Sugarloaf Peak

Sugarloaf Peak is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

skiing

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays] Short hike past Cecret lake to the easiest 11er in the Wasatch Front. This trail winds up through Albion Basin (famous for it's wildflowers) until it reaches Cecret Lake. From there, follow the obvious trail to the right of the lake and up the ridge to a small saddle where it joins a service road. This road winds up the basin until it reaches the top of the Sugarloaf Lift for Alta Ski Area, from there, it is a quick (and briefly steep) scramble up to the Sugarloaf Summit. Enjoy the view!

I loved this hike. You get awesome views of Devils Castle and Sugarloaf from the very beginning. From Cecret Lake I went up between Devils Castle and Sugarloaf. I explored Devils Castle for a bit then walked the ridge up to Sugarloaf. It looked like it was going to be way far but it was really easy to the top. I went down the other side since that is supposed to be the "easy" way. I guess I went the wrong way because I never picked up a trail going down and the loose rocks really sucked. I climbed down a little cliffy area which was really fun and made my way back to the lake. The way I went wouldn't really be suitable for young kids but my 10 year old would have done it just fine. Also, I did this in the evening and it was awesome. The lighting on the rocks was really pretty.

Really fun hike. It definitely should not be rated easy. Probably moderate to hard. The end was super steep. The views and sights are fantastic though, and I really liked the hike.

This could've been a much easier hike than what we did! When you get to cecret lake go to the right side and go up the ski lifts to the pass. The west side approach is about as steep, but is shorter and less exposed. We came up the north side and down the west. The west side was way better!

Up Albion to the lift, followed that up a snowfield to the top and then east up another snowfield to the trail. Snow free at the peak. Ski poles helpful for balance, microspikes helpful but not necessary. Returned by glissading down from the saddle between Devils Castle and the peak. RT was about 6 miles. 2400 feet elevation gain. Beautiful 360 degree views.

Went up beginning of October and did not encounter anyone else on the trail aside from those going to Cecret. A little harder because of a little bit of leftover snow and mud on the trail. Overall a fairly easy peak but definitely an uphill challenge

Monday, August 01, 2016

not bad hike up to cecret lake continuing to the peak it gets a bit tougher steep the last bit

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Great hike. If you want to stand on top of a 11,000 peak for a minimum of effort this is the hike for you. It's relatively short, but is rather steep. Great views in all directions, and our of the 4 times I've done this hike I have always been alone on the summit.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Nice hike. If you want to feel the thrill of being on top of a peak but don't have all day to do it, this is a great hike.

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Awesome hike! I wouldn't say easy, but so worth it.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

hike to the lake is busy but beautiful. hike up to the peak is steep and steeper in some spots, but short. We took are 10 year old and she did pretty well. I would do it again and explore some of the other trails up. Beautiful area! Sad to see the ski resorts starting to tear up the mountain on the American Fork side.

Friday, August 07, 2015

Very easy peak to summit and also one of the easiest Wasatch 11'ers. Took us right at an hour to get up the mountain from the Albion Basin campground parking lot and about an hour and a half getting down. We came down the opposite side of the way we came and it was mostly a small boulder field with loose rock that made for slow going (this was the side you can see the actual road up to Sugarloaf). I recommend anyone with the ability to walk up the side of a mountain do this peak. It's relatively easy with beautiful views in all directions. And you can also add the more rugged Devil's Castle to your list while there (I have yet to, but will one day when I feel confident enough).

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Looking for an easy introduction to 11ers? Maybe you're limited for time and need something shorter? Perhaps you want something not too technical for those younger ones? Whatever your reason, this one shouldn't disappoint and has absolutely amazing views for the effort required to complete it. Not to mention, Albion Basin in late July early August is THE place to be for wildflowers in the Wasatch. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 21, 2015