Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

Really nice hike. I usually go up to Catherine Pass from the Brighton side, going by all the lakes, but the Albion Basin side is nice too. The trail is a mile shorter if you are able to park right at the Catherine Pass trailhead. On the Albion Basin side you are going to have to deal with the entry fee and the limited parking unless you go early in the morning. Right now, you are also going to have to deal with road construction as well.

I have seen lots of moose and deer on this trail, but not today. And the wildflowers are pretty much out of bloom, but it's still very pretty. The views were not great this morning, because of all the forest fire smoke right now. The smoke probably doesn't help with the breathing at high altitude either.

From Catherine Pass you can go up to Sunset Peak on a very easy to follow trail, or you can go over to a high point that looks down on the top of the Supreme lift at Alta. The trail to Sunset Peak is fine, with a few steep sandy stretches which make me nervous coming down, but are really not a problem. If you go in the other direction at Catherine Pass, you are heading up to Mount Tuscarora and Mount Wolverine, which is more challenging.

The wildflowers were still in bloom, the views spectacular and a relatively easy hike for such a beautiful view.

Climbed from the Brighton side: 6 miles, 2 1/2 hours car to car. Gorgeous sunset!

One of my favorites!! I like to start at Brighton instead of Albion and the past 2 weeks have gone twice - leaving trailhead at 7 am and 6:20 am and both times still got crowded on the way down!!! Must go early to avoid crowds, even on a week day!! Love the lakes, flowers, and moose!

Really nice hike this morning. Sunrise from the pass was amazing. The flowers were still in bloom. Lots of colors.

Great hike!

One of me favorite trails!

I loved it!

Awesome!

Hiked 10.21.17 - Loved this trail! Get to pass lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine and end up at the peak where you can see all 3 lakes together. This is one of my favorite hikes I’ve done in the area. Beautiful views!

The trail is easy to follow. There was some snow when I hiked a couple weeks ago, but it was completely doable. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get to the top.

The trail had 4-6 inches of new snow early this morning and had the trail to ourselves except for bird and deer.

Awesome panoramic views at the top! Did this hike on 9/20. The trail had some snow on it and was a bit slippery but wasn’t too bad using caution. Totally worth the trek up! It’s a relatively moderate hike until the last little bit to get up to the peak but not hard in comparison to many other hikes up the cottonwood canyons.

Awesome hike with amazing panorama view at the top. Tiny bit of snow towards the top of the trail but nothing to be worried about.

Perfect magic hour hike

Nice hike. Did this hike from base of Brighton, went from Lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine to Catherine Pass. Nice easy pace, took me about 1:30.

Did this trail tonight. it isn't difficult and the view of the sunset and the lakes is non pareil. It was silent at night and you can see the stars. this may be my new favorite.

Beautiful hike, something I would take my non-hiker friends on. It's pretty warm during the day, try to hike it in the morning or evening.

This definitely should be one of the go-to hikes of SLC. Hike late summer to see all kinds of wildflowers, hummingbirds, deer, ground squirrels, and there's a good spot to see Moose if you get the timing right. As the name suggests I recommend starting in the early evening to see the sunset, just make sure to bring a headlamp/some sort of light for the way down.
Although, I really don't think this is a particularly difficult trail. There are a few areas that are steeper, but altogether this is a trail I'd take my parents/less physically-inclined friends to see.

Fun quick hike with great views

Monday, August 14, 2017

very scenic and I saw lots of wildlife!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

It took me three times to complete this, once because of snow, altitude sickness, and finally I took my time and didn't rush and man, was it worth every second and every trip. The best time to hike this trail is when the flowers are blooming because the views and scents are astounding. We started out early and hiked into the early morning to watch the sunrise. Even if you do not make it to the top, watching the sun suddenly brighten the sky and fall on those peaks is worth the experience. Even if you do not want to hike the trail, there is a beautiful valley of flowers by the parking lot. 10/10. Wish this was a hidden gem.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Constant incline, but it's absolutely worth the view. Also, be sure to bring bug spray if you decide to go later during the evening, the mosquitoes are relentless.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

The blooming wildflowers greet you almost the entire trail. Fantastic trail to enjoy them. 360 view of the environs at the summit.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Easy trail to follow all the way up! It's steep, but not to crazy. We took little breaks but eventually made it in a little over 2 hrs. If you're better with elevation than I am, it could be done sooner I'm sure. There were a few trail runners heading to the top.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Hard, but worth it.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great views from start to finish

Monday, July 17, 2017

very peaceful and rewarding.

Monday, July 17, 2017

This hike was so gorgeous! We started from the Brighton side and saw lots of wildflowers on the way to the peak and passed by the three alpine lakes. View from the peak is beautiful and definitely worth it! There were a ton of mosquitoes though- have bug spray!!! But once you get to the top there aren't as many bugs :) overall beautiful hike that I would recommend!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

I love this hike. It wasn't too difficult, but definitely a little steep towards the peak. The view was breathtaking. It's such a beauty.

My tips for this hike:
• Enter Little Cottonwood Canyon and go to Albion Basin parking lot. Wait for the free shuttle and asked to be dropped off at Catherine Pass trailhead.
• The trail will take you to the lake and then follow the sign that says sunset peak.
• Bring lots of water (gets steep)
• the shuttle only runs on weekends.
• There is a parking lot across the street from Catherine Pass trailhead.

Have fun! It's enjoyable. One of my new favorites.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

My favorite annual hike. My hope is to do a full hike from lit cot, over down to the Brighton lakes and get picked up at the bottom in big cot. Sunset is a great conditioning hike and has a great reward.