLC. Hike late summer to see all kinds of wildflowers, hummingbirds, deer, ground squirrels, and there's a good spot to see Moose if you get the timing right. As the name suggests I recommend starting in the early evening to see the sunset, just make sure to bring a headlamp/some sort of light for the way down.
Although, I really don't think this is a particularly difficult trail. There are a few areas that are steeper, but altogether this is a trail I'd take my parents/less physically-inclined friends to see.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Fun quick hike with great views