Learn more

Sulphur Creek Route is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Torrey, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October.

Length 5.8 mi Elevation gain 410 ft Route type Point to Point

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

While this route can be done as an out and back, hiking it as a one way is the more popular option. As this is a river canyon hike that is mostly downhill the route is typically done as a one-way, top-down hike requiring a car shuttle. You will need to park a car at each end if you want to do a one way. Be aware that due to increased visitation, limited parking at the Chimney Rock trail head, and concern for visitor safety crossing HWY 24, the park has moved the official trail head for Sulphur Creek to the south side of the highway. The new parking area is a large pullout located 0.25 miles west along highway 24, on the south side of the highway.

Capitol Reef National Park HC 70 Box 15 Torrey, UT 84775 Phone, Visitor Information, (435) 425-3791 ext. 111

Traveling westbound on Interstate 70: Take Utah State Highway 24 west towards Hanksville (exit 149). Stay on Highway 24 for 95 miles to reach the park Visitor Center. Traveling on Interstate 15: Take US Highway 50 east at Scipio (exit 188) towards Salina for 30 miles. At the junction with Utah State Highway 89/259, turn right (south) and travel 8 miles. Turn left (east) onto Utah State Highway 24 towards Sigurd. Continue on Highway 24 for 82 miles to reach the park Visitor Center.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (114)
Photos (171)
Recordings (84)
Completed (257)
Nadia Andrade
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 01 2020

I'm giving the trail five stars because it was absolutely breath taking. I wish I had more fun doing it but I wanted to share my experience to capture my annoyance with misleading information people provide when they talk about the trails. I don't really hike so when I was explained that this was easy because there wasn't much of an elevation gain/drop, it sounded reasonable. I was aware I would get wet, I had enough water and was comfortable with the clothes I wore. Even with that, I guess I missed the part about scrambling down 12ft sections where the water falls are. I'm 5'3 so I had to swim one of the sections and needed a friend to carry my stuff across because I couldn't. The last waterfall was frustrating because there was no clear way to bypass it and because I'm short, I didn't want to endanger myself sliding down a waterfall I had never been to. Our group learned there was a trail to bypass this part but we didn't find a trail from the creek itself. We had to climb high out of the creek, again I needed help because I'm short and needless to say I require more arm and leg strength to pull myself up and I was not conditioned for this at all. It was 100 feet of climbing (to me it was) before we found the bypass trail. My vertigo kicked in so bad, the trail was steep and somewhat slippery and I was afraid of slipping and falling the entire time. I really recommend they just put a rail here to hold on to. Aside from that, it was beautiful. The website said this trail is easy but I looked online that easy just refers to elevation, apparently trails are divided into classes and if you are familiar, I would say this trail is inconsistent and is a mix between classes 1, 2 and 3. Information I could have used prior. This hike is not short people friendly but props if this doesn't stop you. Just throwing out there, no dogs are allowed, and for good reason, this is not a safe trail for a dog. Since there is water most of the way, beating the heat is easy, the first bit of the trail getting to the creek is not bad either.

Samantha Suarez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020

If you are reading this review you need to just do this hike, period. It's amazing. I won't bore you on details, go to the visitor center and ask for the sulfur creek info it tells you how to scramble around the falls. it's totally manageable and not overly challenging. My husband and I hiked June 28 up the road for 3 miles then down from the trailhead, totalling 9 miles. Here are questions I had that I can now answer: 1) shoe choice: we wore boots for the road and dry river bed, then I switched to chacos without socks at the water and my husband put on socks and tevas. I was fine and then after about an hour and a half in the water, my pruny feet were feeling every little pebble and it started hurting/annoying me so I put socks on, too. Socks provided the extra cushion I needed. Socks and sandles were perfect and since we didn't wanna wet our boots we were happy. 2) water depth: I'm a 5'7 female. deepest part of the water was slightly above chest height, well below my neck and I did not need to swim, I could walk it. 99% of the river is ankle deep, there are a few sections of knee to waist deep, and then one short section of the chest height water. 3) absolutely slide down the last falls do this hike you won't regret it!!

