Steep Canyon Trail to Doubletop Mountain and Crescent Lake

Steep Canyon Trail to Doubletop Mountain and Crescent Lake is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lewiston, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

Sights are Crescent Lake, Doubletop Mountain In the summer there is a large field of wild flowers by the trail-head. This is primarily an ATV trail. There are no fees.

My cousin and I came here looking for a 'remote' hike. What we found was a mostly ATV path. We had an old map, no compass and no clue. We were trying to find Crescent Lake, but found a mosquito infested pond instead (after reviewing the map later, we assumed that was probably the 'lake'). We ended up camping by the stream instead (after fleeing from the swarms of mosquitoes). The stream was pleasant and followed the trail for most of the trip. The stream starts with a spring at the base of Doubletop Mountain. We meandered a bit on our way back, still hoping to find a real lake out here - but we went home empty handed.

I kind of like a challenge and 'roughing it' - so this wasn't all that bad. Picky hikers beware. Ultimately it was a 'miserable-funny' trip where we decided to go off the beaten path, and found a few surprises. I won't be doing this one again, but it was fun going somewhere unusual and 'winging' it.

All of that said - this might be a decent ATV location. Plus, this had THE MOST AMAZING field of wild flowers I have ever seen in my life... Every color and what seemed like 100 variety for what seemed like a mile. It got a couple of 'tough dudes' to get all sentimental. That field (at the trail-head) would be reason enough to bring a significant other here, if you lived within an hour drive.

4/5 stars for a little adventure, at least one source of water and a flurry of color.