Stairs Gulch Trail

Stairs Gulch Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

rock climbing

skiing

Stairs Gulch is an out and back trail located across Big Cottonwood Canyon Road from the Storm Mountain Amphitheater. There is no sign located at the trailhead but the trail is easy to spot from the road. It winds along side Stairs Gulch and a series of small waterfalls can be seen from numerous paths off the main trail. The trail ends at the river about .3 miles in but the river can be crossed a couple different times and adventurous hikers can continue. Be aware of your own skill and limitations.

Made it half way up with the whole family (the wife, 4yo, 2yo, newborn and my elderly mom). Needless to say we took it slow. It's a gradual uphill with some loose rock underfoot, the occasional boulder to navigate, and areas where the trail is overgrown. That being said, everyone was in good spirits and there were some great little pools and falls to stop and snack. We only saw one other hiker. I look forward to doing the full trail in the future.

I really like how secluded this trail is, hardly see anyone even on Sunday. It is beautiful near the water. Watch out for the stinging nettle and loose rocks on the trail though.

Nice trail, had a great view and the small waterfalls were nice. I had to scramble over it at some points when the trail was hard to spot. I definitely recommend waterproof boots with good grip.

Awesome trail. Very few people on it. You can basically hike up the creek the entire way. Lots of little waterfalls and plenty of pools of water you can have fun in. Very intense but rewarding hike. Bring shoes that have good tread and grip. They are definitely needed towards the end of the hike.

Amazing views but trail is heavily overgrown and footing is extremely loose. Not recommended for trail running. Would suggest hiking. Enjoy!

I've passed this trail for a few years and decided to give it a try today. So glad I did! It's so pretty! I would rate it as moderate, not hard. I like that the trail isn't marked, not so many people.

Great hike with beautiful small waterfalls and great views. A very territorial mountain goat lives up there and literally went out of its way to chase me and my hiking partner off the hill. So keep a look out!

This was a great hike. Love the waterfalls and river. There was still snow, but I still was in my running shoes. I would say it is not hard, but moderate for beginners.

Great out & back trail. It's been fairly warm here and the trail was relatively clear of ice and snow with the exception of a few patches. Crampons were not necessary, although we couldn't get all the way to the top due to high winds and lots of snow.

rock climbing

Beautiful!

Beautiful. It's more of a moderate trail than a hard one. It is beautuful, irregardless.

A great trail. Not so hard. But sometimes you will have to climb on wet rocks and logs.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Very beautiful and very lightly trafficked even on a Saturday. We started walking/bouldering along the river about .5 miles up and then took the trail down. Going up took about 3x longer but seeing all the little waterfalls up close and getting wet was the best part. Did have a rattle snake encounter though.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Very steep, but lovely hike.

Friday, July 07, 2017

It's a good hike and definitely a cool destination, gotta watch out for the snakes though!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Hard but definitely worth it

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Beautiful hike. Not really much of a trail once you get in a little bit. Had tons of fun jumping rock to rock following the stream up.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

I found the beauty here to be worth mentioning. we used the waterfall to climb a lot of it, not the trail. Super fun with my 4 year old.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Super fun, steep but not too hard

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Loved this trail!!

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Fun trail. Overgrown in places. A fairly steep trail with loose rock in places. A little bit of climbing and the river crossing was fun. Didn't quite make it to the end because the snow pack but a great short hike for the evening

Friday, June 03, 2016

Fun! Very steep and rocky in some places. River crossings . Prepare with bug spray and spf before , biting flies and lots of sun ! Not a long hike , but still a great one.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Loved this trail!! Crossing the river to get to the top was fun- if you don't have chaco's or hiking sandals don't worry, you can stay dry as you cross the river. The last part of the trail is still covered with snow and is beautiful!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Finding the Trailhead: You can park in front of a sign labeled "STORM MOUNTAIN QUARTZITES" and the trail is immediately behind that heading to the right. There is a small break in the trail where you're next to the road but it picks right back up again.
The Hike: Very steep and rocky but very short! Once you reach the river you can stop there or continue by crossing to the other side. We crossed and headed up a short distance and then ran out of trail and had to cross back again to the left side in order to continue. We followed this trail all the way up to where we could see a glacier-like snow mound from where the snow was running out. It was pretty cool! Coming back down you will need to cross the river twice again because you'll run out of trail for a portion on each side.

Monday, May 09, 2016

it was definitely worth crossing the river and going up to the top. there is a huge glacier right now that the river flows out of. The trail was beautiful and very green. take chaco or teva type shoes if you want to play in the river. pretty moderate and short.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Did this a few months ago with my toddler on my back. We had fun and stopped along the little waterfall multiple times to touch the water and take pictures!

Sunday, October 25, 2015

It's a beautiful, short trail that dead ends at the river. You can criss cross the river and follow the steeper, less defined trails on each side as well, if you don't mind pushing through some bushes and small trees, but keep in mind that the trail gets less defined the further back you go. During the fall, the colors are great, as well!

Saturday, October 17, 2015

It's not a long trail - but it's very pretty. We went in the middle of October, my daughters are 3 and they and our older kids really liked it. We used the mobile app and it took us right to the trailhead... if you turn the corner around the ampitheater you've gone too far. There was only one steep drop off area we saw, the rest is either pretty flat or kind of rocky, but everyone not only made it but had a great time. The waterfalls at the top are pretty minor (the highest we saw was a 3 foot drop) but there are quite a few of them and the kids had fun playing in/near the water.

Monday, September 14, 2015

pretty but nothing special. seems to have very little traffic.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Awesome short hike. Steep with some loose footing in places, particularly at the beginning, but appropriate for small children if supervised. Easy access to water with great views. Photo 14 shows the trailhead. Park on the opposite side of the road from Storm Mtn. Amphitheater or just a bit before (should be room for 2-3 cars). It's the first trail if headed up the canyon. Will totally do this trail again.