Dell Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

The only people not to give this five stars did not do the entire route. It’s all about the crescendo. Look up from your feet to take in the incredible rugged beauty of the canyon walls. Great little hike that most people will be able to do.

Midori B.
Hiking

Super fun and scenic hike! One of the best hikes our family has done. My husband dropped me and our kids off at Chimney Rock trail head, drove back to park at the visitor center and biked back to us. The road back to Chimney Rock is uphill so it took for a while for him to get back (I think it’s about 3 miles) but the restroom at the trail head gave us some shade and even had a little bench by it. Climbing down around the waterfalls wasn’t super hard but still a little challenging for me since I’m short and made the hike more interesting. We saw some tadpoles in the river. We stopped to enjoy the surroundings many times so it took us about 4 hours and 20 minutes to complete the hike but I’m sure we could’ve done it a lot quicker if we didn’t stop so often. Very beautiful hike.

Michael Spiro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

A short scenic hike that reminded me a bit of the narrows in Zion on a small scale. We only went to the awesome little first of three waterfall. Perfect for kids. From reading the other reviews sounds like the other waterfalls are worth it

Jeff Dart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

Great hike. We have a 4 year old and he was able to make it. We had 2 vehicles so we parked one at the visitor center then drove to chimney Rock parking lot. We ended up walking exactly 7 miles with some playing and detours. On the 1st and 2nd waterfalls there is paths to the right to get down without going down the falls, which is beneficial to know (especially on the second.) recommend a waterproof bag of some sort for electronic devices. About 10 feet of chest high water, and a few places of waist high. Start early because the first mile or two has no water and is pretty exposed to sun.

Shlomo Siegelman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

Best hike I've done in a long time. Started from Visitors Center and followed the creek to the three waterfalls, total trip there and back took about 7.5 miles. People were hiking through the waterfalls but there were also ways to hike over/around if you have electronics on you.

Andrea Ditter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
Hiking

One of the best NP hikes I’ve ever done!At the suggestion of a ranger, we started at the Visitors’ Center and did the highway walk first, before the heat of the day. If you don’t want to hitchhike, I highly recommend this option. Note: I wore waterproof Keens the whole way (with socks on the highway) and had absolutely no issue. Make sure you are prepared to wade through chest-deep water (wear a swimsuit or quick dry clothing) We also had no issue keeping all our belongings dry by carrying our backpacks over our heads!

Blake Bohe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 21 2020
Hiking

Loved this trail! We actually did it backwards, starting at the visitor center and I’m glad we did. There are three waterfalls that you have to go through, and I would rather scramble up than down—you have a little more control climbing up. Great hike to beat the heat with water in 90% of it. Because of the climbing Involved, it’s best to go with people who might be able to help you. There is one part where the water gets quite deep, (I’m 6ft tall and it was to my chest), so we carried our packs overhead.

Peter Kehr
Hiking

Did this in late June. The perfect way to beat the heat at the park. Didn’t have a second car so stashed my bike at the visitor center and rode back to TH from there

Ken Carlson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
Hiking

Super fun easy hike. It is a great destination hike. I did it with my wife and two daughters aged 3 and 5. We all loved it.

Rachel Warnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingScramble

This was a trail we picked almost looked-over and are so glad we didn’t! We got there at 8am and didn’t see a single person until the third waterfall (a mile from the end). This is a point-to-point trail but we grabbed a ride with two lovely people at the visitor center to get us back to our car at the trailhead. It would NOT have been fun to walk up the road’s shoulder in the midday sun. This was one of our favorite hikes of the trip. Bring hiking shoes for the sandy bits and water shoes for the rest. You’ll encounter one part where you have to swim through chest-deep water to pass it so wear swimsuits! The first two waterfalls were easy and clear scrambles down on the right side of each. The third waterfall, however, you could scramble around it but DON’T! The river makes almost a little water slide to drop you into the pool at the bottom and a safe landing, even for two adults. We even climbed back up it to do it again because it was so fun. What a treat!

