Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

Just did this yesterday. Still lots of snow up top. Worth it.

Hike up to Sunset Peak this morning from the Alta parking lot via Catherine Pass. Still a fair amount of snow on parts of the trail and spikes are recommended. Great views of many peaks and valleys along the way and up on the peak. Lake Catherine still has some ice on it but Martha and Mary are ice free.

Hiked this after the last snowfall we had in early October. Make sure and wear snow boots.

Love this hike. Great for trail running. View is awesome

One of my new favorites! We hiked from Brighton past Lake Mary, Lake Martha, and then Lake Catherine. The ridge looked so close we couldn't resist continuing, and then the peak was so close we had to go all the way! It was so beautiful from the peak we spent over 45 mins enjoying the view. I can't wait to go back!

Great Trail!

The trail towards the end is super sketchy at parts... Narrow, with a drop off on the side. A little scary, but the view from the top was absolutely worth it!!! Wow, breathtaking. I started at Alta and took Albion Meadows to the Catherine's pass hike then with the last part of this trail. It was definitely rough at times just on this trail though. The last 3/4 mile is straight up in sand. Bell's Canyon was definitely easier for me, but still, I love a good challenge. This is a must see and yes, I am dying to go back already!!

Hands down one of my new favorite hikes in the Wasatch! My husband and I set out to stop at Catherine's pass, but some hikers coming down convinced us to go a bit higher for the view. We were running low on water so decided not to go all the way to the peak, but the views even a few hundred feet below are still stunning. We will definitely be back in the fall for the colors (with more water) and make it to peak.