Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Sugarloaf Peak and Cecret Lake is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sandy, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,801 feet Route Type: Loop

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays] Short hike past Cecret lake to the easiest 11er in the Wasatch Front. This trail winds up through Albion Basin (famous for it's wildflowers) until it reaches Cecret Lake. From there, follow the obvious trail to the right of the lake and up the ridge to a small saddle where it joins a service road. This road winds up the basin until it reaches the top of the Sugarloaf Lift for Alta Ski Area, from there, it is a quick (and briefly steep) scramble up to the Sugarloaf Summit. Enjoy the view!

I don't recommend going the way they tell you on the map. We went that way and it was very difficult and then found a short cut to get back to cecret lake and cut off about 1 mile. Here is what I would recommend in the future: I would go to cecret lake and make a counter clockwise loop and find devil's elbow which will lead to sugarloaf pass road, and you can do the course in reverse. Then I would come back down the same way. The gradient is less steep this way

The first part of this trail leads to Cecret Lake. Not too difficult but a little climb at the end to the lake. The next part to the peak is definitely not moderate but very steep and mostly exposed to the sun. We ended up turning back just before reaching the peak. Another group coming down said the trail was hard to see once they were at the top so they turned back as well. Great views as you climb but Sunset Peak is probably just as good with a better trail and easier climb.

This should be hard not moderate after passing the lake we where not prepared for the hike at all...We got to the summit by devils castle and the trail just ends we where not prepared for the trail or the condition... Amazing views from every direction. I will do it again now that I know what I’m in for and with hiking poles ect..

Started around 12:30pm from the Albion Basin Campground, heading directly to Cecret Lake. Made summit about 3:50pm; had stopped multiple times for pictures and to catch breath (new to SLC). Followed Cecret Lake Trail southwest to Sugarloaf Pass which is just between Baldy (Snowbird) and Sugarloaf (Alta) chairlifts. Followed trail up and east to summit, returning to Cecret Lake going down steep trail that lies just before path (look for cool "stone chair"!) towards Devils Castle. Recommend to start earlier so you can hit both the summit and and castle (maybe next time!). INCREDIBLE 360 VIEWS.

DO IT FOR SUNRISE!!! We slept in our cars at the trailhead and started hiking around 5am, summited by 6:20 with an incredible 360 degree view. Mellow hike to the lake, then a pretty steep climb to the ridge line. Scramble to the summit from there but overall an accessible trail for the view it offers.

Everything is so green right now! It is a beautiful hike.

Did this on the 3rd and got stuck in a major hail and lightning storm! We were off the ridge line by the time it was over us, but we still had a ways to go. We went around and up from the backside instead of going up the face. I did that once and it was strap and exposed. The backside is longer, but not exposed at all. 4.2 miles to the point from the first Alta parking lot and via cecret lake. We came down via Germania Gulch.

Sugarloaf peak is very underrated! The views from the top are amazing! Try and get there by sunrise for the best thing you’ve ever seen.

Still quite a bit of snow up there on July 4. Lost the trail a few times, but wandered/gps’d our way there just fine. Lovely. Too much snow atop Sugarloaf to peak, but enjoyed the view and opportunity to wander such beautiful countryside.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Great loop hike. especially early in the morning and getting to watch the first dawn and sunrise. We felt so good we climbed almost to the top of Devils Castle and then tacked on Mount Baldy to make it a 3 peak hat trick.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Went yesterday in beautiful weather. $6 after Alta resort to drive to the top, but worth it. Also worth it to park at the Albion Basin Campground instead of the Catherine's Pass lot. After Cecret Lake, a tiny section of the service road is blocked and under construction, but don't give up, just follow the lift up the hill. It took us 1.5 hours from parking lot to Sugarloaf peak, but with plenty of rest stops. It took us about 1.5 to get down too, but that's because the hill down the peak on the loop is very steep, but still recommended over going back the way you came because it has switch-backs and isn't as rocky as the way up. It also took us longer because at the bottom of the hill we went right instead of staying left closer to the lake, and that put us back a twenty minute detour. All things considered, you could get up there after breakfast and be done for lunch, but I'd recommend snacks. So beautiful!!!