Hefty Hiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Amazing trail! Our kids (10/12) said it was their favorite trail ever! Hot and dry in the full sun for 2 miles or so, but easy walking. I’m surprised this is not labeled hard due to intense scrambling by waterfall points.. We were lucky we met a nice group that has scrambled around the waterfalls before. The first falls stay to the right, it was easier for me to go down on my belly and dangle to find footing. The second falls stay to the right, the scramble was all arm lowering into a hole and through a tiny cave hole but easier than the first. Third waterfall would be hardest to descend, but we decided to just go down the falls since it is angled. I was so nervous but as soon as I hit the bottom which was sandy I started a whole lineup of folks enjoying a nice little ride down the falls. It was about 5 feet deep at the bottom. My kids wished they could somehow climb back up and keep going down. Wear good shoes on this trail as it is sand, pebbles, small to large rocks, scrambling and swimming.

Jon Hobbs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 04 2020
Hiking

Fantastic creek trail...Reminded me of exploring creeks as a kid in Midwest except this one has amazing rock walls and views around every bend. Throw in a few waterfalls for excitement and made for a very memorable hike! Luckily we were able to hitch a ride from visitor center the 3ish miles back to parking/trailhead from a kind Samaritan.

Ashley Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 30 2020
HikingRocky
View Ashley's Recording
Eve M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Absolutely loved this hike yesterday 5/23! My mom and I started at the trailhead on the main road then hiked down to the visitors center. There are three total waterfalls and it is gorgeous the whole way but BE PREPARED FOR THIS HIKE. You will get wet. Luckily I had quick-dry clothes on head to toe (for footwear I recommend Tevas, water shoes, or a pair you don’t care about getting wet, or a change of shoes. My mom recommends knee-high rain boots you can take off before the swimming part and put back on later) but we had to swim across about 10-15 feet at one point, and we’re glad we had plastic bags to wrap our electronics in our backpacks in. Bring a day pack and do not bring anything too valuable in case of water-logging. There’s some scrambling my mom and I did to get around the first two waterfalls (we had to get barefoot for better footing to climb down one wall to avoid the waterfall) and I was scared at first but it was doable. Once we got to the third waterfall we realized the pool of water it feeds into is super deep and we would not have made it with two people. We turned around thinking we couldn’t complete it and luckily ran into a group of extremely nice people who told us they saw a tiny sign on the trailhead that says to take a detour and climb up to your right at the third waterfall. This will lead you up to the end of the hike at the visitors center about 20-30 mins after that third waterfall. This was not clearly marked so make sure you’re paying attention to the stacked cairns once you get there or else you’ll be stuck in the canyon. Amazing hike though, just know what you’re getting into and it’s seriously one for the books!

Monica Theriot
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 23 2020
Hiking

Great trail. 3 waterfalls. Section before the 2nd waterfall is about 5 feet deep for 20 feet or so.

View Monica's Recording
Cassie Shelton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 20 2019
HikingWashed out

Did this trail yesterday from chimney rock parking. Weather was clear but a cool breeze most of the time. We had our 3, 6 and 12 year old. Done this hike many times and know how to get through the obstacles. This time however, We had to swim through 7 feed deep water for about 15-20 ft of the trail. This was just past the first waterfall. Plan accordingly. It was very fun but we weren’t prepared for it!

Vincent Adin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 06 2019
Hiking

Did this hike on September 5th. I parked at Visitor center and got a lift to the trail head near chimney rock. By lift I mean hitchhiking and the 4th car (Oregon plate unsurprisingly!) picked us up. Quite literally as we were in the box of a pick up truck. Anyways, about the trail. It took us about 3.5 hours but we made frequent stops for pics and all. There was quite a bit of water and a few places truly required getting wet all the way to shoulder level. The rest of it was ankle deep mostly. I terms of shoes, I'd recommend old sneakers that you don't mind getting all wet. The first and second waterfall were a little tricky to go down. By that I mean that you had to find the proper way to "avoid" them. The third supposedly had a bypass that I actually didn't even see! But it was not that hard to go down to the right of it (a 5 ft climb down at most).

