Stewart Falls Sundance Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Stewart Falls Sundance Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sundance, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September.

private property

This was a great fun, full of variety. Rather than do the 3.1 out and back trail (to the right of the chairlift as you look up (starts as a gravel access) I used the Sundance trail map and did the route others below have - take the chairlift to Ray’s Summit - there’s a sign saying “hikers get off here.” The lift is a nice break, hanging out, getting some great views of surrounding mountains and luxuriating in the the mountain breezes and the sounds of the aspens quaking. You’ll start on the Dry Lakes Loop which is also marked as the Stewart Falls trail, then head mostly downhill to Stewart Falls from there. The entire trail has excellent signage and is very easy to follow. This is a moderate trail, so you’ll have to keep your eyes on the trail as there are lots of rocks and roots and narrow spots on the single track to trip you up. I’d recommend taping or bracing any weak areas like ankles and/or wear traditional hiking boots vs trail runners. The first part of the trail is pretty shaded, then after you cross the stream at the falls, it goes back and forth between exposed and shaded with more exposure. I loved the variety of the trail and the scenery going this route, but if you have bad knees, you may want to do the 3.1 out and back as it’s uphill to the falls and downhill back. The route I took follows a downhill trend the whole way. I ended up with 4.0 mi total in a little over an hour.

I've hiked to Stuart Falls from the trailhead by Aspen Grove. But, I've wanted to hike to Stuart Falls from Sundance. That's a tough trailhead to find. Luckily, I stumbled on it. There aren't any signs -- just a little trail off a road through the Sundance community. I suggest asking the Sundance crew at Ray's lift for directions to find the trailhead. Definitely find your way to the trail. I prefer this trail to Stuart Falls over the one that starts just past Aspen Grove. Enjoy!

Did this with our 6yo and 8yo daughters. Definitely some places to get tripped up (roots and rocks on the trail) but overall nothing that could seriously hurt them. Take Rays Lift to Rays Summit (not Midway) and hang a right. Well marked trail winds through some trees and a meadow on the way to Stewart Falls. Cross the creek and hang a right to get back down to Sundance. Great way to spend a couple of hours.

Lucky to have my friend who lives across from the trail head! Beautiful hike, more beautiful than the main Trail head!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but there are zero signs to the trailhead and once I found where the trail starts, a welcoming sign saying that it's a private trail didn't allow for any exploration... Sundance... The town of "private property" and "no trespassing" signs.

Excellent hike