Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,358 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area. [IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

Pretty snowy right now! We didn’t finish because we were all in chacos, but it’s probably doable in boots!

Tried to get to the peak on snowshoes but ended up at a section that was too sketching to attempt with snow and ice.

9-19: just a solid trail with some great views at the top and along the way.

recorded Sunset Peak Trail

Added a couple miles since the road to the trailhead is closed for the season, and didn’t make it much further than the trailhead bc of snow. But I’d like to try this again in the spring/summer, I bet the peak is pretty nice.

Amazing 360 views from the top I wouldn’t necessarily rank this hike as hard it does get a little steep towards the end but the first 1.5 miles is mostly flat. Weather is still good today just a little snow on the ground with plenty of deer walking around!

Really beautiful hike!

Really beautiful hike, with amazing views at the top! Our original plan was to just hike up to catherines pass, and then go down and hike cecret lake.But I am so glad we decided to just go up sunset peak instead! Moderate hike, with great views of Lake Catherine, Martha, and Mary! There was a little ice near the top of the peak, but nothing that was unmanageable.

Hiked this at 8 am on a Monday and was the only person on the trail. There was a beautiful amount of snow on the mountain today and the views from the top were amazing. I would absolutely do this hike again and recommend it!

Pretty views at the start. More nice views at the pass and higher of all the lakes. I hiked when there was a dusting of snow which was spectacular. For more info, visit https://etbtravelphotography.com/2019/10/08/hikes-in-little-cottonwood-canyon/

The most amazing views at sunset. Definitely a must. Great trail running down the mountain. One of my faves

Awesome trail, not long, not crowded, and comes with a spectacular 360° view at the end. One of my favorite hikes in the Wasatch.

Dry, but rewarding. Make sure you summit, not just stop at the Albion Ridge viewpoint, if you want to see all four mountain lakes below.

Beautiful hike as always w great weather (cloud cover). We started from the Alta side.

This hike was one of my favorites I’ve done in SLC so far! You’re really high up there so it was a little challenging at times but the view was worth it. We went for sunset and it was gorgeous. I loved this hike because there wasn’t just a beautiful view at the end, the entire hike along the way was amazing as well. Definitely recommend!

Beautiful and a relatively easy hike

Windy at the top

Amazing views for such easy access, 360 views of 3 Lakes, Timp, Heber, and Little Cottonwood! Interesting sandy terrain near the peak

Gorgeous views! If you are an avid hiker, I wouldn’t consider this hike hard. Very windy at the top, with loose rocks, dirt and drop off’s in spots.

Six of us in the group (3 teenagers, 2 adults and 1 9yo) started from the Albion Basin side around 8:30am. Beautiful wildflowers and it was the perfect temperature the whole way up. Made it to Sunset Peak at 9:45am. Great vistas at the top of Lakes Catherine, Martha and Mary. Also could see the backside of Timpanogos to the south. Terrain was good, 9yo did whine a little toward the summit but all-in-all the hike was fairly easy and worth the climb.

I started from Brighton. Followed the signs to Lake Mary and Catherine Pass. It was rocky and steep in some parts and in the areas where the lakes were, they’re were sooo many mosquitoes. Bring lots of water and insect repellent. The blossoms are in full bloom and it was really hard not to stop and take pictures. The steepest section was the last part of the hike. I used the app to help me navigate through that last part. I will be doing this again and next time it’ll be in the morning. I highly recommend doing it from the Brighton side instead of from Albion Basin.

Wildflowers are ALMOST starting to peak and surprisingly no bugs! Nice light breeze and easy incline