Brighton Okerlund
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 05 2019
HikingMuddyScramble

It was a lot of fun. Had to swim in one part but you could scramble around all the waterfalls. The fall closest to the visitors center is the hardest to get around. I would defiantly do it again

View Brighton's Recording
AllTrails User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 21 2019
Hiking

We did from the visitor center to the last waterfall and come back: we did almost 10 km and it was really amazing and fun. In this way you don’t need a second car. Highly recommended.

Lynn Larrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 12 2019
Hiking

This is the best hike in the park. So much fun! I parked at the visitors center and walked the road to the trail head. A few things- talk to the rangers about the conditions and flash flood probability. Someone on here recommended water shoes like chacos- don’t. Just wear sneakers or hiking shoes. I spent a lot of time picking rocks out of my sandals. For waterfall number one if you stay all the way to right on the ledge until you can’t go anymore you will see hand holds and places to put your feet to lower your self down. Waterfall number- two stay to the right and go around the big black rock and you will see a place to lower down easily. For number 3. Sit down and ride it like a slide. The water was very high and I did have to swim through a narrow point after waterfall one. From what I heard from others ,this is unusual. So for that reason bring a dry bag for anything you don’t want to get wet. I highly recommend this hike it was AWESOME!

Gregory Shaffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 10 2019
Hiking

Lots of water! One passage was so deep, our bags were hefted above our heads while we treaded water. One waterfall was spectacular and provided for a 15' & 35' cliff jump. Good times! Several other hikers were unprepared for the depth of water and the technical passages due to the extra water.

Mary Y
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 21 2019
Hiking

We loved this hike, especially our kids (15, 12 and 9). After checking in at the visitors center to get a map and make sure the creek wasn’t flowing too fast, we headed upstream from the visitors center since we only had one car. Water was murky but was not flowing too fast to prevent us from doing the hike. It was fun walking through the creek. You have to get your feet went on this hike but you don’t have to be in the creek the whole time. Negotiating the lower falls was a little tricky. You had to climb up the right hand ledge (facing upstream) and shimmy across with your feet in a crack to the waterfall. From there we hopped across the water and made our way upstream. From there, it seemed like a long hike up to the middle and upper falls but they were cool to see. The upper falls had a lot of cutouts and overhangs so they were neat to see. Getting past both of the falls took some negotiating and bouldering, but it was doable. At the upper falls we turned around and headed back downstream. At the lower falls, we didn’t climb down the falls. You can go down the waterfall like a water slide (feet first). Just be careful of the landing... there was a hole at the bottom of waterfall that was only 3-4 feet deep so you’ll definitely hit the gravel bottom. And there was a hard rock bottom just to the right of the hole that was maybe two feet deep. Read the water and aim for the deep hole, depending on the water level. In total our GPS had the out and back hike to the upper falls as 8 miles. I think this would be better than taking the road since we loved just hiking through the creek the whole time.

Brice Abbott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 06 2019
Hiking

We started at the visitors center and walked approximately 3 miles uphill on highway 24 to the chimney rock parking and trailhead. On the opposite side of the street starts the sulfur creek route. The views along highway 24 are good including the castle and chimney rock and we did the slight detour to panorama point as well. We contemplated following the unpaved road to the gooseneck overlook and sunset point trail but with the height of the canyon wall we don't believe there is a way to reach sulfur creek with that route. The trail was well worth the 9.5 miles it took to complete with our route. Walking through the wash on the way to the creek gave some beautiful views of the canyon. You will know when you reach the three waterfalls as they are very unique to the rest of the hike. It is possible to climb down all three but it is not without a little creative thinking. If we were to take this hike again we would start at the visitors center and walk up the creek to the last waterfall and return by the same route as there is not a ton to see past the last waterfall.

Mitchel Shervin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Aug 23 2018

Awesome hike! One of our favorites have done this twice this summer. Stay to the right on the first 2 waterfalls & the 3rd waterfall makes an awesome end to the hike with a water slide into a plunge pool..

Rita Radnai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 17 2018

Best ever hike. We almost turned back when reaching one of the waterfall, but at the end we made it :-) (with 8 & 10 years old).