Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays]

Hiked 10.21.17 - Loved this trail! Get to pass lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine and end up at the peak where you can see all 3 lakes together. This is one of my favorite hikes I’ve done in the area. Beautiful views!

The trail is easy to follow. There was some snow when I hiked a couple weeks ago, but it was completely doable. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to get to the top.

The trail had 4-6 inches of new snow early this morning and had the trail to ourselves except for bird and deer.

Awesome panoramic views at the top! Did this hike on 9/20. The trail had some snow on it and was a bit slippery but wasn’t too bad using caution. Totally worth the trek up! It’s a relatively moderate hike until the last little bit to get up to the peak but not hard in comparison to many other hikes up the cottonwood canyons.

Awesome hike with amazing panorama view at the top. Tiny bit of snow towards the top of the trail but nothing to be worried about.

Perfect magic hour hike

Nice hike. Did this hike from base of Brighton, went from Lakes Mary, Martha and Catherine to Catherine Pass. Nice easy pace, took me about 1:30.

Did this trail tonight. it isn't difficult and the view of the sunset and the lakes is non pareil. It was silent at night and you can see the stars. this may be my new favorite.

Beautiful hike, something I would take my non-hiker friends on. It's pretty warm during the day, try to hike it in the morning or evening.

This definitely should be one of the go-to hikes of SLC. Hike late summer to see all kinds of wildflowers, hummingbirds, deer, ground squirrels, and there's a good spot to see Moose if you get the timing right. As the name suggests I recommend starting in the early evening to see the sunset, just make sure to bring a headlamp/some sort of light for the way down.
Although, I really don't think this is a particularly difficult trail. There are a few areas that are steeper, but altogether this is a trail I'd take my parents/less physically-inclined friends to see.

Fun quick hike with great views

very scenic and I saw lots of wildlife!

It took me three times to complete this, once because of snow, altitude sickness, and finally I took my time and didn't rush and man, was it worth every second and every trip. The best time to hike this trail is when the flowers are blooming because the views and scents are astounding. We started out early and hiked into the early morning to watch the sunrise. Even if you do not make it to the top, watching the sun suddenly brighten the sky and fall on those peaks is worth the experience. Even if you do not want to hike the trail, there is a beautiful valley of flowers by the parking lot. 10/10. Wish this was a hidden gem.

Constant incline, but it's absolutely worth the view. Also, be sure to bring bug spray if you decide to go later during the evening, the mosquitoes are relentless.

The blooming wildflowers greet you almost the entire trail. Fantastic trail to enjoy them. 360 view of the environs at the summit.

Easy trail to follow all the way up! It's steep, but not to crazy. We took little breaks but eventually made it in a little over 2 hrs. If you're better with elevation than I am, it could be done sooner I'm sure. There were a few trail runners heading to the top.

Hard, but worth it.

Great views from start to finish

very peaceful and rewarding.

This hike was so gorgeous! We started from the Brighton side and saw lots of wildflowers on the way to the peak and passed by the three alpine lakes. View from the peak is beautiful and definitely worth it! There were a ton of mosquitoes though- have bug spray!!! But once you get to the top there aren't as many bugs :) overall beautiful hike that I would recommend!

I love this hike. It wasn't too difficult, but definitely a little steep towards the peak. The view was breathtaking. It's such a beauty.

My tips for this hike:
• Enter Little Cottonwood Canyon and go to Albion Basin parking lot. Wait for the free shuttle and asked to be dropped off at Catherine Pass trailhead.
• The trail will take you to the lake and then follow the sign that says sunset peak.
• Bring lots of water (gets steep)
• the shuttle only runs on weekends.
• There is a parking lot across the street from Catherine Pass trailhead.

Have fun! It's enjoyable. One of my new favorites.