Sulphur Creek Route

Sulphur Creek Route is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 11.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,404 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This can be done as a one way hike that will be mostly downhill, or as an out and back. You will need to park a car at each end if you want to do a one way. Be aware that due to increased visitation, limited parking at the Chimney Rock trail head, and concern for visitor safety crossing HWY 24, the park has moved the official trail head for Sulphur Creek to the south side of the highway. The new parking area is a large pullout located 0.25 miles west along highway 24, on the south side of the highway.

Did this trail yesterday from chimney rock parking. Weather was clear but a cool breeze most of the time. We had our 3, 6 and 12 year old. Done this hike many times and know how to get through the obstacles. This time however, We had to swim through 7 feed deep water for about 15-20 ft of the trail. This was just past the first waterfall. Plan accordingly. It was very fun but we weren’t prepared for it!

Did this hike on September 5th. I parked at Visitor center and got a lift to the trail head near chimney rock. By lift I mean hitchhiking and the 4th car (Oregon plate unsurprisingly!) picked us up. Quite literally as we were in the box of a pick up truck. Anyways, about the trail. It took us about 3.5 hours but we made frequent stops for pics and all. There was quite a bit of water and a few places truly required getting wet all the way to shoulder level. The rest of it was ankle deep mostly. I terms of shoes, I'd recommend old sneakers that you don't mind getting all wet. The first and second waterfall were a little tricky to go down. By that I mean that you had to find the proper way to "avoid" them. The third supposedly had a bypass that I actually didn't even see! But it was not that hard to go down to the right of it (a 5 ft climb down at most).

We did from the visitor center to the last waterfall and come back: we did almost 10 km and it was really amazing and fun. In this way you don’t need a second car. Highly recommended.

This is the best hike in the park. So much fun! I parked at the visitors center and walked the road to the trail head. A few things- talk to the rangers about the conditions and flash flood probability. Someone on here recommended water shoes like chacos- don’t. Just wear sneakers or hiking shoes. I spent a lot of time picking rocks out of my sandals. For waterfall number one if you stay all the way to right on the ledge until you can’t go anymore you will see hand holds and places to put your feet to lower your self down. Waterfall number- two stay to the right and go around the big black rock and you will see a place to lower down easily. For number 3. Sit down and ride it like a slide. The water was very high and I did have to swim through a narrow point after waterfall one. From what I heard from others ,this is unusual. So for that reason bring a dry bag for anything you don’t want to get wet. I highly recommend this hike it was AWESOME!

Lots of water! One passage was so deep, our bags were hefted above our heads while we treaded water. One waterfall was spectacular and provided for a 15' & 35' cliff jump. Good times! Several other hikers were unprepared for the depth of water and the technical passages due to the extra water.

We loved this hike, especially our kids (15, 12 and 9). After checking in at the visitors center to get a map and make sure the creek wasn’t flowing too fast, we headed upstream from the visitors center since we only had one car. Water was murky but was not flowing too fast to prevent us from doing the hike. It was fun walking through the creek. You have to get your feet went on this hike but you don’t have to be in the creek the whole time. Negotiating the lower falls was a little tricky. You had to climb up the right hand ledge (facing upstream) and shimmy across with your feet in a crack to the waterfall. From there we hopped across the water and made our way upstream. From there, it seemed like a long hike up to the middle and upper falls but they were cool to see. The upper falls had a lot of cutouts and overhangs so they were neat to see. Getting past both of the falls took some negotiating and bouldering, but it was doable. At the upper falls we turned around and headed back downstream. At the lower falls, we didn’t climb down the falls. You can go down the waterfall like a water slide (feet first). Just be careful of the landing... there was a hole at the bottom of waterfall that was only 3-4 feet deep so you’ll definitely hit the gravel bottom. And there was a hard rock bottom just to the right of the hole that was maybe two feet deep. Read the water and aim for the deep hole, depending on the water level. In total our GPS had the out and back hike to the upper falls as 8 miles. I think this would be better than taking the road since we loved just hiking through the creek the whole time.

We started at the visitors center and walked approximately 3 miles uphill on highway 24 to the chimney rock parking and trailhead. On the opposite side of the street starts the sulfur creek route. The views along highway 24 are good including the castle and chimney rock and we did the slight detour to panorama point as well. We contemplated following the unpaved road to the gooseneck overlook and sunset point trail but with the height of the canyon wall we don't believe there is a way to reach sulfur creek with that route. The trail was well worth the 9.5 miles it took to complete with our route. Walking through the wash on the way to the creek gave some beautiful views of the canyon. You will know when you reach the three waterfalls as they are very unique to the rest of the hike. It is possible to climb down all three but it is not without a little creative thinking. If we were to take this hike again we would start at the visitors center and walk up the creek to the last waterfall and return by the same route as there is not a ton to see past the last waterfall.

Thu Aug 23 2018

Awesome hike! One of our favorites have done this twice this summer. Stay to the right on the first 2 waterfalls & the 3rd waterfall makes an awesome end to the hike with a water slide into a plunge pool..

Fri Aug 17 2018

Best ever hike. We almost turned back when reaching one of the waterfall, but at the end we made it :-) (with 8 & 10 years old).

Mon Aug 13 2018

So much fun for both young and old! If you don’t want to of can do the whole hike, start at the VC and work your way back to the third waterfall. From there you can determine if you want to go a little further. VC has a detailed map.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Hiked this two summers ago. We parked one car at the visitors center for when we were done to ferry us back to our starting point at Chimney Rock. Once we reached the Sulphur stream , we walked the entire remaining hike in the river . There is a large tree at about the halfway point that makes for a great lunch stop. We did it with a 3 yr old and she walked all but the last mile or so. Beautiful !

Wed Jul 11 2018

Loved it! So refreshing.

Wed Dec 27 2017

fun. not for children under 12, there a couple of places the trail skirts waterfalls which can be challenging without river shoes with a good grip.

Thu Sep 07 2017

8 stars if I could! This is BY FAR our families favorite hike. Walking in the water most of the way and lots of shade in the morning, we barely broke a sweat. The falls were lots of fun to clamber around. Make sure to slide down the last one...SO MUCH FUN! Had to climb back up to do it repeatedly! In case you haven't gotten the idea, we HIGHLY recommend this route!

Mon Mar 21 2016

Fun and simple hike. Be prepared to get a bit wet, as you cross the creek 12 times in a mile.

Sun Apr 26 2015

Hiked the Sulphur Creek trail from the Chimney Rock trailhead. Very easy hike that descends down to the confluence with Sulphur Creek. Right below the confluence there is a ~10 foot drop off a rock that has to be navigated, still made it with my 7 yo daughter.

Sat Feb 07 2015

The massive rock and clay formations are impressive. They make you feel so small in this world. I can't complain about the road or the views, which were both awesome, but there were very few areas to pull over and enjoy the sites. I'm one that prefers to get out for a minute and soak it in, and many of the pullouts were in areas that didn't have the best views.

Sun Oct 05 2014

I LOVE YOU !!!

Fri Jun 20 2014

I love Southern UT

Wed Mar 19 2014

I recommend driving the Burr Trail and seeing Strike Valley Overlook. Also take the drive to Capitol Gorge, and the hike to the tanks is pretty cool. Navajo Rocks is the hike to do along highway 24. This place is wild. Read up on the geology at the visitors center.

Sun Mar 17 2013

Rather unique place. Check out the deer at the campground.

Sat Mar 12 2011

Great scenary. Worth the trip.