Mon Aug 06 2018

Did the hike from cecret lake the morning or 8/5. We went up and down via the service road (to the right of cecret lake), instead of doing the loop, because my map wasn’t loading. The ascent from the top of sugarloaf lift to sugarloaf peak was very steep and pretty difficult, especially going down- lots of loose rock. It sounds like going down the other side towards devil’s castle is probably easier, so I would try that next time.

Tue Sep 05 2017

I loved this hike. You get awesome views of Devils Castle and Sugarloaf from the very beginning. From Cecret Lake I went up between Devils Castle and Sugarloaf. I explored Devils Castle for a bit then walked the ridge up to Sugarloaf. It looked like it was going to be way far but it was really easy to the top. I went down the other side since that is supposed to be the "easy" way. I guess I went the wrong way because I never picked up a trail going down and the loose rocks really sucked. I climbed down a little cliffy area which was really fun and made my way back to the lake. The way I went wouldn't really be suitable for young kids but my 10 year old would have done it just fine. Also, I did this in the evening and it was awesome. The lighting on the rocks was really pretty.

Thu Aug 24 2017

Really fun hike. It definitely should not be rated easy. Probably moderate to hard. The end was super steep. The views and sights are fantastic though, and I really liked the hike.

Sat Jul 29 2017

This could've been a much easier hike than what we did! When you get to cecret lake go to the right side and go up the ski lifts to the pass. The west side approach is about as steep, but is shorter and less exposed. We came up the north side and down the west. The west side was way better!

Thu Jun 22 2017

Up Albion to the lift, followed that up a snowfield to the top and then east up another snowfield to the trail. Snow free at the peak. Ski poles helpful for balance, microspikes helpful but not necessary. Returned by glissading down from the saddle between Devils Castle and the peak. RT was about 6 miles. 2400 feet elevation gain. Beautiful 360 degree views.

Sun Oct 02 2016

Went up beginning of October and did not encounter anyone else on the trail aside from those going to Cecret. A little harder because of a little bit of leftover snow and mud on the trail. Overall a fairly easy peak but definitely an uphill challenge

Mon Aug 01 2016

not bad hike up to cecret lake continuing to the peak it gets a bit tougher steep the last bit

Tue May 03 2016

Great hike. If you want to stand on top of a 11,000 peak for a minimum of effort this is the hike for you. It's relatively short, but is rather steep. Great views in all directions, and our of the 4 times I've done this hike I have always been alone on the summit.

Tue Apr 05 2016

Nice hike. If you want to feel the thrill of being on top of a peak but don't have all day to do it, this is a great hike.

Wed Oct 07 2015

Awesome hike! I wouldn't say easy, but so worth it.

Sat Aug 22 2015

hike to the lake is busy but beautiful. hike up to the peak is steep and steeper in some spots, but short. We took are 10 year old and she did pretty well. I would do it again and explore some of the other trails up. Beautiful area! Sad to see the ski resorts starting to tear up the mountain on the American Fork side.

Fri Aug 07 2015

Very easy peak to summit and also one of the easiest Wasatch 11'ers. Took us right at an hour to get up the mountain from the Albion Basin campground parking lot and about an hour and a half getting down. We came down the opposite side of the way we came and it was mostly a small boulder field with loose rock that made for slow going (this was the side you can see the actual road up to Sugarloaf). I recommend anyone with the ability to walk up the side of a mountain do this peak. It's relatively easy with beautiful views in all directions. And you can also add the more rugged Devil's Castle to your list while there (I have yet to, but will one day when I feel confident enough).

Sun Jul 26 2015

Looking for an easy introduction to 11ers? Maybe you're limited for time and need something shorter? Perhaps you want something not too technical for those younger ones? Whatever your reason, this one shouldn't disappoint and has absolutely amazing views for the effort required to complete it. Not to mention, Albion Basin in late July early August is THE place to be for wildflowers in the Wasatch. Enjoy!