Strongs Canyon Trail

Strongs Canyon Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

bridge out

old growth

4000 S Beus Drive (Roadside Parking), Skyline Drive Trailhead near east end of Steward Stadium, or 36th Street Trailhead where 36th Street turns south and merges with Skyline. No facilities.

Cons: Very rock, moderately steep, narrow trail that is overgrown in some locations.

Pros: All of the cons make this a terrific trail for solitude. It is shaded and follows a stream the entire way. There are lots of rock outcroppings and cliffs that you can climb and provide an excellent view. We saw lots of butterflies and birds. There are a couple of small places one could camp.

Pretty good workout. Went today 6/29 around noon with my sister and got caught between some rattlesnakes! One I went past but my sister saw, so with it being a pretty narrow trail and the snake being on the edge of the trail near the river, I went up and around the brush to go around it. Later we saw another one that was just too close, so we took a break to give it some time to get comfortable, then said a quick prayer and snuck past it as it slept. Nice hike!

Love this hike. I guess if you are a very mild hiker it is “hard”. It’s a workout but I would have rated it moderate.

Beautiful, secluded trail! There is an official end of trail sign near the wooden bridge....that’s not the end at all! Keep going! There are several good overlook spots, and all of the trail runs alongside the creek in the shade. Some parts of the trail are hard to find when it crosses the creek (five or six times total), so we scrambled through some brush and rocks before we found the trail again. The trail eventually just ends, with no real overlook or waterfall. Regardless, it’s a beautifully wooded and shaded hike. We only saw a few people near the “end of trail” beginning. Took us about 4 hours in and out from the Beus Drive trailhead, with a few breaks and time spent re-finding the trail.

Tough little hike. Probably best with a partner. Trail gets a bit sketchy up a ways, nonetheless it's breathtaking in Oct. prepare for very rugged terrain.

Beautiful lightly trafficked trail. It was a bit hard to follow at places but it just stays near the stream.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Went passed the sign that said end of strong canyon, for about 1.5 miles there is trail afterwards it's grown over and gets kinda tricky. Beautiful along the water as you walk up the "trail". Snake, large animal scat and no other hikers.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This is a beautiful hike. I didn't make it to the top because we were losing sun quickly. It is similar to waterfall Canyon in difficulty, and you have to cross the river a few times. It's a really fun hike. definitely one of my new favorites.

Monday, March 20, 2017

The trail has turned into a river! Still an adventure.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

I love this trail. It is definitely a challenge but it's well worth it. I saw 1 person the entire time I was up there which gives me that, lone explorer vibe. The trail is a little hard to follow once you get all up in it but you can do it!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Easy to follow and well maintained trail. Best part of the hike is past the trail end sign; many places to stop and rest near the water.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

This is one of Ogden's best kept hikes. There are not a lot of people who make it up this one, they usually turn off on the main trail instead of keeping East. This canyon has so much to see. I try to make it up here several times a year.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Went up after a week of rain, and the stream is still overflowing. The stream crossings were difficult as there was no place to step and stay dry except for one crossing that had logs lashed together. It did have some great views, but I think I'll wait until fall before I hike this one again.

Monday, August 07, 2017